Air filter, after market or OE

Roger C

Just doing a service on our 2.7 before a little road trip in a few weeks and looking at air filters it seems a OE spec paper element Mahle filter is around 50 quid, thats after market territory so do I stick with OE or go after market....opinions please?

Rog.

£50 is way over the top. Autodoc is around £20 for various brands and Euros has a 50% discount on. 

On 6/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, Roger C said:

Just doing a service on our 2.7 before a little road trip in a few weeks and looking at air filters it seems a OE spec paper element Mahle filter is around 50 quid, thats after market territory so do I stick with OE or go after market....opinions please?

Rog.

Mahle is £25.99 on CP4L; cheaper than Eurocarparts.

Thanks for the tips fella's, unfortunately I had cash burning a hole so got a K&N for £64, pricey I know but it says it lasts for 50k so 'should' work out cheaper in the long run...lol

Rog.

You just need to wash it dry it and reoil it. Can be done in a sunny summer afternoon all in.

an observation. 

The standard service interval for an air filter is 6yrs/60k. And that is fit and forget.  

I get there may be benefits for induction sound and if you want to clean and / or change it more regularly  but not seeing it as a long term win against the 50 quid or so for a good spec one. 

of course - we all decide how we spend our money and what we do with our cars and no wrong answers just for me I don’t see the “value” proposition in reusable filters.  

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

an observation. 

The standard service interval for an air filter is 6yrs/60k. And that is fit and forget.  

I get there may be benefits for induction sound and if you want to clean and / or change it more regularly  but not seeing it as a long term win against the 50 quid or so for a good spec one. 

of course - we all decide how we spend our money and what we do with our cars and no wrong answers just for me I don’t see the “value” proposition in reusable filters.  

^This^

I would never leave the filter for 60k or 6 years! I once out a new filter in ahead of a bit dusty Euro trip of some 2.5k miles. It needed a change after that trip alone! 

4 hours ago, edc said:

I would never leave the filter for 60k or 6 years! I once out a new filter in ahead of a bit dusty Euro trip of some 2.5k miles. It needed a change after that trip alone! 

Filters look dirty after 500 miles.  That’s how they work.  

but. Have to admit I was surprised at the recommended interval myself but that’s what it is. 

me. I would take a genuine item for 6 years over a 20 quid one for two but again, personal call, we all make our own calls.