Airbag light just scanned

mortzz

Hi all, so ive just scanned my 986 with the Foxwell NT530 as i have the airbag light on, it gave me the codes, 03 Airbag warning supply and 21 Ignition circuit driver, i belive the number 21 is the clock spring unde the steering whell airbag, so ive cleared the codes and expected the fault to jump straight back up but after switching the ignition on the airbag went out within the correct time and after an hours run has stayed off, im 100% sure it will relight , any thoughts on this

thanks

Andy

I change a lot of clock springs.

The wires on them are extremely brittle due to the age and it is most likely a tiny break / kink in the wire that has caused it to come on.

Leave it for now and see what happens.

If it comes on again, it is a very easy job to change them.

Paul 

Thanks for the update,  I can recommend the Foxwell NT530 it's not bad on price around £190 , I could of got it alot cheaper but mainly from china and I was concerned about being ripped off and clones   ,,  evidently someone will correct me but they said the Foxwell Nt530 does around 80% of what a durametric does

On 9/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, TROOPER88 said:

I change a lot of clock springs.

The wires on them are extremely brittle due to the age and it is most likely a tiny break / kink in the wire that has caused it to come on.

Leave it for now and see what happens.

If it comes on again, it is a very easy job to change them.

Paul 

Airbag light back on yesterday so definitely looking at changing the clock spring , will take a look at it today , plenty of second hand units about 

5 hours ago, mortzz said:

Airbag light back on yesterday so definitely looking at changing the clock spring , will take a look at it today , plenty of second hand units about 

Is it clock spring or just the rubber washers it sits on? These can perish and cause a problem.

1 hour ago, mortzz said:

Cheers mate am gona have to have a look and see if I can find anything wrong or have to put a second hand unit in 

Strip down and see the item number on the clock spring as there are a few types.

Be careful removing and putting back the steering wheel as not to snap the 2 plastic tabs on the clock spring.

Ok picked up the part from Douglas valley this morning £48 ensuring it was for a manual and correct part number,  I would say the job Is not hard just tricky , I ensured I lined the front wheels up and marked the steering wheel and nut with a black line to get the wheel perfectly were it came off, didn't expect it to work but just been down the road and indicators turn off as they should do.. and will have to go another run to see if the steering wheel is 100% straight with the tyres,  checked codes with Foxwell NT530 and no faults, airbag light goes out after I think 3 seconds after turning key on, I'm not sold yet until say a few weeks have past with out any airbag light on, fingers crossed all is good 

3 hours ago, mortzz said:

Ok picked up the part from Douglas valley this morning £48 ensuring it was for a manual and correct part number,  I would say the job Is not hard just tricky , I ensured I lined the front wheels up and marked the steering wheel and nut with a black line to get the wheel perfectly were it came off, didn't expect it to work but just been down the road and indicators turn off as they should do.. and will have to go another run to see if the steering wheel is 100% straight with the tyres,  checked codes with Foxwell NT530 and no faults, airbag light goes out after I think 3 seconds after turning key on, I'm not sold yet until say a few weeks have past with out any airbag light on, fingers crossed all is good 

Well done.

You just need to take your time as you say.

The indicators have nothing to do with the clock spring :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK so think I have same issue airbag light came on Friday night after turning left on roundabout cleared with my scanner but it came back on yesterday cleared again can you see the part number of clock spring without taking wheel off? Just removing airbag module? 

It's a 2.5 98 boxster so has 4spoke wheel

1 hour ago, Chukkieegg said:

Just swapped clock spring I think it's been changed before as everything was loose put replacement in airbag light now goes off and indicator cancelling now works again got replacement for £45 so we'll happy

The airbag clock spring and the indicator cancelling have nothing to do with each other,

Must be a pleasant coincidence :) 

16 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

The airbag clock spring and the indicator cancelling have nothing to do with each other,

Must be a pleasant coincidence :) 

Well well I removed the clock spring there was a broken piece of plastic on the surface of the swith mounting base where clock spring sits so maybe that was stopping the cancelling from engaging once replacement clock spring was fitted cancelling now working which ain't worked for about 12 months so defo a bonus 😂