Front end squeak

Paul chocks

Over the last few days, I've had an increasingly annoying squeaking coming from the front of my car.  It was pretty much non-stop, not just over big undulations but more-or-less continuous.  Not loud, but one the sounds that once you've heard it, you can always hear it.  Fearing the worst, I suspected some sort of suspension issue, and was disappointed as I'd only replaced the coffin arms about 5-6 years ago.  Of course, there are plenty of other components that it could be.  These cars always seem to need something replacing, so I was pretty much resigned to looking at the suspension again.

I'd recently replaced the air-con drier and had the battery cover and air filter cover off, so for some bizarre reason, even though these are plastic, I thought I'd pop the bonnet and just check everything was fitted correctly - really knowing they couldn't be the cause of the squeaking.  Of course, they were fine.  However, while the bonnet was open, I grabbed hold of the spare wheel to give the car a bounce and see if I could identify the source.  Ha!  The spare wheel was squeaking against the post.  Somehow the nut had worked just a smidge loose.  Quick hand tighten and all gone - spirited test drive confirmed all good.

Now that sort of 'fix' doesn't happen often!   Reminded me of the 80's GTI advert where the squeak was the young lady's earing.

• Like 2