Shell V Power petrol

martinjohn308

I bought my 2002 3.2S in 2010 and have always used Shell V Power petrol but went into the garage today to fill up it has gone up to 150.9 pence a litre. I’m thinking of going to go the standard unleaded, any views on this ?

Regards,

Martin 

Keep to the higher octane if you want max power performance, the engine will tune back automatically to the lower octane using the knock sensors if you do get pre-ignition. Not sure if it will automatically tune up again if you do put the higher octane in again.  I know on some cars you need to clear the ignition timing learning from the ECU to get it to re-optimise which if you didn't do made the SUL a waste of money after using 95 octane.

Fuel has been going up generally a lot in the last few months, then so has the oil price and the amount of road traffic , therefore demand.  I did notice my two local Shell stations had no Vpower at the weekend but I used Esso Supreme+ 99 instead at only a 10p rather than 13 or 14p premium over regular UL price, so 143.9p/l.

Tesco Super / 99 / momentum 

I can tell the difference 

It used to be called Tesco 99 as it has or had 99 octane. I read a review by one of the car mags a few years ago where they tested a Porsche GT3 with a range of different super type fuels and Tesco made the most power. I had to travel a bit to find it back then. I want to say this was when I had my first Boxster in 2004 but not sure. I've been using it exclusively in all my cars since so for quite a few years. I even live near a Tesco now for this reason.

• Like 1

Some quick maths on this:

10p per litre extra for Shell V power, 65 litres full tank = £6.50p extra cost

65 litres = 14.3 gallons, 35mpg gives a 500 mile range.

So, (very roughly) it costs £13 extra per thousand miles of driving.

That’s a tiny amount to pay for peace of mind, especially compared to the thousands I’ve spent in replacing parts in the short time I’ve had the car.

Plus, I have a nice route planned out that takes me to a Shell station and I like their payment app. Small things, small pleasures. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ATM said:

It used to be called Tesco 99 as it has or had 99 octane. I read a review by one of the car mags a few years ago where they tested a Porsche GT3 with a range of different super type fuels and Tesco made the most power. I had to travel a bit to find it back then. I want to say this was when I had my first Boxster in 2004 but not sure. I've been using it exclusively in all my cars since so for quite a few years. I even live near a Tesco now for this reason.

When I had the APR mapped (stage 1) MK7 Golf R the chaps at APR said in their tests Tesco 99 performed the best.

2 hours ago, ATM said:

" even live near a Tesco now for this reason"

wow now that's what I call dedication. 😆

I’ve never noticed any difference and now just throw in unleaded. If you’re chasing every last BHP for your next dyno run then I’m sure it’s worth it for the bragging rights.

They used to sell 102 at the garage near my house (opposite Ferrari Maranello) which you had to get the pump unlocked by the man inside as it was £2.50/litre (some years ago). Can only assume even Ferrari decided it wasn’t worth the extra….. though noticed there were high RON options out near the Nurburgring…. Maybe just for those with cash in their pockets.

With both the Boxster and the 911 I’ve mainly gone with the 97 at the local BP, but happily put in 99 if I come across it when I need a refill. Don’t think I’ve ever driven either car hard enough for long enough to notice the difference.

4 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I’ve never noticed any difference and now just throw in unleaded. If you’re chasing every last BHP for your next dyno run then I’m sure it’s worth it for the bragging rights.

Most noticeable at lower revs I'd say, so at a junction when you are in 2nd and low revs then as you press the throttle you can feel its extra willingness to get moving.

But now let me continue by bragging a lot about my 99 petrol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Your DME (ECU) will have adapted to 95RON if you have used it and driver hard by backing off the timing (spark and fuelling) to prevent preignition.  Not sure how quickly the Porsche re-adapts, if at all, when you put in 98RON which is why you would notice no difference once you have used the lower octane fuel. 

I know back in my Subaru days in the mid 90s to late 00s you had to leave the ECU disconnected for a period to make it forget it's adapted learning and to relearn on the higher octane fuel otherwise it stayed in the 95 adapted condition.  In the late 90's in my Impreza it was cost neutral either way so I used 98RON to have more usable power.

9 hours ago, Nobbie said:

this..

I posted a picture of a dyno recently showing what, from a layman's eyes, looks jus over stock BHP on UL (maybe I'm misreading the 321 v 315 bhp though)

2017_05_06-Dyno-run-1-705x499.jpg

2017_05_06-Dyno-run-20.jpg

9 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

The higher ron also returns a higher mpg, so some of the extra costs are absorbed.

about cost neutral when I did the tests, long term (have the excel somewhere), didnt convince me to use Super especially

2014-Boxster-S-mpg.jpg

I did the comparison on my then GT86 on my work commute, a month of Tesco 99 and a month of Tesco regular. I only used the car for work those two months so the route/mileage was exactly the same each month. Iirc the 99 returned 3-4 mpg more.

Slightly off topic but has anyone one found as I have that my local stations have been out of Shell V-power in the last 10 days or so?  Apparently a refinery problem I was told.

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I bought Shell V power yesterday. No notices of shortages posted anywhere.

Must just be the east end of Northamptonshire.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has only ever run on 99 octane, from new. Cleaner engine? I have no use for top-end performance, my car is much faster (and younger) than me. But I do intend to look after it, any way I can. I plan to own it forever and drive it a lot.

Esso have a 99 ron now, reputedly better than anything else due to extra detergents, etc. My 400 brake Evo has taken very kindly to this turn of events, as have I with an Esso station half a mile away! I had the Evo out recently for the first time in ages, took it in for a catastrophically expensive service, brimmed it with this stuff and went out to play on my favourite roads.

One of the ways I can tell whether a fuel is any good or not is to measure knock, the Esso stuff performs very well in that respect, to the point where I wondered whether or not the device I use to measure it with was actually working! Confirmed when I snagged the rev limiter when having a friendly altercation with a Ferrari on the way home, and the noise of doing so sent the meter into the stratosphere!

I'm another of the opinion that the extra cost is offset somewhat by the extra mpg. I use SU on everything I own, it makes a difference on some vehicles more than others, oddly more on my old Lexus IS300 than most.

I was reading good things about Essoo 99 ron on another forum a few days ago. I was going to fill my 986 up with it yesterday, but baulked at the 157p per litre.

So stuck to the cheap stuff until prices drop down a bit. 

14 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

I was reading good things about Essoo 99 ron on another forum a few days ago. I was going to fill my 986 up with it yesterday, but baulked at the 157p per litre.

So stuck to the cheap stuff until prices drop down a bit. 

'Only' 146.9p around these parts... about same as Shell V-power