Front radiator fans

hpi_matrix

Both my front rad fans appear to have suddenly stopped working. The side engine fan still comes on when up to temp, are the front rad fans meant to come on with it?

I only noticed as the AC seemed to have stopped working, it is hissing in the cabin but appears to have a decent amount of pressure in it, the compressor is kicking but the fans aren't doing anything.

I've checked the 40a fuses, and the low speed relays. Is there an easy way to test/by-pass the fan resistors, or force the front fans to run?

241486321_10159940232362745_9095090223842570407_n.jpg

The engine bay fan and front rads are controlled separately I believe.  If the A/C is working the fans cut in almost as soon as you stop to keep air flowing over the condensers, otherwise the fans cut in a approx. 95°C on the temp gauge for the water cooling system, so letting the system rise to this temp with the A/C off is one way to see if they kick in, if not, get driving fairly sharpish to cool the system with air flow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The engine bay fan and front rads are controlled separately I believe.  If the A/C is working the fans cut in almost as soon as you stop to keep air flowing over the condensers, otherwise the fans cut in a approx. 95°C on the temp gauge for the water cooling system, so letting the system rise to this temp with the A/C off is one way to see if they kick in, if not, get driving fairly sharpish to cool the system with air flow.

Yep just leave it ticking over, the secondary fans will eventually kick in due to zero air cooling. 

The ballast resistors are known to fail due to corrosion and the exposed position they are fitted, however for both to go at the same time is too coincidental I'd ahve thought, unless one had gone and you have now noticed because both have now gone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 9:23 PM, hpi_matrix said:

Jumped the pins on the relay today, stage 2 works on both, stage 1 does not, assume its the resistor pack. No idea whats up with the air-con, gutted as I just replaced both condensers.

You might as well change the fans for the cost

Resistor https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod138301/Series-Resistor-Porsche-986-Boxster---996/

Fan https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod149144/Radiator-water-fan-Porsche-986-Boxster---996/

Radiators if you need them https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod139772/Radiator-for-Water-Coolant-Fluid-Porsche-996---Boxster-986--OE-Part-No-99610613151---99610613251---HELLA_2/

Over the years I've rarely if ever seen a report of the rad itself failing. Normally is the resistor or occasionally a blockage preventing the fan from turning. But if jumping them and the fans turn then it must be the resistor. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, hpi_matrix said:

I used these on my 986, worked like a dream.

I have a chinese resistor for the rad packs in my shed somewhere. You are welcome to have it for the cost of postage but...They only cost me £1.39 each (a couple of years ago) so probably cheaper to just buy your own. Do not waste your money paying for the porsche one - a resistor is just a resistor (assuming that the wattage and resistance are the same).