Creaky top mounts.. advice please

joeluth

Sooo had the boxster up on jack stands, front wheel off whilst changing the tie rod end (split boot) I noticed a pretty loud creaking coming from the top mounts (i think) whilst moving the hub left/right and or turning the steering wheel.

I hadn't noticed this before, maybe it's not making that noise when the full weight is on the struts... or maybe it's just quieter / being drowned out by the engine sound.

There's a vid on YT that is pretty much the exact sound - see below.

What do you reckon?  I'll read up a bit more on this, I think there's bearings in the top mount that go bad, or is it maybe rust up inside there?

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks

Joel

Well worth replacing these.  Sachs are the OE supplier and Sachs mount have be had for about £60 a pair if you look in the right place on eBay.

Can be changed without taking the suspension off the hub if your bottom arms and drop links are OK, you may also find your bump stop rubbers are perished and these can be changed at the same time.

It looks from that picture as if the metal ring that the top of the springs bears onto might be missing. When I replaced my top mounts I didn't realise that this was a separate item because it was securely stuck to the old top mount so I installed the new mounts without them. It got very creaky within a few miles. My local Porsche indie took one look and diagnosed the support ring had been left out. He said it was an extremely common mistake, he kept a supply of them for that reason but said people often do thousands of miles without realising. I managed to put my old ones back in by just realeasing the top mount  - a struggle but possible. Problem solved and steering felt better.

These are they https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod7066/Support-Ring-Porsche-996---997---986---987-99634351701/?source=doofinder

However, there is also a creak in the shock absorb itself. You can identify it by having both wheels off the ground and putting your finger on the damper piston while someone turns the steering as in your video. Thats how my shock sounds.

Thanks both!  I'll get some new top mounts, bump stops and see if I need those support rings too.

3 hours ago, SimonT001 said:

However, there is also a creak in the shock absorb itself. You can identify it by having both wheels off the ground and putting your finger on the damper piston while someone turns the steering as in your video. Thats how my shock sounds.

I can certainly feel the vibration in the strut when I move the wheel,( it's a creaky clicky ticky kind of thing) but figured it's just traveling down from the top mount.