"N" Rated Tyres - Can't find any?

Paul O

Hi all,

I'm looking for some Mitchellin N rated rear tyres for my Boxster (18" wheels - 265/40/18) but I can't seem to find any on the main sites. There are a couple of sites selling a bridgestone tyre but thats it! I'd like to keep with Mitchelin. Is this another weird effect of the pandemic, or am I just been unlucky?

If I can't find any I'll just get the non-N Pilot Sport tyres, but would have preferred the Porsche approved ones for consistency.

Thanks!

Paul.

Yes the usual suspects seem out of stock.

This link seemed to start to order some - might be worth calling them to check they really have them.

https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/tyres/index/265-40-R18-Y/MICHELIN/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-PS2-101Y-XL-N4/8479

May sound silly but have you tried an OPC for a quote ? They sometimes aren't miles £££ wise re tyres.

Edited by iborguk

got mine via OPC - well worth asking them - and they won't c*ck-up the fitting as some others will do.

would avoid the bridgestones - I had them before and they were ok but not great.

only michelin N rated in my size where PS2's as the 4's aren't N rated in my size (or weren't last year when I changed them).

Don't really get N rated tyres. Michelin PS2s are well outdated now, having been replaced by supersports, and then by MPS4S. which is comparable with GY F1 5s, which arent n rated.

20 years ago maybe N rated tyres were important, but tyre tech has moved on so far, id rather just fit the best tyre currently available, and not worry about whether it is N rated.

1 minute ago, brillomaster said:

Don't really get N rated tyres. Michelin PS2s are well outdated now, having been replaced by supersports, and then by MPS4S. which is comparable with GY F1 5s, which arent n rated.

20 years ago maybe N rated tyres were important, but tyre tech has moved on so far, id rather just fit the best tyre currently available, and not worry about whether it is N rated.

Yep.

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Interesting input from a Michelin Petrol Head on N vs non-N rated tyres.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1434398&i=20

My take away was if it is N rated but not designed for you car it is still not the 'correct' tyre.  On that basis if you are not going back to the original tyres homologated by Porsche specifically for your car, the N rating is irrelevant to the benefits it might seem you would get.  Thus for example an N rated PS4 isn't actually developed and homologated for a 986 or 987, therefore choose whatever tyre you want and it can be with or without an N rating as it wasn't optimised for your particular vehicle...

If I thought that there was a significant difference between N and non N rated tyres I might be led to think that you're worse off putting an N rated tyre that was homologated for a different model than you are putting non N on. 

What someone ought to do is take car X and put non N on it and blast it on the track then swap for N and see if there's a measurable difference. I suspect not....

Always understood that N rating was just for warranty claims anyway - another way of Porsche keeping the ownership bills suitably high.

May make a slight difference at full load on a track, in the wet, braking into a hairpin - unfortunately I’m not that good a driver to notice the difference 😜

After significant debate, I recently fitted N2 PS2’s to mine. They were developed specifically for the 987 and, while some see them as old technology, so is the suspension they were designed for. Only a couple of hundred miles were travelled on my new tyres when a particularly tight left hand bend on Snake Pass caught me by surprise. There was traffic coming the other way and in any other car, it would have been game over. Those PS2’s stuck like glue though. I was quite frankly amazed and it was enough for me to see I’d made the right decision in fitting them. Would PS4’s or GY etc also have saved me? I’ll never know, but what I do know is the PS2’s are more than good enough. 

7 minutes ago, Kev100 said:

After significant debate, I recently fitted N2 PS2’s to mine. They were developed specifically for the 987 and, while some see them as old technology, so is the suspension they were designed for. Only a couple of hundred miles were travelled on my new tyres when a particularly tight left hand bend on Snake Pass caught me by surprise. There was traffic coming the other way and in any other car, it would have been game over. Those PS2’s stuck like glue though. I was quite frankly amazed and it was enough for me to see I’d made the right decision in fitting them. Would PS4’s or GY etc also have saved me? I’ll never know, but what I do know is the PS2’s are more than good enough. 

Yup I feel the same way about the PS2's. I have to play the N game on mine re warranty and these things anchor the car to the road (coming from some four year old Pirelli P Zeros)

On the subject of tyres, is there a definitive thread on here somewhere that lists the "correct" tyre make for each model?  Mine has got Pirelli P Zero's at the moment, which I assume are pretty good, but it would be helpful to know if there is one particular tyre that is recommended.

3 minutes ago, Davey P said:

On the subject of tyres, is there a definitive thread on here somewhere that lists the "correct" tyre make for each model?  Mine has got Pirelli P Zero's at the moment, which I assume are pretty good, but it would be helpful to know if there is one particular tyre that is recommended.

The Porsche website used to carry a full listing of which tyres were N rated for each model at that point in time.

The list included all the relevant tyre versions in the relevant sizes with a N rating for each model as well as showing Summer & Winter options.

Now the website says - ask your local OPC......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iborguk said:

Yup I feel the same way about the PS2's. I have to play the N game on mine re warranty and these things anchor the car to the road (coming from some four year old Pirelli P Zeros)

When I first fitted ps2 I thought I'd made a horrible mistake, was like braking on jelly. But after a couple of hundred miles (about two years at my rate of progress) they wore in nicely. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I've had no luck in finding Mitchelin N rated tyres from the usual suppliers, so I called my local Porsche centre. They have done some searching and have found that Mitchelin are no longer producing N rated tyres for the 18" wheel size. 

So... we won't be getting Mitchelin's on our Boxsters any more if you have 18" and want N tyres. To be honest, I'm struggling to find any non-N tyres by Mitchelin at the minute too.

Porsche are getting me a quote for Conti's and Bridgestones, but waiting on the tyre supplier to come back to them. Any recommendations one or the other?

Edited by Paul O

I thought N rated were for warranty compliance, and you can’t warranty more than a 10 year old car. 

if they hardly sold any 981 with 18s (as appeared to be the case among the enthusiasts here - not sure if that’s representative) there would be precious little demand for them.  So not worth it. 

oh well if michelin arent making any N rated tyres for 18" wheel size, they definitely wont be making any in a 17" wheelsize for my 986 boxster! i'll stick with original plan of GY assy 5s since they do a 17" wheel.

or might go nuts and get some Nankang NS2Rs in case i do any track work...

1 hour ago, Paul O said:

Just a quick update, I've had no luck in finding Mitchelin N rated tyres from the usual suppliers, so I called my local Porsche centre. They have done some searching and have found that Mitchelin are no longer producing N rated tyres for the 

Porsche are getting me a quote for Conti's and Bridgestones, but waiting on the tyre supplier to come back to them. Any recommendations one or the other?

Can’t recommend just yet but have you looked at the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport?If you want 265 on the rear? Goodyear asymmetric   5 are my next choice but they are 255 rear,they do start with more tread though,

The other annoying thing I'm finding is that I can't find the same tyre available for both front and rear (all non "N" rated, as N doesnt appear available at all for 18" wheels now). So I can't even get a consistent set across front and back. 😣

Agree that it’s not easy finding a full set.When you search for summer spec 265 rear it’s  lucky to find two or three options,then you can’t  find the same tyres for the front.I think this is why some  go for a 255 rear.255 in the manual is the winter size rear so should be fine but having said that I want to try the 265.And want the correct load and speed.

(Getting the Bridgestones fitted next week)