Suspension knock any common issues

Spinjim

If anyone has driven the roads of East Sussex and Kent they will understand that the roads are a nightmare with nasty pot holes and road surfaces which resemble Roman roads. 
No surprise that I think I can hear a ball joint or bush knocking. 

Any common suspension issues to start ?

Jim

Replaced both my rear coffin arms, had to concentrate but could just hear a faint knock occasionally from the rear.

Replaced front wish bone; the ball joint at its tip connects it to the wheel bearing assembly etc. Didn't hear any noise, or notice any change in the steering but showed up when checked at the MOT. An expensive casting at £377.72 including Porsche tax 😉 to replace a failing ball joint but hey ho whats your life worth 🤔😳, do the other side as well!

Jim, my advice is, if you can’t identify the part with play, just start replacing from the least expensive first. You don’t say whether it’s front or rear? Basically drop links rattle, tuning forks sound like snooker balls banging together and coffin arms creek.

That’s an expensive way to fault find!

Somebody who knows their way around a ballpoint with a lever would be a better idea!

5 minutes ago, lofi said:

Jim, my advice is, if you can’t identify the part with play, just start replacing from the least expensive first. You don’t say whether it’s front or rear? Basically drop links rattle, tuning forks sound like snooker balls banging together and coffin arms creek.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 8:31 PM, Duffy3074 said:

That’s an expensive way to fault find!

Somebody who knows their way around a ballpoint with a lever would be a better idea!

I was still getting over £1700 for two ball joints and a geo.

29 minutes ago, lofi said:

I was still getting over £1700 for two ball joints and a geo.

That was the least of it

They wanted to replace all the discs and pads that I replaced less than 3k ago due to mild surface corrosion to the inner faces at £750 and £604 for the front/rears and the 4 teeny weeny pipes from the calipers to the flex’s for £1500!

It needed a new battery   (£503 which I had to do as it’s under warranty and twice the price of effectively the same battery that Merc just did for my E class daily, but Merc are a well known economy brand after all). 

I did all 4 solid pipes, all 4 flex pipes, the 4 heat shields for the discs, all the bleed nipples to stainless and even genuine Porsche brake fluid for under £400! 

Easy job with the only ‘gotcha’ is that the rear caliper bolts are a new shorter bolt than the older cars

Jings

😆

• Like 1