2.7 Gearbox filler plug size and type?

red rocket

In preparation for changing the gearbox oil, and not wanting to remove stuff under the car yet, I took the rear wheel off to get a look at the filler plug and make sure I have the correct tools. Can anyone tell me for sure what this requires? It's definitely not a 17mm hex as suggested in various forums/posts! It looks like a sort of inverted torx and I have seen a post or a video elsewhere which stated 10mm torx/triple square (think it was from the US). I've tried reaching in with a 10mm torx socket on an extension bar but can't quite get a feel for whether it's seating properly. Probably need to zoom to see it properly.dzS4MSw.jpg

ZctNi44.jpg

It's definitely Triple-square (also known as Spline) and it looks like the "security" type with a hole in the middle too. The same thing is fitted to both the fill and drain plugs on my 986 5-speed. It's not very deep so make sure it's completely seated before removing, to minimise the chances of chewing the edges.

I bought a "Bergen 2024 M16 x 55mm tamper spline bit socket" from Amazon or ebay when I did mine and it worked perfectly.

Edited by AMacdonald

Spline drive I believe.  Used on VW bonnet hinges, cylinder head bolts and various other things I've come across over the years and the 'box has VAG/Audi origins.  Your drive shaft bolts have the same type of head.

26 minutes ago, AMacdonald said:

It's definitely Triple-square (also known as Spline) and it looks like the "security" type with a hole in the middle too

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Spline drive I believe.

Thanks both. Maybe it's an optical illusion, especially as it's not possible to get close up via the wheel well, but it looked to me like the 'star' was 'proud' rather than being recessed, which was confusing me. I've got splines but not with the hole so looks like i'll have to invest.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StephenM said:

@red rocket thanks for this information, can you tell me please are there any crush washers that need replacing when you change the gearbox oil please.  I read somewhere there are not but wanted to check please?

Haven't done mine yet but spoke to OPC as I was expecting to need to buy new filler and drain plugs. There are no washers and they also told me they would not normally renew the plugs so unless I screw something up I shall reuse what's there. Hopefully doing mine in a couple of days.

9 hours ago, StephenM said:

Just noticed I think you have a 5 speed, mine is the 6 speed box is there much difference?

From what i've read it's possible the plugs are different size/fittings. And pretty sure the 6 speed takes more oil (2.8 litres compared to 2.25 I think).

The 5 and 6 speed boxes are quite different, 5 speed is Audi/VW, 6 speed is Getrag I believe.  Drain and filler plug positions are different.