Gear Oil Change - Worth it?

beaks

Hi,

My 3.2s (manual) has around 94k miles on it and as far as I know has never had its gear oil changed.

Is it worth doing and does anyone know if there's a schedule for it to be done?

To me it doesn't look that tricky aside from making sure the drain / fill plugs can be undone...

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated (also on what oil works best).

Cheers,

Ian B

14 minutes ago, beaks said:

Hi,

My 3.2s (manual) has around 94k miles on it and as far as I know has never had its gear oil changed.

Is it worth doing and does anyone know if there's a schedule for it to be done?

To me it doesn't look that tricky aside from making sure the drain / fill plugs can be undone...

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated (also on what oil works best).

Cheers,

Ian B

Don’t know where or why I think this but isn’t it 120k / 12 years for a manual gearbox ?

I can’t imagine that it’s a bad idea on any level irrespective of the published schedule.  

Had my 986 S 'box oil changed at about 90k miles and 18 years!  Oil wasn't bad smelling and had no metal in it and the shift felt better after it was done.  A bit like engines fresh oil is going to do no harm.

As per Paul P I believe it to be 12 years / 120K miles. I've replaced mine and it seems to be a little smoother but that could just be me wanting it to feel that way after putting the effort in. Would definitely recommend doing it if there is no record of it being replaced. It's very easy to do, just undo the fill bung first to make sure it comes out. Good luck. Ady

It is a fairly straight forward job if you have a reasonable experience. The change helped gear changes being a little easier and more precise in my 987.1. 

The oil and its age does affect gearbox action. For example, When I raced MotoX  back in the day, with clutch-less changes three meetings was the limit before changes were missed and the box would jump out of gear occasionally. Gearbox oil change everything went back too normal

Gear oil stinks so avoid spilling or getting on clothes.

Check the spec of oil you are using matches. You don't have to pay a fortune for a suitable oil

3 hours ago, AdyG said:

As per Paul P I believe it to be 12 years / 120K miles. I've replaced mine and it seems to be a little smoother but that could just be me wanting it to feel that way after putting the effort in. Would definitely recommend doing it if there is no record of it being replaced. It's very easy to do, just undo the fill bung first to make sure it comes out. Good luck. Ady

Yes - I had mine done at Cotswold Porsche late last year when she was 13 yrs old and at 95k - definitely felt better afterwards.

I changed the gearbox oil on my 987.1 Cayman earlier on this year. First change (as far as I could tell), 14 years old, 100k on the clock. 

Frankly, it didn't make much difference at all. Old oil looked OK and smelled OK, new oil went in easily enough and the gear shift may have been marginally improved but that really is it. As others have said, new oil isn't going to do any harm but had I known how much difference it would make (just about none at all) then I wouldn't have bothered. 

Interestingly, a gearbox oil change on my 944 makes a HUGE difference, and always has. Improves the shift no end, makes it quieter and smoother. I would do it every two years or so and it was an improvement each time. The 944 was an older car but I can't think that the gearbox technologies were that different. 

Definitely worth doing ,I use Millers TRX 75/90 synth,about 35 quid for 5lt, you will only need 2.8lt from memory,

Undo the full plug first and a little hand pump with a long hose is ideal.

Much smoother afterwards and that was on mine at 68K

What are people's views on brands of oil to use? Have seen Bally and others recommend the Millers TRX synth and elsewhere (possibly on here or PCGB forum), have seen recommendations for Motul Gear 300. Both are in a similar price bracket. There are cheaper alternatives however such as Mannol Extra. They are all synthetic 75/90 and appear to conform to similar specs. Mannol is not a well known brand over here but it's German and i've used their oil in the Octavia. 

thanks so much for everyone's feedback to my post.

I'll give it a go in the next month or so - for what it costs I believe it's worth doing.

assume the drain plug is same as photo below?

Pic1.jpg

...unless my head isn't wired up right the fill plug is on the N/S of the car?

cheers,

Ian B

Simple: choose an oil which is of the required specification and buy the cheapest one you can find. 

You are welcome to spend more on oil from companies with bigger marketing budgets if you wish. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, beaks said:

I'll give it a go in the next month or so - for what it costs I believe it's worth doing.

Pic1.jpg

cheers,

Ian B

Yes its the hex and on the 6 speed box the fill and the drain are the same. Also correct in that the drain plug is on the n/s of the car. For access its the 2x diagonal bars off and then the metal reinforcement plate.

Enjoy👍

Cheers Ady

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Simple: choose an oil which is of the required specification and buy the cheapest one you can find. 

You are welcome to spend more on oil from companies with bigger marketing budgets if you wish. 

That was more or less my thought process. I suspect Mannol is just not very well known over here, but neither was Aldi when I first shopped there as a student in Germany in 1978!

Edited by red rocket

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

What are people's views on brands of oil to use? Have seen Bally and others recommend the Millers TRX synth and elsewhere (possibly on here or PCGB forum), have seen recommendations for Motul Gear 300. Both are in a similar price bracket. There are cheaper alternatives however such as Mannol Extra. They are all synthetic 75/90 and appear to conform to similar specs. Mannol is not a well known brand over here but it's German and i've used their oil in the Octavia. 

Can only go by what I have used on four cars now, having used the Millers TRX and the gear change has been noticeably sweeter not saying any other oil would not give the same benefit, but proof is in the pudding!

1 hour ago, beaks said:

Pic1.jpg

cheers,

Ian B

👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

to answer my own question - 

yes it is worth it.

a noticeable difference, not night and day but enough.

the oil only cost me just shy of £30 and the job was pretty easy all things considered.

I bought a cheap electric oil transfer pump from Amazon which was pretty handy for the job.

IMG-2788.jpg

cheers,

Ian B

40 minutes ago, beaks said:

oil only cost me just shy of £30 and the job was pretty easy all things considered.

I bought a cheap electric oil transfer pump from Amazon which was pretty handy for the job.

Which oil did you go for and do you have a link for the pump pls?

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

Which oil did you go for and do you have a link for the pump pls?

Went for Millers TRX Synthetic 75w90.

Lots of people have different ideas on what works best but this was recommended by @bally4563

Link for pump - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B4RCG3J/

Cheers 🙂

• Thanks 1