Phone mount on a 987.2

DaveEFI

What's the neatest way of mounting a phone (mainly for the satnav) on my 987.2? Including powering it with preferably no cables showing or getting in the way. Perhaps on the side of the transmission tunnel by the passenger's knee? The PCM already links to it for phone calls, so don't need to get at for those. It's an S21 Ultra, if that matters.

I fitted the 'Rennline ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount' to mine and I am impressed with the way it fits and looks. It is more expensive than others available but i like the way it is discreet and you can run the USB charging cable hidden between the pass seat and the drive tunnel. As it is a magnetic mount you can view either portrait or landscape.

There is slight vibration when on bumped 'B' roads but nothing too off putting.

• Like 1

www.brodit.co.uk

Not cheap but a good few folk here like them . Can be made to fit to the transmission tunnel down beside the passenger. I tried that with a home made mount but did ot like the position as it's rather down inside the car. I prefer a vent mount for visibility but there are downsides to this too. Good luck. 

I had a similar requirement for my 986 and settled on this one after a vent mounted one just left me wincing for the slats each time I used it.

Seems robust and does the job for not a big outlay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y3YTRMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9QWGFMB2GGVH15PYK141?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brodit proclip and a brodit phone mount for me - the docs say you need to use the supplied adhesive pad on the front part - but I have used same kit in 2 cars (987.2's) and didn't need it in either so its all clip in - no holes etc.

Depends on the phone but it is a bit close to the volume switch on the stereo - but I have steering wheel controls so not an issue - and getting to sport +, sport and PSE buttons requires a little bit of accuracy - but everything is reachable without moving things. (pictures are from previous car that didnt have sport chrono and pse) 

33432225088_d122efcb6e_b.jpg

46584654914_f5b4ecc3de_b.jpg46584655764_7564ec4078_b.jpg

47255548722_ec483ed760_b.jpg

I have the universal audio ports in the armrest - so hooked up the Y Cable in there to an apple 30pin to lightning adapter and then a female to male lightning cable under the trim on the passenger side of the centre console - then looped round the back of the console and tucked into the join - you can see it in one of the photos.

They also do a vent clip I think - but I hate having things on the vents - so this looked the best option for me 

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Brodit proclip and a brodit phone mount for me

When I had my 987, I also had the same Brodit bracket, but fitted with a magnetic disc type phone holder (with self adhesive metal plates sandwiched between the phone and its cover).  I didn't bother sticking it with the adhesive pad either, it fits quite tightly without that.

Worked quite well, and was rock solid with no movement of the phone, although the position is a bit low down.  Now I've got the 981 I use a vent mounted type, again with a magnetic holder.  Seems OK, although the first time I used it I forgot to close the vent, and the aircon nearly turned the phone into a block of ice :lol:

The rennline is by far the neatest solution……..

you can see where I have the power lead tucked into the cubby (from the passenger footwell, easily tucks under the side trim) to just plug into the bottom of the phone when needed…….simple metal disk on the back of the phone and it gives you full use of the PCM and the phone with two screens almost the same size 

its not the cheapest option though………but looks much better than any other with or without the phone fitted IMHO 

The Brodit is a similar concept but just not executed as neatly 😉

I5cErp7.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jonobigblind said:

I had a similar requirement for my 986 and settled on this one after a vent mounted one just left me wincing for the slats each time I used it.

Seems robust and does the job for not a big outlay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y3YTRMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9QWGFMB2GGVH15PYK141?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hi do you have the standard radio  unit for your 986 and if so does it mean you can’t play music when the phone holder is fitted into the cd slot since this would mean the radio face plate would be opened? Or am I missing something 

cheers Dean 

9 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Hi do you have the standard radio  unit for your 986 and if so does it mean you can’t play music when the phone holder is fitted into the cd slot since this would mean the radio face plate would be opened? Or am I missing something 

cheers Dean 

Hi Dean, I have the CDR23 and the radio operates just fine with the holder in place. I can’t see the screen but that doesn’t matter as I have it in my gauge cluster anyway.  Also, if I’ve got the phone in place I just tend to stream music through a Bluetooth adapter from my iPhone and I only ever then need to touch the volume dial. 

For £9 it’s a great bit of kit and I don’t worry about damaging my vents when in use. Handy that it also sits tucked away in the glove box whilst not in use 

11 hours ago, Jonobigblind said:

Hi Dean, I have the CDR23 and the radio operates just fine with the holder in place. I can’t see the screen but that doesn’t matter as I have it in my gauge cluster anyway.  Also, if I’ve got the phone in place I just tend to stream music through a Bluetooth adapter from my iPhone and I only ever then need to touch the volume dial. 

For £9 it’s a great bit of kit and I don’t worry about damaging my vents when in use. Handy that it also sits tucked away in the glove box whilst not in use 

Thanks Jono. I think I will invest in one it really is just for using my phone for navigation I prefer the flat 6 and PSE music!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought the Brodit clip which is fine. Gives me the choice of powering via the cigar lighter (inconvenient) or USB. But my USB socket is already in use with a memory stick for my music.  But would still have to get the cable into the box where the USB connector is. What I'd really like is no wires showing - other than a short run to the holder. Any suggestions?

33 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

I've bought the Brodit clip which is fine. Gives me the choice of powering via the cigar lighter (inconvenient) or USB. But my USB socket is already in use with a memory stick for my music.  But would still have to get the cable into the box where the USB connector is. What I'd really like is no wires showing - other than a short run to the holder. Any suggestions?

I ran a 12v to dual usb ( 5v) transformer hooked to unused fuseway c1.  All hidden behind the trim next to the fuse box. The a usb lead of appropriate length from the transformer tucked up under the dash to the rear of the central section  out the passenger side then tucked into the hook between central section and the gear shift / centre console  follows a short run to the bottom of  the brodit. 

my pictures above show the run from the cubby hole which I later changed for the above setup but you can see where I ran the last few inches to the holder.  

8 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

Did you find a UBS power supply with cable ends for 12v? All I've found plug into the cigar lighter. I could use a socket for that wired to a fuse, but  wire ends would be neater.

Used this one - piggy back into empty fuseway ( live with ignition ), earthed to a handy bolt on bottom of fusebox  - one output to run the phone, the other runs my dashcam 

Auto DC 12V to DC 5V 3A 15W Hard Wired Step Down Converter Power Supply Dual USB Female Charger for Smart Phone Car DVR GPS Tablet Quick Charge
by Linko Tech EU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H6W1BZG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QBBHKKXA93GP0ERX7HJ4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Paul P