Bye, Bye 992...Hello 718 Spyder!

RBD914 v2

Very, very nice. 

Gold wheels with silver body works brilliantly - if you’d described that I’d have been sceptical to say the least. 

This iteration of the Spyder is probably the only Boxster that would tempt me to sell my 986. 

Keep going back to the photos.

Fabulous….!

18 minutes ago, map said:

Very, very nice. 

Gold wheels with silver body works brilliantly - if you’d described that I’d have been sceptical to say the least. 

This iteration of the Spyder is probably the only Boxster that would tempt me to sell my 986. 

Keep going back to the photos.

Fabulous….!

Glad you approve Matthew!

9 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Beautiful car and welcome back from the world of 911’s😂

Great colour combination and the king of the Boxsters👍

We need more pictures when you get chance 👌

Thanks for your kind comments, more pictures as requested.

2021-08-15_09-47-222021-08-15_09-47-022021-08-15_09-48-50

• Like 4

1 hour ago, map said:

Wondering what it would be like with the 718 Spyder logo in gold also, like the 60s Speedster :) 

Great car, lucky man!

I know a few new owners who are now looking at options to add back the sound the extra emissions has robbed 😉 ….its across the range but more noticeable on the open tops

On 8/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, Jonttt said:

I know a few new owners who are now looking at options to add back the sound the extra emissions has robbed 😉 ….its across the range but more noticeable on the open tops

Yes I noticed that, however without removing the extra emissions gubbins I don't think any aftermarket exhaust will give back the pops and bangs on the over run. Problem is that fiddling with emissions filters etc causes the car to throw an error light and is illegal in the UK.

Having listened to several exhaust systems, of which the JCR seems most popular, they don't appear to sound much different to stock. Also they may cause Porsche warranty problems...

I had big problems with drone when I put an Akrapovic exhaust on an BMW M2 in the past, so I am a bit wary of introducing that issue too!

All in all, the car sounds good, yes the pops and bangs have gone but thats the way things are for all new cars going forward. So shelling out for a new exhaust seems to be a very quick way to waste £4,500 if you are not very careful!

The sound is supposed to improve with miles apparently, so I will see how it goes.

Edited by RBD914 v2

3 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

The sound is supposed to improve with miles apparently, so I will see how it goes.

My neighbour has owned his 982 Spyder for a good while now and I think the sound has improved with use.

That said I think it sounded pretty good fresh from the factory - too many exhausts are engineered to sound “sporty” and they just sound fake.

Based on my neighbour’s car the 982 GT/Spyder makes a great noise once they’ve actually had some proper miles put on them…..

3 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Yes I noticed that, however without removing the extra emissions gubbins I don't think any aftermarket exhaust will give back the pops and bangs on the over run. Problem is that fiddling with emissions filters etc causes the car to throw an error light and is illegal in the UK.

Having listened to several exhaust systems, of which the JCR seems most popular, they don't appear to sound much different to stock. Also they may cause Porsche warranty problems...

I had big problems with drone when I put an Akrapovic exhaust on an BMW M2 in the past, so I am a bit wary of introducing that issue too!

All in all, the car sounds good, yes the pops and bangs have gone but thats the way things are for all new cars going forward. So shelling out for a new exhaust seems to be a very quick way to waste £4,500 if you are not very careful!

Pops and bangs are not a good thing - after following some Twonk down the M3 the other day who's little A3 was making these every 5 mins as he kept accelerating and lifting - it very, very quickly wears thin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, map said:

My neighbour has owned his 982 Spyder for a good while now and I think the sound has improved with use.

That said I think it sounded pretty good fresh from the factory - too many exhausts are engineered to sound “sporty” and they just sound fake.

Based on my neighbour’s car the 982 GT/Spyder makes a great noise once they’ve actually had some proper miles put on them…..

That's good to know Matthew.

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Pops and bangs are not a good thing - after following some Twonk down the M3 the other day who's little A3 was making these every 5 mins as he kept accelerating and lifting - it very, very quickly wears thin

I did sometimes cringe when going through built up areas in the 981 GTS as it popped and banged even with PSE off. Everyone turned too see which "boy racer" was approaching.

Great fun if you are out for a spirited run with other noisy Porsches, but as you say it wears a bit thin after a while.

My wife hated it and it was far to noisy on a long run - or maybe I'm just getting too old for that racket!

The 718 Spyder is a little more refined in that regard!

21 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I did sometimes cringe when going through built up areas in the 981 GTS as it popped and banged even with PSE off. Everyone turned too see which "boy racer" was approaching.

Great fun if you are out for a spirited run with other noisy Porsches, but as you say it wears a bit thin after a while.

My wife hated it and it was far to noisy on a long run - or maybe I'm just getting too old for that racket!

The 718 Spyder is a little more refined in that regard!

I saw a Spyder similar to yours yesterday on the m6 toll, same body colour but with dark alloys.

It looks fantastic, that new front bumper really stood out in the traffic. It also looks really good with the hood on, it is the first one I’ve seen in wild with the hood up and looks very cool 😉👌

• 2 months later...

Not been on the site for some time and so have just seen this today Rob, welcome back to a Boxster, you know it makes sense 😎

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh if we ever get the chance for a coffee catch up soon 😂 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Withy said:

Realised I hadn't commented here.  Cracking combo Rob - congrats on the Spyder, it looks awesome.

How are you finding the roof? Doesn't actually look too much of a faff based on a few YT videos

Thank you for your kind comments mate!

There is no denying that the roof is a bit of a faff, but it's worth it for the junior supercar looks!

You soon get used to it to be honest, I tend to leave it down in the Summer anyway!

Roof up it also looks different to a regular Boxster due to those flying buttress thingies!

I also didn't realise that it had a plastic rear screen for ages!

• Like 1