Viewing this this afternoon to replace our RR Sport

dpg123

19 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

and the running costs are terrible come service time

so you are going to replace it with a Porsche Turbo?!

Some of us have commented we found relatively little headroom for drivers or passengers for such a big car.  Others have said it's fine.  Might be body shape and proportions, seat adjustment, not sure.

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

so you are going to replace it with a Porsche Turbo?!

Some of us have commented we found relatively little headroom for drivers or passengers for such a big car.  Others have said it's fine.  Might be body shape and proportions, seat adjustment, not sure.

I have to do an interim oil change on the RR every 6 months (£250 a pop), plus an annual service (last one was £1300) - vs - the Macan is serviced every 2 years has new brakes and tyres, 2 years Porsche warranty etc. etc. Basically, my expected maintenance cost will be the fixed price servicing unless I'm missing something...add to that, cheaper insurance, cheaper tax, comparable fuel consumption. We'll probably keep it 2-3 yrs so hopefully will not need more than one trip to the garage!

Let's see how we get on this avo. Might find it too small or just not click with it. The reviews read amazingly well though!

Macan does look very nice and gotta love cooled seats and the espresso leather - good luck - although you could buy a brand new one (non-turbo) for similar money?

I really like the RR range, but a few people i know who have them older than 3-5 years have reported big maintenance costs and not overly reliable

Edited by Mattman42

4 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Macan does look very nice and gotta love cooled seats and the espresso leather - good luck - although you could buy a brand new one (non-turbo) for similar money?

I really like the RR range, but a few people i know who have them older than 3-5 years have reported big maintenance costs and not overly reliable

I’ve looked and looked and prefer the sound of a turbo than a 2.0 litre 4 pot. It’s a Porsche! 

Exactly right on the RR, it’s a wonderful car but it just has too many faults that let you down or cost money to make it worth the hassle. You end up being nervous about what’s about to go wrong next. Shame, as I’d prob have kept it otherwise...

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-Turbo-339734

Not even sat in one before, hope we like it! We just find the RR Sport too big and the running costs are terrible come service time. 

I'd not sat in one until the OPC gave me a loaner of a brand new Macan GTS, now I really want one just can't justify the cost....yet. For me the GTS is the sweet spot in the range. Very different to a RR Sport though. Enjoy the test drive.

3 minutes ago, CMA said:

I'd not sat in one until the OPC gave me a loaner of a brand new Macan GTS, now I really want one just can't justify the cost....yet. For me the GTS is the sweet spot in the range. Very different to a RR Sport though. Enjoy the test drive.

I agree, the GTS looks great but they’re at a premium over the Turbo. My wife also prefers the more understated interior of a non-GTS. A lot of GTS’s are pretty individual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

You have a gift for understatement. I went with a friend to try 2. Came away impressed as hell. Then I spoke to a friend of mine who makes a lot and I mean a lot of money repairing them. He told me he was trying to persuade his sister's husband to dump his before the warranty ran out. The guy was saying 'well nothing's gone wrong so far...'. It really is when not if - even the newer ones.

31 minutes ago, JonSta said:

You have a gift for understatement. I went with a friend to try 2. Came away impressed as hell. Then I spoke to a friend of mine who makes a lot and I mean a lot of money repairing them. He told me he was trying to persuade his sister's husband to dump his before the warranty ran out. The guy was saying 'well nothing's gone wrong so far...'. It really is when not if - even the newer ones.

Yep - we had an evoque from new for 4 years - it never gave us any problems and was great. Friends also had evoques at the same time that were always going back, another had a RR Sport SVR which he had for 18weeks, 15 of which it was in the dealer - if you get lucky they are great, if not you are taking a big risk

That’s a decent price and spec and low mileage’

most of the depreciation has been had by the previous owner, and not many owners at that.

I came across one whilst browsing today, a newer model with Burmester which in a Macan is worth it but at £80k I’ll pass

Hope you enjoy the test drive :) 

Did you buy it @dpg123 ????

it’s disappeared off the site in the last couple of minutes 🤣🤣🤣👍🏻

Edited by r1flyguy

24 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

24 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Deposit paid!!! I got it for £1500 less than the sticker price and I sold my RR to a Lookers Land Rover in N London for £1500 more than I’d been offered anywhere else. But more hassle to sort it out and I can’t collect for a week or so due to sorting out a ref transfer, but...WHAT A MACHINE!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear you like it 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

it’s going to be a looooong wait 😁

1 hour ago, dpg123 said:

Deposit paid!!! I got it for £1500 less than the sticker price and I sold my RR to a Lookers Land Rover in N London for £1500 more than I’d been offered anywhere else. But more hassle to sort it out and I can’t collect for a week or so due to sorting out a ref transfer, but...WHAT A MACHINE!!! 

Congrats! Great price for a good spec 👍

Jubilation turned into frustration. We have a private reg and I followed the instructions to put it on retention so I can sell the RR to the dealer. I met all the criteria described online - car is taxed, MOT's, I have the V5C in my name and the car is available for inspection. This is supposed to be an automatic, instant process and the V5C in the post the same day.

However, when I tried it failed to work . Calling up the DVLA let me to find out that 5 years ago the car was untaxed for a short period (3 years before I owned it) and I now need to apply via post. Due to COVID (is that still a valid excuse after 18 months?) the waiting list for applications is up to 6 weeks, meaning:

1) The offer for my car expires

2) My offer for the Macan expires and I potentially lose my deposit

I'm so upset by this. I did everything by the book and now I'm getting screwed by the DVLA. I think I'll have to just pull out of the deal now and forget about it...

Well that’s a bit shyatee ☹️

The criteria is taxed or SORNED continuously for 5yrs. No idea why that is but would be interested to find out & also hear of what the response from the DVLA was

Unfortunately given the experience someone else posted about recently, I think they’ll take all of those 6wks at the moment which is not an attractive proposition for the buyer ☹️

Soooo...forms all sent off the the DVLA. Fingers crossed I get the V5C back sooner than the 6 weeks. In the meantime, the Porsche dealer is happy to store the car and the Land Rover dealer said he's happy to wait. I might end up owning 2 cars for a cross over period where I buy the Macan but don't collect it until I can sell the RR. I can't get parking permits for both!

Anyhow, everything will work out in the end! I hope...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Soooo...forms all sent off the the DVLA. Fingers crossed I get the V5C back sooner than the 6 weeks. In the meantime, the Porsche dealer is happy to store the car and the Land Rover dealer said he's happy to wait. I might end up owning 2 cars for a cross over period where I buy the Macan but don't collect it until I can sell the RR. I can't get parking permits for both!

Anyhow, everything will work out in the end! I hope...

There's space on my drive for a RR so feel free to drop the keys with me for a few weeks.

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, dpg123 said:

Jubilation turned into frustration. We have a private reg and I followed the instructions to put it on retention so I can sell the RR to the dealer. I met all the criteria described online - car is taxed, MOT's, I have the V5C in my name and the car is available for inspection. This is supposed to be an automatic, instant process and the V5C in the post the same day.

However, when I tried it failed to work . Calling up the DVLA let me to find out that 5 years ago the car was untaxed for a short period (3 years before I owned it) and I now need to apply via post. Due to COVID (is that still a valid excuse after 18 months?) the waiting list for applications is up to 6 weeks, meaning:

1) The offer for my car expires

2) My offer for the Macan expires and I potentially lose my deposit

I'm so upset by this. I did everything by the book and now I'm getting screwed by the DVLA. I think I'll have to just pull out of the deal now and forget about it...

Had exactly this when I bought this car - previous car had an " X" in the "Validation field" on the V5-  and I couldn't transfer online - phone call got the same same explanation form DVLA ( been untaxed and not sorned for a while at some time in its history) - no issue with putting the plate on a car with that flag - pain comes when taking it off - fortunately - dealer ( Mortimers ) - had seen this a number of times before and were perfectly fine with doing the deal, me trading in old car with plate still registered - and then doing the transfer the manual way - I basically ended up with the old car registered to me for about 10 days after  I had traded it, DVLA send me V5 for old car on original plate and new car on personal plate - and I just sent the v5 on to the dealers.

A royal pain - since my plate was a present from my kids - and I wanted to keep it.

THis was pre-covid (just) so it happened quickly, and worked out OK for me in the end, hope the same for you

Can't you just do the deal and keep the original plate on the new car under your private plate is available?

When I bought my MK1 MR2 many years ago, I drove around with the previous owners private plate until he arranged to get it on his new car and I got a call to put the original plates back on.

44 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Can't you just do the deal and keep the original plate on the new car under your private plate is available?

When I bought my MK1 MR2 many years ago, I drove around with the previous owners private plate until he arranged to get it on his new car and I got a call to put the original plates back on.

This.

Collect the new car with the current reg, when you get the retention cert back transfer it on to the new one and let your insurance co know the change of reg.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bike Loon said:

This.

Collect the new car with the current reg, when you get the retention cert back transfer it on to the new one and let your insurance co know the change of reg.

Thanks for the input all!

The problem is more that I can't sell my car (or at least transfer title) until I have a valid V5C form in my hand. The resolution I have come to is that if it comes to the end of July I'll buy the Macan regardless (I have signed the contract subject to completing by the end of the month) and the buyer has extended their offer until mid Aug. So it's all still on but I need to wait longer.

2 things I'm now pondering...

1) As I have a couple/several weeks to wait, do I get some decent pics and privately offer my car for sale and try to get more for it that the dealer? I've only agreed verbally to sell to them / not signed anything

2) In terms of the extras being offered to me by the Porsche dealer, has anyone found any of the following to be worth it:

- Wheel and Tyre Insurance: £585 (2yrs) or £675 (3 yrs). It covers 10 incidents of wheel damage (curbing or worse)and 5 incidents of tyre damage.

- Swissvax Treatment: £595 (This is an interior and exterior protection treatment, it consists of a two stage application process with the final stage being a hand poured high Carnuba wax content polish to help protect your car from every day grime such as tree sap and bird lime ingression into the paintwork, whilst it still needs to be washed it will help your car remain in better condition. 
In addition to the exterior treatment the carpet areas will receive a scotchguard type of treatment to help repel dirt and moisture and finally the leather will be treated to replenish natural oils help it remain supple. It comes with a kit for re-application you can do yourself (enough for 3 years).

- Porsche Car Connect £266 / yr (inc tracking)

Many thanks!