Better sound than a Ferrari ?

moospeed

I know I've mentioned noise a bit, a definite PSE fan here so sorry if it seems I go on about it - to me it's a major part of a special car though.

Every day I have a BMW M2 and a Ferrari California go past my office (WFH) window.  The M2 is particularly shouty on start up but not an overly interesting noise, gets a bit thrashed from cold which irritates my mechanical sympathies.  However, surprising to me is the Ferrari that goes past which seems more of the same.  First few times I thought it was just a noisy hatchback or something, sounds loud but not an ounce of quality or interest there.

It's a speedbumped residential road so perhaps it doesn't get to where it needs to be to sing, but there's an Huracan, a 996, a Mustang and even an MX5 that go past the same stretch at the same speed and sound pretty damn nice.  I don't hoof it down this road and it sounds different from inside the car obviously but on sound alone the California is decidedly disappointing, would much prefer to listen to a bit of 6 cyl Pork.

personally prefer a growly, low V8 myself - Ferrari a bit higher pitched.

As i've got older, i've got more "Max Power" when it comes to exhaust note :)

My nephew has a Mini JCW with the pops and bangs - was fun the first couple of times, now its just blooming annoying

Edited by Mattman42

My favourite for engine sound is the F355, sounds perfect to me at any speed. I think all of the newer cars are struggling with the sound because of emissions. My least favourite is a McLaren that lives by me, always sounds like it’s on choke and reviving it t*ts off!
Perhaps they are muting the car sounds to get use ready for the bland world of electric car’s 😂

is the california with turbos or without? if its turbocharged that might explain the lack of aural enjoyment, same with the M2.

personally, i've never been a fan of the sounds of V8s... i've always preferred a 6 cylinder. i've have straight sixes in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged forms (both BMWs) and V6s in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged forms (both Nissans) and now i have a flat 6.

Personally, i think the naturally aspirated flat 6 in the porsche trumps everything. a straight 6 is almost too smooth for its own good, and a V6 is almost too operatic.

2 hours ago, Herbie33 said:

Had Z4M before the 981S and both make amazing noises

have to work the Porsche a little harder (faster) to get a decent sound compared to the Z

Z sounded like a little F1 car 

I had an Imola ref z4mc.  The s54 was a peach preferred the crescendo at the top of the rev range but sadly the chassis set up didn't match the engine. 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, JonSta said:

My neighbour had a 430 with a tubi. It was epic. Epic when it started up, epic when idling, epic when tootling along at 25mph, epic when driving slowly past police cars, etc etc. If ever a car said nick me I'm speeding that was the one. He sold it.....

There is an Italian car show here,or was before Covid!

A few years back a 430 left early and the driver revved it when leaving, never heard anything like it before or since,,,EPIC