987 Tyre Sidewalls

Johnny5

Hi,

I'm not sure whether to put this here or elsewhere on the forum, so mods please feel free to move if in the wrong place.

I've just got a 987 2.7 Boxster as a daily runner, my first Porsche, and it's on 17" wheels which is my preference.  I'm going to have to start looking around for tyres, as the fronts are 2012 vintage.  I've narrowed it down to either Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 1 or Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (oem 205/55 17 and 235/50 17 sizes), both N rated as there doesn't seem to be any other premium sports summer tyre available in these sizes.

My question is, from your experience, which would you say has the softer sidewall and therefore more comfortable ride comfort?

And, one more question, do you all run exactly the recommended pressures, or no?  I notice the table in the door jam recommends one psi higher than the quick start guide.

Thanks

There is a lot of debate around N rated tyres. The short answer seems to be: ignore it unless under a Porsche warranty agreement.

I have Pilot Sports 4 S on the front of mine (but running 19s) and they’re excellent. I have Goodyear F1s on my BMW 5 series and they’re excellent there too. In other words, you can’t go wrong with either tyre. 

I keep to the psi on the door sticker.

• Like 1

If you are after a bit more comfort as it is a daily driver I would drop 2/3 psi than recommended pressure I think you will notice the difference 

• Like 1

In the opinion of many here (but not all) you really don't need N rated tyres on a car 15 years old. Don't worry about those, if it helps.

Michelin and Goodyear are, in the opinion of many here (but not all), two of the best summer tyres available. If it helps, I finally chose Goodyear as they were significantly cheaper than Michelin and I binned the last set of Mich at 10+ years old still with a couple of mm on the tread.  Decided I didn't need super-hardwearing or the ultimate in track grip when I wouldn't be using either quality.

MPS2 were loved here for a decade or more. Now there is MPS4/4S, I seem to remember the 4S are more appropriate for our cars but once again I forget the nuances. Up to you to hunt down prices and decide accordingly. (4/4S might not be made in 17in...)

I think I read someone say they preferred Mich to GY as the latter sidewall deformed more under pressure - which would imply that you'd prefer it.  But that is a vague memory of one person's comment.

Ultimately I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

• Like 1

With 17" wheels you have the softest sidewall option with 55 and 50 aspect ratios.  It will vary from manufacturer to manufacturers but probably not by an amount most ordinary drivers can detect unless it is stated if the tyres have gone head to head in a size you want in a road test for a magazine.  Even extra load tyres can sometimes be a touch softer than their standard load counterparts so that can be misleading too.

• Like 1