986 Headlight plate Remove/Replace

Elmer Fudd

When I bought the 986 the facelift headlights had two burn marks on the inner lenses so I decided to replace them with originals, I took them out and the mounting plates were broken and the wiring had been extended to reach the headlight socket ........

6AoPaO9.jpg

https://imgur.com/undefined

So I bought second hand plates and wiring looms from a scrappy and went about changing them. The looms were easy enough to replace, just take the wheels and wheelarch liners off, unplug the connectors, and plug the new ones in following the original routing.

Now comes the fun bit 😉

The plates are held on by adjusters ....

8pMMelz.jpg

You DO NOT want to remove these adjusters from the car unless you really have to, from the picture you can see the knurled adjuster, then a slit, then the adjuster threaded washer, then a gap then the fixing nut, this all needs to stay in place. The plate sits on top of these adjusters held down by another flat fixing nut, you just want to remove these top fixing nuts without disturbing the ajusters underneath, so, holding the headless bolt with a T15 torx socket ....

kuJopSK.jpg

kfBQUKL.jpg

You want to remove the flat nut with a 19mm spanner, do this with all three adjusters and you will be able to remove the plate with the adjusters still in place, DO NOT disturb the adjuster nuts underneath.

Then it should just be a case of placing the new plate on the adjusters, holding the headless bolts again and tightening the top nuts down ..... (this is a final 'tweek')

rmg173l.jpg

Next, slip the connector into the bracket ......

cycHgQU.jpg

And slide the yellow locking tab upwards to lock it in place ....

C60a5nV.jpg

Slide the headlight in making sure the locating pins locate in the rails, and turn the locking tool clockwise to snap it in.

If you have to make adjustments to the headlight fitment up and down do this with the nuts before placing the plate on, if you need to make adjustments back and forth you need to turn the headless bolts clockwise until the adjuster is loose then move them either backwards or forwards as needed.

Done ...

EFURhcm.jpg

Edited by Elmer Fudd

Thanks for this information and photos, it is very helpful !

I need to replace one of my mounting plates as it has a crack at the point where the light locating pin latches into place.  I glued the cracked piece back in place as a temporary fix, and have been dreading replacement.  Based on what you've posted here it seems like I have no need to fret.

Edited by S8ked
typo

15 hours ago, S8ked said:

Thanks for this information and photos, it is very helpful !

I need to replace one of my mounting plates as it has a crack at the point where the light locating pin latches into place.  I glued the cracked piece back in place as a temporary fix, and have been dreading replacement.  Based on what you've posted here it seems like I have no need to fret.

I like to share 😁