Blocked drain

M3sean

FYI I do know all about keeping the drain holes clear. I got caught out on my first Boxster when I didn't know about the potential drain issues, the rear passenger drain blocked and I had to have a new control unit. On my 3rd Boxster now and I religious keep them clean, I inspect after every wash remove any debris and flush with clean water. I even check the carpets every time it's left out in the rain. So I was gutted after it was left out overnight in heavy rain (not usual) I did my carpet check and found the drivers side soaked, was very relived to find the passenger side bone dry. I quickly got my handheld wet/dry vacume and removed 3 litres of water. Blocked drain was the obvious thought, so hood into service position and some stiffish wire but no joy. I practiced on passenger side and wire went all the way through no problem. I have now prodded and poked for at least 2 hours and it's still blocked, in fact I think I have made it worse, I reckon. Whatever is in there is properly rammed in, maybe a stone? 

Not sure what to do next, thinking I might try and get in on the local garage ramp to see if I can go the other way, but any tips would be greatfully recived. Thanks

If it is a stone, then you will have to put a pipe/cleaner in from the bottom to clear it. That is very unlucky considering your drain regime. 

Might i suggest some drain guards from OPC once the problem is fixed. 

They don't cost much and prevent large objects from getting into the holes. 

• Like 1

A probe down a drain hole can get deflected and not emerge where you think it should. You'll need to draw on previous experience of doing this on your car. I think I would try a little water just to check it is blocked to liquid, leaks can occur for other reasons. Very, very odd for maintained drains to become blocked, but more likely if the car is kept outside. Good tip from @Pinewood on the guards 👍

Edited by Topbox

Likewise, i would try to push your wire up from underneath to see if you meet the same obstruction and, if so, can maybe dislodge it.

Trombone cleaner or curtain wire from the bottom.   The exits are behind the rear wheel arch liners and are pretty easy to get to once you have the wheel of and liner out.  

Would  also echo the guards although they do cake up with mud and leaves so you still have to check them but stops things falling down the hole.  

@Paul P thanks for the info. From previous experience I think the end of the 986 drain is "exposed". Suppose it was re-routed on the 987 then? Never took the liner out, can imagine loads of brittle clips and screws that break as soon as you look at them!! 

4 hours ago, M3sean said:

@Paul P thanks for the info. From previous experience I think the end of the 986 drain is "exposed". Suppose it was re-routed on the 987 then? Never took the liner out, can imagine loads of brittle clips and screws that break as soon as you look at them!! 

All screws - I think a couple are plastic - but no "suicide clips" - these pictures from my 987.2 - I assume all 987's are similar. The drip pan drain outlets are the thicker pipes with the holes in the sides at the bottom ( I assume to stop them clogging up that end) - drivers side black, passengers white for some reason ! ( and yes - that area is a lot cleaner now - it was worth exploring just to clean the general cr*p out of there ) 

Drivers side:

50189510987_d665480423_b.jpg

Passenger side:

50188709178_29990a89c6_b.jpg

The stubby pipes on the wheel arch are the outlets from the drains in the clamshell channel - might be teaching grannie to suck eggs here so apologies if so - but this is a 987 drain plan - and on my 1st one the clamshell channels (vertical in the "groove") were blocked when I got it. - they are number 2 drains in this picture.

987_drain_plan987_drain_clearing

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Quick update. After seeing the drain drawing I thought my wire might be too stiff to get round the last bend so I had a poke with a very thin tree branch which was super bendy. Went through with a bit of a shove and I found the culprit, it's a broken peice of plastic which the debris had formed a plug around. Drains no problem now, big relief and thanks for the help.

• Like 2

Good news.  

BUT. Where’s that plastic from.  Looks a bit like a roof rod ball joint to me.  You might want to check them. It’s not I known for one to snap and the roof stay working.  

31 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Good news.  

BUT. Where’s that plastic from.  Looks a bit like a roof rod ball joint to me.  You might want to check them. It’s not I known for one to snap and the roof stay working.  

I resemble that remark

• Haha 1

These are the filters mentioned

porsche%20boxster%20986%20987%20converti

Part number I think is 98756148700

Likely about 8 quid each inc vat from OPC with (real or imagined) PCGB discount- or 12 quid each inc from D-911 - OPC will post if you aren't local to yours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

These are the filters mentioned

porsche%20boxster%20986%20987%20converti

Part number I think is 98756148700

Likely about 8 quid each inc vat from OPC with (real or imagined) PCGB discount- or 12 quid each inc from D-911 - OPC will post if you aren't local to yours

Definitely recommend these. Super easy to fit and catches anything that risks blocking the tube. Still need to routinely check/clear them 👍

• Like 1

...I check drainage points and also 'cover' the car when parked, so less to worry about if raining between drives.

I have a soft cover then this breathable one on the top. Also great if you clean the car, doesn't get bird poo straight on it after cleaning.

covered.jpg.06bd6a2d54ba07edb34089a7854aa8e3.jpg