Would you upgrade

Chukkieegg

Would you move from a 2.5 to a 2.7 boxster that's 4years newer than the 2.5 and has about 30,000 less miles on it or should I just look for an s? 

Seen a trader selling 2 2.7 although one has previously been a cat c but tempted to look at the other one

1 hour ago, Chukkieegg said:

Would you move from a 2.5 to a 2.7 boxster that's 4years newer than the 2.5 and has about 30,000 less miles on it or should I just look for an s? 

What do you want?

Changing from a 23 year old 2.5 to a 19 year old 2.7 won’t give you much. Except a repeat of the usual repair bills. 

3.2 will feel faster and certainly has less gear changing (is that a good thing?) but still won’t out-drag a modern chipped diesel. 

The speed at which you corner will be determined by tyres and suspension condition, not engine size. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

incremental upgrades don't blow the doors off. 2.5 to 2.7 meh

It depends what you want. I went from a 2000 S 58k to a 2004 550 Anni with 105k. The outright performance differential isn't that much especially after the passing of nearly 10 years 

• Like 1

I can’t see the point if you have an already fettled 2.5 as they seem to be loved by the purist market.
Again the places you can use the extra oomph are diminishing as there are too many speed cameras.

As has been stated we get out dragged by turbo diesels not to mention the latest milk floats.

If it were Blackjack personally I’d stick and not twist!

• Like 1

Totally appriceate that a good diesel will blow me away but my 2.5 is still in garage after breakdown and I just lost a bit of faith in her at Mo and I Aggree the extra power of a 2.7 is minimal but also better the devil I know may be the better option defo would be enticed by an s but a good one is a bit beyond my budget at present

• Like 1

The extra 50PS on an S and the 6 speed 'box certainly make a difference (@987RG recently drove my 2000 S and found it notably more pokey than his 987 2.7 and vice versa I found the 2.7 lacking a bit low down but still spritely enough), the extra 15 or so PS to a 2.7 not so much and still with 5 speed as the car got a bit heavier when the 3.2 & 2.7 came in to counter some early chassis weakness.  Just remember whatever you buy will need fettling again, that said if you can get a good price for the 2.5 as an original car then that will help towards an S.  Age is not so much of a factor as an '04 car could cost more to sort than even a 2000 car that has had a lot of work done and the price won't be much different.  Of course with the '04 you get a bit more refinement with the glass rear screen and a few more standard features (PSM??).

• Like 2

I wouldn’t bother, you also need to consider that the newer car will most probably have the single row IMS and with the 2.5 it’s already considered a classic amongst purists 

• Like 1

Unless your current one is a bit of a dog cosmetically &/or mechanically then I wouldn’t upgrade

Even then I’d only suggest doing it if you found a true enthusiasts car that had stacks of history and all the major ‘weak’ point addressed 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

my 2.5 is still in garage after breakdown and I just lost a bit of faith in her

The loss of faith is the problem - have been through this loop several times with my own car.

Get it sorted and get some high quality miles driven then see how you feel about it.  My own experience is that this is the ideal treatment for "Broken Boxster Blues" and you'll be very happy you kept it.

Edited by map
tipo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, map said:

The loss of faith is the problem - have been through this loop several times with my own car.

Get it sorted and get some high quality miles driven then see how you feel about it.  My own experience is that this is the ideal treatment for "Broken Boxster Blues" and you'll be very happy you kept it.

@map makes a good point, nothing like a bit of capital expenditure to bring the enthusiasm back.

Got car back last night and done several short trips this morning seems fine so far no blown fuses and no cutting out so looks like new fuel pump relay may of done the trick but will monitor for a few days defo sounds good with the dansk backbox and top down

37 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Got car back last night and done several short trips this morning seems fine so far no blown fuses and no cutting out so looks like new fuel pump relay may of done the trick but will monitor for a few days defo sounds good with the dansk backbox and top down

Give it a damn good thrashing this weekend and you’ll be back in love with it👍

I might be putting up a drive out in the Peaks if you fancy coming along.

Edited by Nobbie

8 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Give it a damn good thrashing this weekend and you’ll be back in love with it👍

I might be putting up a drive out in the Peaks if you fancy coming along.

Peaks not that far away for me when we're you thinking @Nobbie