Spyder Premium Offer

RBD914 v2

Completely out of the blue, I've just been offered £10k over what I paid for my 718 Spyder due to the current shortage of new cars...

It is a tempting offer - but what else is there to buy that's as good at the price?

Damned if I know, suppose I could buy another new Spyder - but what's the chance of getting one?

Never been in this position of being able to "flip" a car for so much profit in such a short time frame.

Hmm, what to do, as possibly the last of the petrol engined Spyders it may always be a good investment and hold it's value. Although it was bought as a car to drive, not as an investment!

Thoughts?

Swapping German for Italian…..  you must be mad.  That £10k will be spent on maintenance and repairs very quickly if you do!

11 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Well you did ask...!

:laugh:

Me, I would sell BUT for me that £10,000 represents almost half my yearly wage so unlikely I would ever be in your position. 

So running costs on the 718 I could probably handle but not the Ferrari's I would expect.

Having said all that if Covid has taught me anything it is that your health/life is a fragile and fickle thing.

So if there is something you want to do, and let's be honest who wouldn't want a Ferrari, then fill your boots.

Just please don't be shy and keep us updated with piccies etc.

• Like 1

It’s a interesting position to be in and I honestly don’t know what I would do!

I ve always loved the Boxster Spyder but equally I am a big Ferrari fan.

I do think the 458 is the pick of the sensible Ferraris😉 but if you want a car to use and enjoy they are mileage sensitive…. Also you would still need to put a decent lump of money together with the sale of the Spyder to get there.

I would personally be over the moon to own and drive a brand new Spyder and feel quite smug I could let it go for £10k over list if I wanted.

The choice is yours….

2 hours ago, EagleStar said:

Swapping German for Italian…..  you must be mad.  That £10k will be spent on maintenance and repairs very quickly if you do!

Yes, that is a consideration, especially as it would be 7 years old and well out of warranty.

2 hours ago, EXY said:

:laugh:

Me, I would sell BUT for me that £10,000 represents almost half my yearly wage so unlikely I would ever be in your position. 

So running costs on the 718 I could probably handle but not the Ferrari's I would expect.

Having said all that if Covid has taught me anything it is that your health/life is a fragile and fickle thing.

So if there is something you want to do, and let's be honest who wouldn't want a Ferrari, then fill your boots.

Just please don't be shy and keep us updated with piccies etc.

Hmm...I know what you, it's all relative I suppose, £10,000 to me is a lot smaller percentage of my annual wage.

Running costs would worry me, as would lack of warranty.

It is also a fair chunk of money on top of the Spyder to get a 458, is it worth it?

I am currently thinking that the 458 is nice - but not 50% more money nicer than my Spyder!

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

It’s a interesting position to be in and I honestly don’t know what I would do!

I ve always loved the Boxster Spyder but equally I am a big Ferrari fan.

I do think the 458 is the pick of the sensible Ferraris😉 but if you want a car to use and enjoy they are mileage sensitive…. Also you would still need to put a decent lump of money together with the sale of the Spyder to get there.

I would personally be over the moon to own and drive a brand new Spyder and feel quite smug I could let it go for £10k over list if I wanted.

The choice is yours….

Current thinking is to keep the Spyder for the reasons you very eloquently state!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

7 owners 🤣 now where’s that “How many owners is too many….” Thread 🤪

38 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Hmm...I know what you, it's all relative I suppose, £10,000 to me is a lot smaller percentage of my annual wage.

Running costs would worry me, as would lack of warranty.

It is also a fair chunk of money on top of the Spyder to get a 458, is it worth it?

I am currently thinking that the 458 is nice - but not 50% more money nicer than my Spyder!

Can't argue but no matter how nice the Porsche is it isn't a Ferrari.

What about selling the 718, bank the money and buy the Ferrari for half-price when things bottom out :)

just please please please don't start quoting things like;

I've an itch I need to scratch.

I'm about to pull the trigger etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Having ridden shotgun in an extremely well driven 458 on UK roads I would say that they are a massive event, massively quick and need a massive amount of space to be really enjoyed.

I have also experienced some of the Borders roads led by you. 

Reflecting on those two experiences I’d say you will get more absolute pleasure from the Spyder than the 458. 

For a lower capital exposure.

A lower risk of unexpected remedial work.

And at the end of the day if you want ballistic speed you’ve always got motorbikes….

• Like 1

458 is fecking awesome of awesomeness - after driving one through the alps I can say it’s the best car I’ve ever driven - sell the Boxster and take the £10k while you can, but a nice 355 now and as those prices rise and the 458 drops, swap over.

you could also get a very nice McLaren at the same price point - a few super cars drop into range - do it now before we are forced into driving soulless electric cars with mandatory speed limiters

8 hours ago, EXY said:

Can't argue but no matter how nice the Porsche is it isn't a Ferrari.

What about selling the 718, bank the money and buy the Ferrari for half-price when things bottom out :)

just please please please don't start quoting things like;

I've an itch I need to scratch.

I'm about to pull the trigger etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Did wonder about selling high and buying low...but how long is the bit in between,

7 hours ago, map said:

Having ridden shotgun in an extremely well driven 458 on UK roads I would say that they are a massive event, massively quick and need a massive amount of space to be really enjoyed.

I have also experienced some of the Borders roads led by you. 

Reflecting on those two experiences I’d say you will get more absolute pleasure from the Spyder than the 458. 

For a lower capital exposure.

A lower risk of unexpected remedial work.

And at the end of the day if you want ballistic speed you’ve always got motorbikes….

As always a great and considered opinion from you Matthew, based on personal experience- thanks for that!

I must say I think you are spot on!

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Sell it and get a 4.0 GTS. Like your Spyder but with a real roof. Then as map says, you can enjoy it frequently. Spend your profit on upgrading :) 

I have done that, a GTS in the spec I would want comes in at £80k...that's what I paid for the Spyder so not really a consideration, the Spyder is a more desirable car at that price  

So not really an option, unless I really need the £10k.. which to be fair I don't really.

So the Spyder is winning so far!