Software Update for Porsche 718 Communication Management

GulNawaz

Hi,

I received a letter from Porsche explaining the satellite map view of the navigation function is no longer available in the display of the PCM or in the multi-function display in the instrument panel.  Has anyone else received a similar letter or had their software updated? Any feedback would be appreciated. 

I have rang my local dealer and have been booked in for September as they have no courtesy cars available before then, they have said they will need the car for the day maybe two (the letter says it will take about an hour). 

Thanks

15 minutes ago, GulNawaz said:

Hi,

I received a letter from Porsche explaining the satellite map view of the navigation function is no longer available in the display of the PCM or in the multi-function display in the instrument panel.  Has anyone else received a similar letter or had their software updated? Any feedback would be appreciated. 

I have rang my local dealer and have been booked in for September as they have no courtesy cars available before then, they have said they will need the car for the day maybe two (the letter says it will take about an hour). 

Thanks

Nonsense. I am booked for Tuesday next week. 45 minutes while I wait.

It is something to do with Google Maps no longer supporting the Sat Nav system and it has messed it up so needs a software download and update.

I would sat that if you cant have the map display in either screen - what is the point of buying the factory sat nag ?

Having the directions in the binnacle is the only reason I'd spec it - love the integration and easy of use.  Much less distraction whilst driving.

Guesswork since I don't have one of the affected cars - but are they talking about the "real world" view I have sometimes seen in loan cars rather than the "schematic" view I am used to? - I assumed the real world view was a feature of having the online services enabled in newer cars.

As to "two hours vs two days" - ages ago I inquired about a map upgrade on my PCM 3 system - local OPC were quite open that basically it takes about 3 hours but involves swapping dvd's every 45 mins to an hour so they do it "between other jobs" - and they don't tie up a service bay - just hook the car to a charger and come back to it as and when. They also said, sometimes the DVD's fail to read and we have to have a few goes - so 3 hours becomes a day or two.... My local OPC have always been very good with loan cars and said I could have a car for as long as it took if I went ahead etc. all made sense to me - assuming loan cars were available.

Perhaps the 2 days "quote" is coming from historical work on these older systems and not taking into account that it sounds like its much quicker on newer units.

4 hours ago, Paul P said:

Guesswork since I don't have one of the affected cars - but are they talking about the "real world" view I have sometimes seen in loan cars rather than the "schematic" view I am used to? - I assumed the real world view was a feature of having the online services enabled in newer cars.

As to "two hours vs two days" - ages ago I inquired about a map upgrade on my PCM 3 system - local OPC were quite open that basically it takes about 3 hours but involves swapping dvd's every 45 mins to an hour so they do it "between other jobs" - and they don't tie up a service bay - just hook the car to a charger and come back to it as and when. They also said, sometimes the DVD's fail to read and we have to have a few goes - so 3 hours becomes a day or two.... My local OPC have always been very good with loan cars and said I could have a car for as long as it took if I went ahead etc. all made sense to me - assuming loan cars were available.

Perhaps the 2 days "quote" is coming from historical work on these older systems and not taking into account that it sounds like its much quicker on newer units.

The letter from Porsche about it says it takes an hour and my OPC said none of them have taken longer than 45 minutes.

45 minutes ago, Malcolm E Box said:

The letter from Porsche about it says it takes an hour and my OPC said none of them have taken longer than 45 minutes.

So the OPC who want it for 2 days haven't seen the letter I assume.

As I say - no experience with updating the PCM4 - but you would hope these days it's a USB image and you just plug it in and let it do it - almost the kind of thing they could have sent out to drivers rather than the letter - and given them a nice little branded memory stick as a present.... :)  

Don't be silly, us customers are not to be trusted with anything due to lack of any brain matter !

Has lockdown wiped your memory of the condescending attitude from their service staff. After all, the "Gold class Technician" needs to work on something 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patt said:

Don't be silly, us customers are not to be trusted with anything due to lack of any brain matter !

Has lockdown wiped your memory of the condescending attitude from their service staff. After all, the "Gold class Technician" needs to work on something 🤣

And if we do it ourselves they can't try to scam us with a "health check" where our nearly new cars all need £1500 of work doing.

I will call OPC Hatfield to check if they had any issues with other upgrades. To be honest I have not noticed any issues with system therefore not in a hurry to sort it out,  However, waiting until September is a bit too long,