Front bumper opening cover

Camels

Hi all - apologies if this has been asked before however I am not entirely sure what to call this or what to use as a search term...

On my 987 there is a black plastic cover in the gap at the bottom of the front bumper where a front-engine car would normally have a radiator intake (tried to attach pic), however on mine the cover has come away from the little metal clips around the the left-hand inside edge of the hole, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to push it back into place as I cannot get to the back of it that I can see.  I thought it would be just a matter of reaching from underneath the bottom of the nose however the bodywork extends under the car so no access that way. 

Has anyone had this happen to them and is there a way of getting it pushed back into place that does not involve something more involved such as removing the bumper😨?

CUndrCK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you take off the front under tray you may be able to get in behind it and relocate it.  Less fiddly than bumper off but if you can't, bumper off may be the only solution.  Granted I have a 986 rather than 987 but they are not that different and it may seem a bit scary but it is actually fairly straight forward, just put and blanket/dust sheet on the floor in front of the car so you don't scratch it and two pairs of hands just to guide it back on.  Make a note of where all the fixings came out of so you put them all back.  If it comes to this, whilst it is off clean out your air con condensers and engine rads as the ducts tend to funnel all the road debris to the bottom edge of these and then they rot out....

Thanks both - will have another look to see what I can remove.  Unfortunately I do not have a garage (or indeed frequent access to a spare pair of hands!) so doing this sort of work is not as easy as it seems.

Good point about cleaning out rads although I did fit some mesh guards a little while back so hopefully debris should be minimal, still worth a check though I expect.

Edited by Camels

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, Greybeard said:

S models have a centre radiator here, rather than the blanking plate iirc.

Not sure that's true as I have a .1 S.  I think it's filled with the Tip - oil cooler or summat.

2 hours ago, Skidd said:

Yes it was tips, not S's having the center rad.  I'd take a look at the parts diag to see how it fits together, might give you some pointers.

I looked early on after this was posted. It's not very helpful on this occasion.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input folks. 

Car's due to go in for scheduled service anyway in next couple of weeks so will just get them to sort it out then, doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the meantime other than me having to spend a minute or so to refit/adjust it every couple of drives.