Potential purchase, questions.....

jimmy p

I've owned numerous Boxsters from 986 all the way through to 981. All 6 cylinders.

I've found a 718 S 2017 with PSE that I really like the look of. Very highly specced and very low mileage but it's miles away.

I've never drove a 2.5 4 pot before. I had a 2.0 718 as a loan car and wasn't keen on the sound of that, is the 2.5 different, does the PSE make a difference??

One final thing, one thing it doesn't have is chrono, it obviously has a sport button just no clock which I'm not bothered about. Think it means I can't launch it but not bothered about that either. Am I massively missing out on anything other than the unreliable active engine mounts???

What are your thoughts??

In an ideal world I would go and see it but really not got the time

I'd pop down to your local OPC and request a test drive in cars that have the options you're interested in.

I drove a 718 with the Sports Chrono pack.  Over the 981 it has the "Turbo Nutter" button that turns the car into a lunatic for approx 15s (I think).

For me, SC is a must have as I quite like the clock too! :D

Hired a 2.5s at the PEC when they first came out, did a write up on here somewhere🤔.

I was really impressed with the available torque and handling, another step up from my 981s. 

The exhaust note didn't bother me at all but the "nutter button"👍.

And, being a turbo, easy to remap for even more bang, if you're brave enough😃.

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

Actually - here you go....  What is the Porsche Sport Chrono Package? | Drive Modes, Features | Fremont (porschefremont.com)

The nutter button is called "Sports Response".  Clearly I have no future in marketing!

I referred to it as the hyperspace button when I had a loaner 718S - liked the way everything went into optimum response mode - including a turbo boost. Think it would be a lovely toy to have and it would probably be a "have to have" for me.

I had a 718 GTS as a loaner, nice car. It was very quick and handled lovely, It sounded cr*p though even with PSE switched on it didn’t seem to make much of a difference. The 981 with PSE sounds far better.  

Edited by bandit_287

I’ve had a couple of 718S and a base 718 as courtesy cars. The exhausts do seem to vary a bit so as far as how loud and crackly it is, that will be PSE dependent.  However the underlying character of the engine doesn’t really change much.  If you didn’t like  the base you are suddenly going to love the S. 

As for Chrono, did you have it on your 981?  If you did, did you use it? if not do you think you were missing anything?    I have it on my 981 and it’s one of the few options that I definitely  wouldn’t spec if I had to pay extra money for. 

I've had both F6 and F4. No doubt about it the F6 sounds better at the top of the rev range. But it depends on how you drive. For me, having driven diesels for most of my adult life the full torque from 1800rpm is a major factor. Foot down in ANY gear and off she goes. With the F6, you'd really need to be dropping a cog or two. There are those who only want the full beans sound, and there are those who like the practicality of a day to day driver. 

Your call!

Ok, I am still new to the Porsche arena, can someone please explain what pre GPF means…..? Thanks. 
I am still in the market for a  718 ….. And I think I want an S version. Test drove the standard Boxster and whilst impressed, if your going to go large you may as well go LARGE..

It boils down to this because they all drive very well, do you like your Porsche to sound like a Porsche or a Subaru. The 2.5 is louder and therefore more difficult to ignore.

Very fast if that makes any difference, steering and gear ratios are better in them so a manual car starts to make sense. Tiny bit of lag out of the corner is the other issue.

Sports chrono and moreso PSE are unnecessary on the 718.

If someone forced me into one I'd have a manual 2.0l T and Bose to drown it out.

Edited by daz05