Viewing car with minor oil leak -what to do?

ThreeBeans

Evening all,

Just looking for a bit of advice while sourcing my first 968. 

I think I have found the car that fits my needs (Its a 2000 S manual 100K) and going to see it very shortly - need to validate myself in person but info shared shows good service history, big jobs such as clutch and flywheel being done etc. I know this is a 20 year old car and has milage so trying to be realistic!

Only red flag is the last MOT from 2 weeks ago shows a minor oil leak from the rear as an advisory, am guessing its a weeping RMS based on basic research. Given the clutch was only done relatively recently there is no real need to drop the gearbox in the near future.

I am going to get the car as a weekend toy so wont be putting much mileage on it so just wanted opinions on if it is an RMS if leaving it weeping for a while would be manageable or should I be expecting to get that sorted sooner rather than later. Any other likey culprits for the advisory?

Cheers!

If the clutch was done recently then I would have thought the RMS would have been done at the same time  if it was - maybe it wasn’t seared correctly.  If it wasn’t then opportunity missed.  

whilst not a failure an oil leak big enough to get a mention on a MOT I would imagine it’s more that a misting or a weep.  

but as others have said. You need to have a look.  

good luck with it. 

Someone may correct me, but if it's the rms and it's only a small leak it wont be a problem to run for a while, worst thing is if its parked a long periods your garage floor will be messy. Providing it's not excessive it will only be an advisory on the MOT. 

I think it's a labour intensive job, likely to be around £800 at an indy garage.

Thanks for the replies - will have to see what I can see when I view it but useful to know the potential causes

For the price its at its probably worth a calculated risk but time to rule with the head and not my usual see it and have to buy it routine!

cheers

Glad no one has mentions IMSB as this will be a car with a dual row more robust earlier bearing.  That said failures are no impossible just an awful lot rarer plus if it has got to 100k miles then it should complete a 'normal' life.

To those that know: Is there any what of getting a scope into the bell housing to take a look around?

Edited by ½cwt

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Don't do FB, what's the summary of the story @edc?

Seeing as he is busy, it's a quick video from Revolution showing a totally shagged bearing, I presume an IMS bearing.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Boxsum said:

If you haven’t looked at the car and just going by the m.o.t it’s also quite common for them to leak from the spark plug tubes.  So only an inspection will tell 

Get Nick Giles to do a PPI on it. Worth its weight.