Establishing OPC warranty

JurassicBGTS

I have asked my friendly OPC how this works, but do not expect and answer till at least Monday.

If I buy a 2013 car outside of the OPC network, still privately registered to it's one owner, that has a full OPC service history and was last serviced by an OPC in July 2021 can I pay the £1400 to obtain an OPC 2 year warranty?

Reading up on this I think I have to wait 3 months then apply and as the last service was OPC I don't have to have the 111 point inspection.

Can anyone confirm or correct me on this?

I believe you are correct albeit I’m unsure about the 111 point check!

My guess is they will insist on doing one as you never know what might have happened to the car ‘since’ the service! They really don’t want to have to repair something they can make you pay for ;) 

Most service departments are open until midday on Saturdays, give your local one a call and ask.

Did this on my 987.2 last year.  

you have to have owned the car for 3 months.  It has to have had its previous service at OPC, I had to have the 111 point check. 

3rd party items fail the 111 check. Battery. Brakes.  Suspension. 

the a/c has to work etc.  N related tyres.  Matched.  Even wear, not more than 5 years old (I think you can argue that one) 

for renewals.  At least last year because of covid they were waiving the check requirement.  But not for “new business”. 

In my case I replaced the yuasa battery with Porsche branded one and that was it since it met the remainder or the requirements. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:54 PM, Paul P said:

Did this on my 987.2 last year.  

you have to have owned the car for 3 months.  It has to have had its previous service at OPC, I had to have the 111 point check. 

3rd party items fail the 111 check. Battery. Brakes.  Suspension. 

the a/c has to work etc.  N related tyres.  Matched.  Even wear, not more than 5 years old (I think you can argue that one) 

for renewals.  At least last year because of covid they were waiving the check requirement.  But not for “new business”. 

In my case I replaced the yuasa battery with Porsche branded one and that was it since it met the remainder or the requirements. 

What OPC was that Paul?  I see you're local to me.

Just extended my warranty at Sidcup, was serviced by them a couple of month's back, no need for 111 point check - it wasn't even mentioned.

17 minutes ago, moospeed said:

What OPC was that Paul?  I see you're local to me.

Just extended my warranty at Sidcup, was serviced by them a couple of month's back, no need for 111 point check - it wasn't even mentioned.

Tonbridge OPC. 

I think things changed with COVID. For renewal no 111 point check. And they now seem to be offering 3 year renewals. 

whereabouts are you. ?

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Tonbridge OPC. 

I think things changed with COVID. For renewal no 111 point check. And they now seem to be offering 3 year renewals. 

whereabouts are you. ?

I'm up near Hempstead Valley, so in the neighbourhood 😉

They offered me one or two year renewals but might have done three if I'd asked.  I only went for the one year as it's still got a little while to go before the extension + I don't think of this car as a keeper, more of a toe-dip into the world of Porsche before diving in the deep end or finding another pool.   Can't think of what the next move will be yet though, it's hard to fault this 🤔 

My cars in for a service and mot on the 4th and I’ve just enquired about a two year warranty, they’ve quoted me £1486.00 including inspection without roadside or £1771.00 with roadside. If I go down this route I’ll go with the £1486.00, that’s on my 2015 981. I have a warranty still running for the next twelve months with WMS but reading the small print I don’t think it’ll be much help at all and with my recent PDK replacement an OPC warranty will give me a bit more peace of mind. October is going to be expensive😐

• 2 weeks later...

Pottering around in the garage today doing little bits of tidying on the car. I fitted my CTEK and noticed the battery is a newish looking Yuasa 80 AGM battery.

I guess this isn't Porsch OEM?

Will this really have to be changed when I apply for my extended warranty in 3 months, or have people managed to get away with non OEM batteries as they are not covered by the extended warranty anyway?

31 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Pottering around in the garage today doing little bits of tidying on the car. I fitted my CTEK and noticed the battery is a newish looking Yuasa 80 AGM battery.

I guess this isn't Porsch OEM?

Will this really have to be changed when I apply for my extended warranty in 3 months, or have people managed to get away with non OEM batteries as they are not covered by the extended warranty anyway?

In my experience yes it will have to be changed. 

What about the tyres ?  All matching N rated ?   All less than 5yrs old? Even wear across both wheels on the same axle ? Was the most recent service done at an OPC ? 

vs

how much is a new gearbox ?

or a replacement pcm ?

or an instrument cluster or a set of active engine mounts? 

it’s a judgement call.  If you want the cover that a Porsche extended warranty provides then you have to meet their entry criteria. Depends how far away from their requirements that your car is as to see  if it’s worth it. 

fwiw - although not covered by the general extended warranty a replacement battery is covered by a 2 year warranty   

a 3rd party warranty has less conditions but likely reduced cover not all warranties are the same.  I had one tell me a seized belt tensioner wasn’t a failure and their labour limit was 50 an hour. 

their ball  their rules  

Mines in for its inspection and warranty on Monday next week, I’ve currently got Bosch wipers fitted and my front tyres although legal are just over five years old. It’ll be interesting to see what they say about those. If the tyres are an issue I’m happy to replace them as they’re going to need replacing soon but there’s none available until mid October. 

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

What about the tyres ?  All matching N rated ?   All less than 5yrs old? Even wear across both wheels on the same axle ? Was the most recent service done at an OPC ? 

vs

how much is a new gearbox ?

or a replacement pcm ?

or an instrument cluster or a set of active engine mounts? 

it’s a judgement call.  If you want the cover that a Porsche extended warranty provides then you have to meet their entry criteria. Depends how far away from their requirements that your car is as to see  if it’s worth it. 

fwiw - although not covered by the general extended warranty a replacement battery is covered by a 2 year warranty   

a 3rd party warranty has less conditions but likely reduced cover not all warranties are the same.  I had one tell me a seized belt tensioner wasn’t a failure and their labour limit was 50 an hour. 

their ball  their rules  

Brand new Pirelli N rated tyres, full OPC service history, last services by OPC Reading end July, so only issue should be the battery. Will chat with Porsche Bournemouth when my Macan goes in for service to see if they will be flexible on what looks like a new battery.

Just had a long chat with the previous original owner. He has confirmed only the battery and wiper blades are not OEM, new discs and pads fitted 1,000 miles ago were bought from his OPC and fitted by his independent.

So as soon as I can get the 111 point inspection done (3 months) I will put it on extended warranty. 

Did speak to a local independent who can get/fit/code a Porsche battery from Porsche Bournemouth at a cost of £395. Not sure if that is much of a saving?

24 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Just had a long chat with the previous original owner. He has confirmed only the battery and wiper blades are not OEM, new discs and pads fitted 1,000 miles ago were bought from his OPC and fitted by his independent.

So as soon as I can get the 111 point inspection done (3 months) I will put it on extended warranty. 

Did speak to a local independent who can get/fit/code a Porsche battery from Porsche Bournemouth at a cost of £395. Not sure if that is much of a saving?

Ask the OPC to do a deal to fit the battery at the same time as the check ?

Not the same car but battery on mine (987.2) was about £200 after PCGB discount (no coding on mine).

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

Know anyone with a 981 who would lend you a battery for a day ?

Coding the battery takes less time than putting the spanners away ( assuming they have the right kit ) battery (95ah) is approx 320 inc vat from Porsche ( call it 300 quid if you invoke "can I have some discount please" ) - I reckon you could ask them to supply and fit once they have "failed" it on the inspection ( assuming nothing else found) for similar money and less running around as the indy.

Not sure what the situation is for AGM batteries- but for my 987.2 they store the batteries "dry" - and fill and charge them when required - so they ask for 24-48hours lead time when ordering - probably not the case for AGM - but worth checking.

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

Just for your info mine passed the warranty inspection although my front tyres are over five years old, has Bosch wiper blades fitted and my tyre gunk is out of date. All were noted down but they were still happy to cover it for two years. 
They gave me a Taycan to play with for the day, lovely car and very rapid, the service advisor encouraged me to use launch contol and have fun. 

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

Just for your info mine passed the warranty inspection although my front tyres are over five years old, has Bosch wiper blades fitted and my tyre gunk is out of date. All were noted down but they were still happy to cover it for two years. 
They gave me a Taycan to play with for the day, lovely car and very rapid, the service advisor encouraged me to use launch contol and have fun. 

Sounds like a very decent OPC. Who was it?

My previous experience with a 111 point check for renewal seen it refused due to Zunsport front grills 😳

34 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

That’s really interesting as my refusal due to Zunsport front grills was in the same group. Dove. So obviously down to some might overlook certain non Porsche items and some won’t. Nothing to do with hard and fast guidelines 👍

Front grills seem to be a "sensitive" item, have heard of requests going all the way up through Porsche UK back to the mothership and the result coming down either way weeks apart.  Personally -, I think the fundamental issue is Porsche can't say 3rd party X is OK, rather than 3rd party Y. And if they "grills are ok" then I could pitch up with two bits of plywood with a 5mm hole in and declare "they don't affect the airflow".

They could of course solve it by selling Brand *anything* with a Porsche badge on it - but their ball, their rules I guess.

Also in the US - things like battery are noted as "non standard" and the customer basically signs a waiver that says "nothing related to the battery is covered" - in a car with complex electronics - not sure I like that wiggle room - "my alternator died - wrong battery", "my ecu died - wrong battery" - but at least there's the choice.

This is also  about "take on of warranty" - not "claim on warranty" - local OPC gave an example - "if under warranty and you come in with a failed instrument cluster, we aren't going to look at who made your brake disks, but if you come in with an ABS failure, then we might" - so I guess there's scope for "right when tested and then move on" - there's probably a market in renting out porsche batteries and N rated tyres for a day or two....

Personally, I ended up with a battery replacement that I didn't need, and I also replaced the wiper blades, because it needed some and I figured to remove that as an possible issue.

I have also heard of someone "failing" the 111 point check because "wrong sat nav installed" - when queried the response was "porsche don't supply Garmin units" - so he leant into the car and removed it from the windscreen! - so it seems there is enough scope for stupidity and bloody mindedness.

• Like 1