Gear linkage part

Goody1664

Good evening everyone. I had an issue with my 986 2.7 2004 today. Drove for about an hour through town and when I got to my destination I couldn’t get in to reverse. After that I couldn’t get it in 1st or 2nd. Got the AA out and he identified a worn gear linkage located near the gear box. He made a temporary repair to the bush which enabled me to get home, but it still won’t engage into reverse. It has an after market short shift fitted. I’ve tried to find the part online but can’t. Can anyone advise what it is exactly called and has had anyone experienced the same issue? 9BD2C9CC-4DED-41CD-9FAE-6B678D803CBC.jpeg.ceff55dfea6651776e93ab6266185a04.jpeg

6917C7FF-49C6-49A4-81A2-1A4D1EC57DEA.jpeg

You need to order the new linkage section, the 3.2’s don’t have them.

Not easy to find and quite pricey (circa £200 from memory).

It is designed to pop on very easily but it’s then locked in place.

Yours has come off as it’s worn away the inside of the socket.

Sounds like what that linkage bar attaches to has bent slightly hence you are struggling with gear selection.

New rod and go from there 

I can knock you up an aftermarket one or send you a parts list. I replaced the one on my Cayman using some threaded rod and 2 ball sockets and it has been flawless through many track days and is significantly less than £200 (more like £15)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I can knock you up an aftermarket one or send you a parts list. I replaced the one on my Cayman using some threaded rod and 2 ball sockets and it has been flawless through many track days and is significantly less than £200 (more like £15)

I purchased a new link for my daily and it still pops off occasionally 

15 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

I purchased a new link for my daily and it still pops off occasionally 

The aftermarket approach *feels* better as the ball sockets are pinned in place. I can understand why they used the plastic/rubber ends for the cable connectors (reduced noise) but the link could have been made solid with no downsides (I have noticed no additional noise). I'll go through my ebay history and upload the links shortly

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

On a 987 the rod needs to be 113mm long (but you can adjust it slightly if needed) on a 986,you'll need to measure it. 

12 hours ago, Goody1664 said:

What length bar did you buy Lenny? 100mm or 150mm?

Well you can't cut rod longer so you'll need the 150mm 😉

Edited by Lennym1984