New owner questions

Mickl

I have been  a member on here for a few years now and have finally purchased a 1999 S after getting sidetracked with a few other vehicles.

Two things I am hoping you guys can tell me are the side vents on my car sit differently on either side, the offside sits flush to the bodywork and the near side one is proud. Is this normal?

The other question I have is regarding the front wheels which seem to sit inboard . It’s something I have noticed before on some Boxsters and also 944s They are Porsche 17 inch alloys which I suspect came with the car when new.

I was reading the owners manual and it mentioned that sometimes 17mm spacers are fitted and they have to be removed if the space saver spare is fitted and wondered if perhaps they had been discarded.

Thanks in advance

Mick 

Edited by Mickl
Spelling mistake

The vents is normal. Spacers are not standard so they won't have been discarded as such. 

Hi Mick and welcome

Some pictures would help but I am not good at posting pic's any more either.

The side vents should be the same each side but EDC knows better and I trust him......but i am not a 86 expert.

Wheels on all the Boxsters are a little pessimistic when fitting the arches and spacers help but 10mm front 15mm rear are probably a safe option.

Enjoy and forget Porsche paranoia ......................drive it and smile 

Edited by Toeside

As @edc says it is correct that the vents are different side to side on a 986 Boxster.

Passenger side (UK car) is the air intake for the engine itself.

Drivers side (UK car) is the engine bay vent that has a fan behind it which switches on pushing hot air out when the engine bay temps reach a certain level.

So one is shaped to bring air in and the other to let it out which is why they're different shapes.

Spacers - run the car without them for a while - make sure everything is vibration free and noiseless before adding spacers.  That way you can be sure that the suspension and bearings are as they should be.

Thanks for the reply’s guys

I won’t be looking to fit spacersif it’s not standard from Porsche, just seemed a bit strange seeing the instructions for fitting the space saver in the manual.

I won’t  be worrying about vents then !!

Once I have figured how to post pics I will get some up

5 minutes ago, Mickl said:

I won’t be looking to fit spacersif it’s not standard from Porsche

Porsche do supply spacers for the 986 - think they used them on the Anniversary model.  

I use spacers on my modified 986 to clear the coilovers' reservoirs - the only reason I suggested leaving them off at this time was just so that you can make sure everything is OK on your new to you 986.  Once you know it is you can decided whether or not to fit spacers.

15 minutes ago, map said:

Porsche do supply spacers for the 986 - think they used them on the Anniversary model.

That is correct. The 550 Anniversary came with 5mm spacers as standard.

On 5/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, charlieboy2608 said:

I wonder if they look a little inboard because the wheels are not original and have the wrong offset?

Pretty sure they are original 17 inch wheels, I have seen some other early boxsters displaying the same look.

I think it's just the styling of the era and a function of the correct offset rather than incorrect offset. The 18" wheels at wider so he effect is less pronounced. If you're used to arch bulging wheels then the 986 is definitely the antidote to that. 

The offset isn't the whole answer as the 18" wheels are wider than the 17" wheels. If the offset remained the same the 18" wheel would still stick out and fill the arch more. 

http://944racing.de/felgengewichte.php