Soft top stalls half way through when coming down during driving sometimes

Tarun

On my 2013 981S I'm noticing that the soft top occasionally (like maybe half the times) stops while coming down and I can see an error on the dashboard (something like "roof hood fault"). This usually happens when opening the soft top during driving (i'm below 30mph at all times for this). To fix this, I'll fiddle around with the buttons after pausing for a few seconds and then the hood goes down all the way.

Is this expected? Do i need to worry right away? Or perhaps only take it to a garage when the soft top completely refuses to come down or go back up?

A photo of the actual error may help.

First guess would be the centre console roof switches or the B Pillar micro switches but it’s just that , a guess. Getting the car on a PIWIS or a Durametric should indicate where the issue is.

Edited by iborguk

20 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Good call Stuart. I start mine in large underground car parks but when I have to slow right down it stops and beeps at me. 

Who knew rampant rabbits had beepers?

59 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

you have to be over 5mph too in case you weren't aware (for auto operation)

ahh, perhaps that is the issue. I have been putting roof down while in start stop traffic and maybe i went below 5mph. I'll keep an eye out and if its a regular error, i'll try to take a picture and resurrect this thread! Thank you all! 

1 hour ago, Tarun said:

ahh, perhaps that is the issue. I have been putting roof down while in start stop traffic and maybe i went below 5mph. I'll keep an eye out and if its a regular error, i'll try to take a picture and resurrect this thread! Thank you all! 

The way to test it is just do it manually while stationary. If you get the error and it stops whilst you constantly hold the switch then there is something wrong with it

• Like 1