That 911 itch….

R1HJK

I went from a 981 BGTS to a 991.2 GTS and after about 18 months back to another 981 BGTS!

The 911 ‘itch’ is it seems something a few of us experience at some time.  I always fancied a 911 but when the time came to get my first Porsche I decided on a Boxster GTS which I loved.  Two years later I decided to change to a 991.2 GTS thinking that would be my long term ‘keeper’, but after a great year in the car I once again longed for a Boxster.  The 911 was a truly great car and would be all many owners would ever want, but the problem for me was that it was too much of a GT car - I also wanted a convertible for nice weather and don’t like the looks of the 911 convertible.

My typical use of the car is for a drive out on nice days and the occasional holiday trip.  Jumping into the Boxster for a couple of hours is really enjoyable, great fun even at slower speeds on the right roads - the 911 felt heavier and although it handled very well it lacked the fun feeling at sensible speeds, to me it it only came alive on faster roads when pressing on into far higher speed than I was comfortable with.  On track I would think the 911 would please as much as a Boxster but I didn’t try it.   At 60 or so on my local roads it never felt alive in my hands like a Boxster can.

I find it hard to explain all the little things that contributed to my decision to return to a Boxster - but for me it was the right thing, and now after three years back in a 981 BGTS I know I have got my long term keeper.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

This is what I picked up from a few here; the newer the 911, the bigger and heavier (feeling) and thus the less fun on a B road blast. 

Nah! I have as much fun in my 911 than I ever did in the Boxster no matter what road.

I’d love a Boxster to run alongside it but I wouldn’t sell the 911 and go back to one! Personal choice, personal opinion 

7 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Nah! I have as much fun in my 911 than I ever did in the Boxster no matter what road.

I’d love a Boxster to run alongside it but I wouldn’t sell the 911 and go back to one! Personal choice, personal opinion 

Yeah but yours is a Turbo which is not your average 911 ;)

• Haha 1

I only ever purchased a Boxster as a stopgap car into a 911, my 987.1 has now sold and will be collected at the weekend so the search for a 911 starts then.

I have to admit that I am slightly nervous that the 911 won't feel as special as I want it to be though and I think the Boxster has now persuaded me to go for a 997 cabriolet. 

I have had 3 Boxsters S versions (986,987 and 981) before purchasing a 991.2 C4S as I always wanted a 911.

In my opinion the 911 was far superior in every way but so was the price and having had the 911 for 2 years through Covid it wasnt used as much as I wouldve liked.

It was the best car I have purchased and probably will ever purchase, best decision I ever made selling the car in July this year.

Think I will get a 986 S or 987 S as a second car in the future for weekend fun as they really are a bargain compared to owning a 911.

Itch scratched and came out relatively unscathed financially due to used car prices.

My first Porsche was a 911 997 and I now have my 981.

I moved backwards in a way but it was the right move given the way the car looks, handles and practicality.

If I ever got another 911 (it would have to be Turbo) I'd be keeping the 981. Hopefully my numbers will come in at the weekend on The Lottery 🙂

Edited by michelin

Yep, seems to be a common theme emerging here, and my experience is no different.

After two 987's, two 981 S and two 981 GTS's I finally bought a brand new 992 Carrera 4 coupe.

Great car, but as others have said, more of a GT than a sportscar.

I missed the open top aspect of the Boxster but wasn't keen on 911 cabriolets, the coupe shape is classic, like a coke bottle!

Anyway I wanted to try a 911 and glad I did so. I found it very fast on the road, but to get the same excitement levels of the Boxster it meant driving it way above the speed limit as it was just so easy. Felt a little big on the twisty roads that I drive on though, hated the PDK gear stick too!

The unexpected opportunity to buy a new 718 Spyder came up with the new flat six 4.0 litre engine and I swapped the 992 for it.

I love the Spyder with it's manual gearbox, perfect handling and aggressive stance. It's a brilliant engine and feels like driving a mini F1 car after the 911.

The wind in the hair capability just adds to the positive driving experience - yes the Boxster takes a bit of beating! 

• Like 1

They are indeed very different cars to drive, but that is only one variable in how you feel overall.

I had my 986 for 2 years, been in my 996 C4S for 6. If I moved on from this (which I have no desire to do) it would be into a soft top 911 as I need the rear seats for those with little feet, so all I really miss is having the roof down. However i'm not what you would call a Driver's Driver so what do I know about the finer aspects of handling and driving experience?

I would really miss the open top driving experience which I get with the Boxster. The 911 cab, like many have said, just doesn't work for me. I think a Targa would be too big/heavy even though they look great.

Probably like a lot of people, my circumstances have changed now. 95% of the time I'm at home and the Boxster has become a weekend car, had I been doing my usual commute into the office a 911 would have been more appealing. 

I would love a Spyder but I'm a big PDK fan, so would need wait a few years before they hit the market. Its really interesting to see how many people scratched the itch but came back to a Boxster. 

a mate at work has bought himself a 996 C4S, around the time i bought my 986. need to get out in it at some point, see what its all about. 

Sure an extra 100bhp would be nice, but then again, my boxster is soo much better with the roof down, i wouldnt want to lose that option. And like above, i'm not keen on the looks of a 911 convertible.

given my porsche is a weekend car, i think my ideal porsche would be a 987 3.4 boxster, rather than any 911.

Interesting to see these opinions, I had dallied with the idea of a 996 C4S or Turbo before getting the 981.  There are four 911 cabs within a few miles of me (one replaced a 718 BGTS) and they just look hunchback to me.

If I could afford it and get back to a house with a double garage I could see myself getting an older 911 coupe to keep the 981 company.  I find a ratty looking air-cooled model quite appealing, which is just as well as I'd never be able to afford a decent one.

I do remember going out in a friend's 930 very many years ago, I had a quite low-powered Westfield at the time - very excited to try it out but I do remember asking him why it was so slow.  It felt like a tank.

I had a 986 10 years ago, but sold it after 6 months due to finances.  5 years ago I had a 996 C2 cab but that got sold to buy a new house.  Now I have just bought another 986.

A 911 coupe of any age would be my dream car, mine was so much fun and had so much drama about it.  Nothing feels like a 911 to drive and I was quite surprised by how different it was to any high performance car I have owned in the past.  The Boxster is still the best handling car I have driven.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, RBD914 v2 said:

I love the Spyder

Mate, how are you getting on with a spyder in scotland?!? Does it not become a hassle to do the roof every time it rains? I've been running my 981S boxster in Scotland all week and have found so little opportunities to get the top down..I think the 718 Spyder is one of the best looking cars there is and really want one, but the roof impracticality in UK weather keeps putting me off..

A bit like several others on here I had a 986s which at 6ft 2" I sat on rather than in but I really liked it and kept it for 3 years. I then got a bad case of 911itis and started looking at 996 C4S'S  and found a high mileage black on black one which was in superb condition, which I traded the 986 for. I kept that car for 8 years and to be honest I regret selling it as it was a stunning looking car, drove extremely well (apart from the tyre roar which on some surfaces was horrendous) and in the time of my ownership cost me nothing to run and appreciated a little in value. I started to worry however that a big bill bill was on the horizon and I found myself drawn to the shape of the Jaguar XKR and before I knew what hit me, a dealer convinced me to part ex the C4S for a 2010 5litre XKR with 510hp. At first I thought I had gone to heaven with the serenity and incredible performance, but it was short lived, as frankly it was just too fast and in the damp pretty scary. I also became aware of the meaning of depreciation and decided that maybe a 5 litre V8 with a supercharger was a bit of an enigma in the new green era and sold it on at a modest loss much to my relief. At this point just before covid I decided lets be sensible and sit tight on the money, which lasted almost a week when I decided I needed a 981S. As luck would have it a GT silver, red roof, low miles beauty came up and I bought it the next day for a good price and just got it home before lockdown. I think this car is near perfect for me as for a start I fit in it, it looks fabulous, the roof comes down, its fast enough and now I have proper paddles and PSE it can be driven gently or like a wannabe race driver which suits me fine. The other comfort factor is I have had to check out the meaning of "appreciation" as the value of the car has gone stratospheric, with even WBAC offering mad money should I want to sell, which is unlikely given the renewed extended warranty, new tyres, PSE  and sports steering wheel I now have, however if it carries on appreciating maybe that Ferrari 360 isn't the pipe dream (or nightmare) after all. 

My final comment on the 911 or box is they are both great cars and a good one of either is a great choice, although as an engineer I would agree with whoever said "the 911 is a triumph of engineering over physics!" with its frankly mad engine location.

8 hours ago, Tarun said:

Mate, how are you getting on with a spyder in scotland?!? Does it not become a hassle to do the roof every time it rains? I've been running my 981S boxster in Scotland all week and have found so little opportunities to get the top down..I think the 718 Spyder is one of the best looking cars there is and really want one, but the roof impracticality in UK weather keeps putting me off..

I'm getting on just fine with the Spyder in Scotland thanks.

I understand your concerns about the roof, but as the Spyder is my weekend and fair weather car, I don't find it a problem. It is usually down most of the time! Also I don't run my Porsches through the Winter months, so again I don't have to cope with cold, wet or snowy weather. I just use the Jag!

The roof is no more impractical than the electric version, as it is warm and dry once up, and hidden from view when down. The only drawback is that you have to stop the car and spend a few minutes to put it up or down - that may make it inconvenient at times, but does that make it impractical? That depends on your viewpoint I suppose, and perhaps how often you need to drive in bad weather. There are some car convertible roofs that are far worse, Lamborghini for example 

If it was my daily driver, or my only all year round car then no, i would stick with a 981 or 718 GTS for the electric roof convenience.

For me it works fine, but I also understand it's not for everyone - that's what makes it so unique!

Edited by RBD914 v2
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, moospeed said:

I find a ratty looking air-cooled model quite appealing,

Have had one that meets this description for ages. It’s characterful to say the least - as @K.I.T.T. would probably confirm.

Definitely not a car for the purist with a few tweaks - it goes well, stops hard and handles nicely albeit the extra power means that anything over 6/10ths driving needs proper concentration.

All that said they are often a better aspiration than reality - especially corrosion - I got lucky with mine.

Heresey Incoming: I’d keep the heavily used Boxster over the 1982 911 Hotrod.

Reckon @RBD914 has pretty much sorted the ideal modern garage setup.

Edited by map

8 hours ago, map said:

Have had one that meets this description for ages. It’s characterful to say the least - as @K.I.T.T. would probably confirm.

Definitely not a car for the purist with a few tweaks - it goes well, stops hard and handles nicely albeit the extra power means that anything over 6/10ths driving needs proper concentration.

All that said they are often a better aspiration than reality - especially corrosion - I got lucky with mine.

Heresey Incoming: I’d keep the heavily used Boxster over the 1982 911 Hotrod.

Reckon @RBD914 has pretty much sorted the ideal modern garage setup.

Yeah, I was speaking with Jon of Jon Seal Sports Cars about his light blue restomod - at the time we were also discussing and comparing against Elise reliability.  He had similar comments about the aspiration vs reality.