986 2.7 2000 - I need to get rid of the drone box - what should I get?

joeluth

My Boxster came with an e-bay special drone box.

It sounds stupidly loud at low revs, it's giving me a headache, it has to go! 

I'm thinking just put it back to normal with a standard 2.7  back box if I can find a decent one.

Got me thinking though maybe I can pop the 3.2S exhaust on there as I've seen a few around for sale, do they fit ok? 

Cheers!

Edited by joeluth

Pretty sure a 3.2 silencer will fit but you will need to use the 2.7 mounting frame. 

The reason being the different gearboxes used which means different mounting points. 

1 hour ago, map said:

ill fit but you will need to use the 2.7 mounti

Cheers Map, thanks for that.. hmmmm.. I wonder if I've still got the original mounting frame on the car, or if it got swapped out with the stainless back box..  would that usually be the case do you know?

Not sure but I’d be surprised if an aftermarket eBay vendor would develop a bespoke mount for the 986 - imagine that the factory parts are still in place.

I’d do a video recording of that part of the car by sticking my phone up into that area and see what you can see on playback. 

If my memory is right the eBay boxes don't use the OE mount. They also don't have the side arms for the cats support. If you look at the cats they normally have the mounting tabs on them. Most likely if you buy an OE exhaust or a Dansk one that uses the OE mounts you will need to buy the mount. The S has a bar shaped mount but the 2.5 has a more pronounced plate type mount. 

Thanks Map and edc,  I've had a quick look, but it came with this exhaust so some original parts may be missing. 

I just looked under there with a torch and took a couple of shots of what I believe to be the 3 point bracket?

and also the plate mount?

Appreciate it might be hard to tell from my photos but does it look like I've got the right bits there to swap back to the original exhaust ?  

20210509_201703 small.jpg

20210509_201714 small.jpg

I have one of those TOYO SPORT jobs as my old OE box did the seam rot thing. I bought a used OE one but kept the TOYO in the shed of doom. I have fitted two 38mm decibel killers wrapped in exhaust wadding and was going to do a test of it.

The cheapy has a simple bracket that uses the OE bolt mounts, this is part of the exhaust and non-removable on mine.

15 hours ago, Shazbot said:

I have one of those TOYO SPORT jobs as my old OE box did the seam rot thing. I bought a used OE one but kept the TOYO in the shed of doom. I have fitted two 38mm decibel killers wrapped in exhaust wadding and was going to do a test of it.

The cheapy has a simple bracket that uses the OE bolt mounts, this is part of the exhaust and non-removable on mine.

I did that with my Subaru which had a milltek that droned at bang on 70-80. Worked pretty well. Couldn't really notice any power loss but the Sub wasn't exactly short on go. At first I over- wadded it and it was as quiet as stock. I took it back out and took a few winds off and it was nice.

Edited by JonSta

My ebay dronemaster special goes on on monday! Looking forward to seeing how bad the drone is, but hoping since i rarely drop below 3000rpm its not gonna be too bad.

Gonna keep the old box in case i want to revert back, like the guy i bought the dronemaster special from did!

16 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

My ebay dronemaster special goes on on monday! Looking forward to seeing how bad the drone is, but hoping since i rarely drop below 3000rpm its not gonna be too bad.

Gonna keep the old box in case i want to revert back, like the guy i bought the dronemaster special from did!

It's much less bassy and piercing and across a slightly smaller rev range when you also have the eBay manifolds. 

22 hours ago, Shazbot said:

Hmm, interesting, Got a link for the dB killers? 

Just go on the bay of evil and put i think 48mm decibel killers, but whatever the internal diameter of the actual inner pipe is. I bought the longer ones which are not that long.They're meant for bikes really but are short enough. i used a cobalt drill and put a small hole in each of the exhaust pipes underneath then drilled the internal steel pipe so i could hold them in place with short cap head M6 bolts dabbing on some thread lock. They can be used as is and leave the 'end cap' on or i took the end cap off but exhaust wadding wrapped them.

this sort of thing   the actual ones i bought were cheaper as a pair but it's still not pricey.

i did try just putting the db killers previously held on the inside by friction by the bolts and when I gave it the berries one shot out like a scene from a Bond film hence the belt and braces approach.

When i get time i'll do an experiment in the name of Boxster science and lob it on and may even do one of those new fangled video things.

I found the drone was spot on 70mphg so you need to do 65 or 75 . Not actually a problem with the roof down but it was a bit loud on cam, but i liked it!

I did get nominated for chav exhaust award on a group drive out once.

Edited by Shazbot