Front Suspension Refresh - where to buy the bolts from..?

marcusjd

Hello. I'm gathering components for a front end refresh using mainly Spyder Performance parts. (Quality of delivered parts looks good, prices great...)

Can anyone please advise on where to purchase all new bolts from..? I have a list i have taken from Design 9111's exploded diagrams.. 

I'm now over 40 quid for 3 sets of Hex Hd bolts and a couple of nuts..:

image.png.2622ed49ec786b8cf69238c24bec86d1.png

I can imagine they are HT Stl, Bright Zinc (BZP) plated. They are 1.5Pitch (fine) and are not in my usual 'go to' Suppliers such as RS Components...

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly accepted.

Cheers

49 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

Hello. I'm gathering components for a front end refresh using mainly Spyder Performance parts. (Quality of delivered parts looks good, prices great...)

Can anyone please advise on where to purchase all new bolts from..? I have a list i have taken from Design 9111's exploded diagrams.. 

I'm now over 40 quid for 3 sets of Hex Hd bolts and a couple of nuts..:

image.png.2622ed49ec786b8cf69238c24bec86d1.png

I can imagine they are HT Stl, Bright Zinc (BZP) plated. They are 1.5Pitch (fine) and are not in my usual 'go to' Suppliers such as RS Components...

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly accepted.

Cheers

Does the above include VAT and delivery? Phone your nearest OPC and check their prices, which should be cheaper than D911. I bought mine from PC Bournemouth when i did my suspension recently and (as usual) they posted for free.

As they are not stretch bolts I reused all the ones on my front end as they were in good condition (21 years and 97k miles) when I refreshed it a year or so ago.

The only ones I did change were all 4 eccentric bolts on the rear because I had to cut them as the originals had all seized into the bushes.

• Like 1

You can usually find the bolts you need online (ie. just googling exactly what you want). Just pay attention to the grade and you'll be fine. In fairness however, given that the threads and lengths are sometimes a bit unusual, the saving over going to an OPC is not always that large.

31 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

You can usually find the bolts you need online (ie. just googling exactly what you want). Just pay attention to the grade and you'll be fine. In fairness however, given that the threads and lengths are sometimes a bit unusual, the saving over going to an OPC is not always that large.

So what grade are the Porsche bolts? And doesn't work for the slotted eccentric bolts on the rear.

I wouldn’t skimp on suspension fasteners buy from local OPC and don’t forget to ask for a discount then you know you are getting exactly the proper spec of nuts and bolts and just reuse the eccentric washers for the rear suspension 

I agree with the other posters on here.  I went through exactly the same process as you last week but for the rear suspension.  In the end it was nearly as cheap to by from my OPC (which is also Porsche Bournemouth as @red rocket) and you can be sure you get the right thing!  Yes you could fairly easily source standard bolts etc from a local hardware store, or online, but I wouldn't want to take the chance with suspension/brake fixings just in case you end up with the wrong spec/pitch/length.  Equally I doubt you would be able to find the eccentric bolts and washers from anywhere other than Porsche and be able to say it was identical to what you were after.

If it helps I get 5% min discount from my OPC but that can go up a bit depending on how much the part/order is and whether they have it in stock already. 

Hope that helps?

Nick

1 hour ago, marcusjd said:

it does - thanks for the replies. my nearest OPC is Wilmslow and from previous purchases they offer a standard 10% discount for all 'classic' models..!

Join the classic car register and one of the perks is a minimum of 15% discount on classic parts from the OPC that you register with 

2 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Join the classic car register and one of the perks is a minimum of 15% discount on classic parts from the OPC that you register with 

You only get minimum 15% when they are fitting the parts.  Beware!!!

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Didn’t know that there’s always a catch!!!

19 hours ago, ½cwt said:

4 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Didn’t know that there’s always a catch!!!

You should still get 10% by asking most decent OPCs whether you are on the Classic Porsche register or a PCGB member.