A characteristic or a problem?

Bradders59

I have noticed that when I press the clutch pedal and lift off the throttle to change gear the revs seem to jump a couple of hundred rpm for an instant before dropping.

Never experienced this before.

Anyone have an explanation ? Not overly bothered by it, just a bit puzzled.

I have a tip box on my car, but did notice this when I had a 6 speed manual as a courtesy car. I put it down to the bite point on clutch being a little high on the pedal and that my throttle/clutch work wasn't great. 

Mine does a sort of anti stall if you dip the clutch as I pull up to lights sometimes. Having changed my clutch and DMF when i first got the car i can say the DMF is a properly  large mass so may be guilty.

Do you have servo type throttle(until 1999) or ECU controlled throttle(2000 onwards)?

If it is servo, worth to check if it works OK. No experience with this.

For ECU controlled ones, I guess that there is no unintentional accelerator pedal press by carpet or any other object / faulty clutch pedal spring. If there is no extra piece, and acc. pedal couldn't travel to 0% pedal quick enough, that may be your issue. Side view for a reference: 132965-002jpg.jpg?v=1577927768

Additionally, I don't know all Bosch ECU software features for Boxster but this ECU may have Gear Shift Harmonization(GSH) feature. For functional safety, if the clutch switch is faulty then this feature can be disabled. At least scenario is that clutch switch misplaced and confuses timing of the GSH. Clutch switch,  engine speed and vehicle speed used for gear detection and shifting events, but back then these features were not sophisticated as today. Hard to guess.

In these days, I have to drive different cars but as I remember, the engine starts only if you are pressing the clutch pedal. If your engine starts without pressing clutch pedal, you may have faulty clutch switch. Next time, during my drive, I will test whether there is a GSH or not.