Spyder Premium Offer

RBD914 v2

1 hour ago, Araf said:

You got out of the 911 quick enough.  Are they too much for the road?  How will a Fezza be on the same roads?

The 911 was more like a GT than a sports car, too big, wide and heavy for the roads I drive.

But an itch I needed to scratch.

The Fezza is smaller, more agile,but too fragile...I don't know?   

16 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

458 is fecking awesome of awesomeness - after driving one through the alps I can say it’s the best car I’ve ever driven - sell the Boxster and take the £10k while you can, but a nice 355 now and as those prices rise and the 458 drops, swap over.

you could also get a very nice McLaren at the same price point - a few super cars drop into range - do it now before we are forced into driving soulless electric cars with mandatory speed limiters

Well yes, I hear what you are saying about electric cars, but I already have a Jag I-pace for every day use - brilliant by the way.

McLaren, no thanks!

355 then a 458, potential huge loss there, and I think the 458 prices will rise not fall...

The 718 Spyder seems to hit the sweet spot for people with finite funds that want maximum enjoyment from an open topped two seater.

Seems like I already have utopia, maybe I should recognise the fact and stick with it...nice as the Ferrari dream may seem!

1 minute ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Well yes, I hear what you are saying about electric cars, but I already have a Jag I-pace for every day use - brilliant by the way.

McLaren, no thanks!

355 then a 458, potential huge loss there, and I think the 458 prices will rise not fall...

The 718 Spyder seems to hit the sweet spot for people with finite funds that want maximum enjoyment from an open topped two seater.

Seems like I already have utopia, maybe I should recognise the fact and stick with it...nice as the Ferrari dream may seem!

You’ve already talked yourself out of it so no dice on the deal.

for me, Fezza trumps any Porsche full stop, the 458 is a super car, the Spyder is a sports car,  but each to their own - be boring I’d we all liked the same  😎

Edited by Mattman42

2 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

The 911 was more like a GT than a sports car, too big, wide and heavy for the roads I drive.

But an itch I needed to scratch.

The Fezza is smaller, more agile,but too fragile...I don't know?   

Are you sure?

458 Italia   L 4527,  W 1937, Wheelbase 2650

992 L 4519-4535,  W 1852-1900, Wheelbase 2450

I think you'll find the power makes the 458 feel as wide as a 911.

I’d say you will still be able to sell for more than you paid next summer so you may as well enjoy the spyder for a year.

I was quoted next April for a GTS 4.0 and the spyder is even more limited than that (I’d sell a kidney to buy one at RRP).

at least this way you enjoy the car whilst under warranty and who knows which itch you’ll have next year 😉

im hoping to get a 981 spyder at some point.

Having a 458 is an event, but my experience is that you’ll probably have more fun on most UK roads in the Spyder…as you can use more of it if you know what I mean..

The 458 is a fab car but it’s almost too capable on the road and pretty expensive to track.

The service pack and warranty on mine is an excellent thing to have, cost me hardly a penny over two years, but out of warranty you do worry about a big bill looming over the horizon..

The Spyder gives you about 90% of what the 458 will, however the itch can be rather testing….so would definitely understand if you went for it…

I came up behind a 458 on a very narrow very twisty road recently so I thought ' he'll never be able to get away.' And for a couple of tight turns he didn't. Then we hit a short straight and I never saw himagain.

My neighbour had a 430. He said it cost 5k a year whether he drove it or not, more if it needed a screw or a washer or if he drove it at all. So your 10k might not last long. But a 458 is pretty much top of the tree. It can suck up £10k like I can suck up single malt though. When you're paying....

2 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

This has taken my eye, still has warranty and free servicing pack until 2025...

Beautiful car...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106023355913?atmobcid=soc3

You will upset the Ferrari purists with that turbo fed piece of shyate 🤣

Just kidding that’s lovely 🥰 

6 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

That is gorgeous but now would be the time to sell not buy.

Not sure of the spec on your Spyder but just to give you some reference to the prices these cars are trading at the moment but I looked at this Spyder at the weekend. Slightly shocked at the £107K price tag but its since sold. 

8 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

That is gorgeous but now would be the time to sell not buy.

Not sure of the spec on your Spyder but just to give you some reference to the prices these cars are trading at the moment but I looked at this Spyder at the weekend. Slightly shocked at the £107K price tag but its since sold. 

Wow, that's an amazing price!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, Roddy said:

Price of Spyders is just too high.  A few months into Buttercup I bought a used one with 500 miles.  Advertised at £99k but after 2 hour’s negotiation bought for £90k.  Although sold it 7 months later for £86k.  

Why pray tell?

14 hours ago, JonSta said:

No-one (almost) seems to keep spyders. I'd  like to know why too....

Because it’s the U.K.! The shyate & unpredictable weather is an issue with the stoopid’ roof design…. Anywhere else where it’s drier & sunny you wouldn’t have to mess around so often!

Maybe why the Boxster ‘non-spyder’ is a better option 😁

(just my opinion nothing more before all the haters go off on one 🫣)

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You'd think it wouldn't be beyond the wit of Porsche to figure out an electric roof for the Spyder. The Spyder is exactly equivalent mechanically to a GT4 these days. Whether that makes it a better road car than a GTS I don't know. I can't help but think a Boxster GTS is good enough for most. Beyond that it's a law of diminishing returns. You can sell Spyders for more money...... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

You'd think it wouldn't be beyond the wit of Porsche to figure out an electric roof for the Spyder. The Spyder is exactly equivalent mechanically to a GT4 these days. Whether that makes it a better road car than a GTS I don't know. I can't help but think a Boxster GTS is good enough for most. Beyond that it's a law of diminishing returns. You can sell Spyders for more money...... 

I wonder exactly how many of the ‘Spyder’ sales were destined (see designed) for warmer climbs??  I’m guessing the vast majority are in the US or UAE and the U.K. sales were just a small insignificant fraction. Purely guessing with no valid sales figures to back up!

3 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

I wonder exactly how many of the ‘Spyder’ sales were destined (see designed) for warmer climbs??  I’m guessing the vast majority are in the US or UAE and the U.K. sales were just a small insignificant fraction. Purely guessing with no valid sales figures to back up!

220 odd UK 981 Spyders - I think this was out of around 2500 worldwide in total, closer to double the 981 number in the UK so far for the 718 version I believe.  
800+ 981s in the US so that was a big market.  10% of production here - not insignificant.

As the exception that proves the rule I’ve had mine 6 years now and won’t be selling anytime soon.  The roof is a non issue for me as I’m fortunate enough to drive it as a second car - but then I did have an S1 Elise for 10 years so it’s all relative 😀

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Carmand said:

220 odd UK 981 Spyders - I think this was out of around 2500 worldwide in total, closer to double the 981 number in the UK so far for the 718 version I believe.  
800+ 981s in the US so that was a big market.  10% of production here - not insignificant.

That’s actually more than I thought, % wise if you go by population that’s quite similar! I expected a lot less percentage per capita in the U.K. to US for sure!!

The UK used to have the highest demand for convertibles in Europe. Certainly not many people drive roof down around Lisbon. Sun is too hot in summer and they think below 15c is too cold. 
I collect many “looks” :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

The UK used to have the highest demand for convertibles in Europe. Certainly not many people drive roof down around Lisbon. Sun is too hot in summer and they think below 15c is too cold. 
I collect many “looks” :) 

I took mine to Spain summer day time would certainly be too hot - esp with black leather. Evenings and early spring/late autumn daytimes would be OK. Only person I ever see with a convertible is my neighbour - he has a Volvo C70. Locals certainly don't bother.