Boxster 718 4.0 PDK GTS

martyn

1 hour ago, ptrs said:

I just ordered one with delivery q1 2023 

Seen a couple up for sale on approved used, 2 manual and one pdk

Just taken a look at the three on the approved use site: the one with delivery miles is up for £89k!! Looks like they’re charging a premium over list as I can’t see the options adding up to almost £20k.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, jhemus said:

Just taken a look at the three on the approved use site: the one with delivery miles is up for £89k!! Looks like they’re charging a premium over list as I can’t see the options adding up to almost £20k.

Yep seems like it!

Even if I was in the market for "right now" I wouldn't go with that blue.. looks like someone abandoned order. Hard sell for me at colour and price markup

On 10/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, jhemus said:

Even worse it seems to have PASM speced.... Im quite sure that cancels out the actual GTS suspension setup so why would you do that it's bizarre

Edited by ptrs

• 4 weeks later...

Having done 10,500 miles in GTS4.0 with the proper -20mm suspension I can only say that the softer -10mm would be a huge mistake. 
The ride quality with the -20mm is uncannily good. It’s hard to believe than a car that can corner so flatly can ride so well with no harshness. 
The -10mm option will lose so much of the poise and precision that makes these cars so good. I’m sure they only have it as an option to please Americans. 

when speccing your car don’t do it. You’ll regret it. 

• Thanks 1

To be fair a few will have specified it because it was not very clear what it was in the online options.

So much so that had ticked the option thinking I was getting the"X73" rather than the PASM.  

Whilst running through the spec in the showroom, I sent the salesman off to double check....it wasn't the last time I had to send him off to check stuff (mostly to prove he didn't know what he was talking about😁)

18 hours ago, Willemite said:

Having done 10,500 miles in GTS4.0 with the proper -20mm suspension I can only say that the softer -10mm would be a huge mistake. 
The ride quality with the -20mm is uncannily good. It’s hard to believe than a car that can corner so flatly can ride so well with no harshness. 
The -10mm option will lose so much of the poise and precision that makes these cars so good. I’m sure they only have it as an option to please Americans. 

when speccing your car don’t do it. You’ll regret it. 

Interesting. As it stands, I’ve specified -10 on the basis that x73 is definitively too hard for me and I don’t want to end up with a car that gives me back ache (I’ve done that before). It’s going to be a tough call.

5 hours ago, jhemus said:

Interesting. As it stands, I’ve specified -10 on the basis that x73 is definitively too hard for me and I don’t want to end up with a car that gives me back ache (I’ve done that before). It’s going to be a tough call.

X73 is passive suspension and a world away from current adaptive suspension. 
the -20mm is not at all hard or harsh. There’s no way you’d get back ache from it. 
Just try it, you’ll be amazed at how good it is. 

• Like 1

Good evening all, 

first an apology it has been a long (too long) time since I visited BoXa.net as had some great advice and support when I originally purchased my 987 and then the 981S.

Been pondering for a while as I could not bring myself to part wih my manual 981S, but just placed deposit in a new GTS on Saturday when I popped into my local OPC. Apparently they had literally just taken a call on a cancellation for one.   Despite the fact its a cancellation, proposed delivery is March 23 so heaven only knows what the full lead time is!

Current prospective spec is http://www.porsche-code.com/PNX9PDL5

Controversialy for some tempted to go PDK even after loving my manual 981 S.  I know spec is largely a personal thing but any things I should be considering in relation to its desirability on the day it will unfortuantely leave my hands in the future?  The GTS interior made me wince at the cost but not sure if its expected on GTS for resale.

Sorry for the many questions and know I have a lifetime to wait but need to think about the future of my 981S manual, in Agate with two tone Agate and Cream leather seats, 20" wheels, which is immaculate with full OPC service history and only 22k miles.  Any ideas on right time to sell especially with the market being the way it is at the moment?

I’m still very interested in a PDK 4.0, will probably be the last time to spec the last NA Boxster! 

Would be interesting to see who’s come from a 981 and see if they think the premium is worth it? My 981 is probably a £35k car all day long and my ideal spec is close to £80k 

I was in the same position. My 981 is a very low mileage example in like new condition and I’m also looking at a large premium to change. Is it worth it? In reality definitely not, but these things are seldom ruled by your head.  It will be as you say the last chance.  I think the back orders will very quickly outstrip availability before it ceases altogether in a couple of years.

Edited by daviddurham

I originally put a deposit down on a 718 Boxster 4.0. however I had the opportunity to view one similar to the spec I had paid a deposit on.

I parked my 981s side by side; was it worth the extra 45K + 2k tax to upgrade?

In my opinion, sadly not!

The interior, was as my 2012 Boxster, that definitely needs an update!

The exterior, although there are areas where it has obvious visual tweaks, again IMHO does not justify +45k.

Ok, it's 4.0 not 3.4, still not enough to justify +45k.

Then I saw the Emira 😃, +45k all day long.

But that's just my opinion.

Edited by mneil
text

I'm looking for 10mm PASM from a practical point of view. Access to my drive is steep, so I'm concerned about scraping and I live in a rural area where the roads are beautifully scenic and empty, but can be a bit rough. 

If I've read the info correctly (no guarantee that I have,  because I don't believe it's terribly clear and it is a bit scant) that extra 10mm may make the difference between me getting the car up the drive cleanly.

I can't imagine for day to day driving that extra 10mm on the drive height is going to make that much difference on the handling. 

As it happens, my dealership has just taken possession of a demo, so I'm getting that on Saturday....hopefully that'll give me a better indication if the standard set up will be fine.

In other news, as things currently stand I've had tentative confirmation of a build date for Feb 2022, with delivery in March, so I'm going in on Monday to finalise the spec. 

If anyone has driven both the 10mm and 20mm and can offer some insight I'd really welcome it.

I honestly think you would have to be a road tester to tell the difference in a ride height of 1cm.

I have ordered mine with the  standard -20mm mostly bescause I thnk it looks slightly better but I wouldn't hestitate to get the -10mm if like you my access was comprimised etc etc.

I drove a -20mm car at the PEC and it was awesome.

27 minutes ago, daviddurham said:

I have ordered mine standard too. @TheUnderfiend out of interest how long have you been on the allocation list?

I put the deposit down in June this year. I had an original build date of October but that was pulled by Porsche.

I missed out on a cancellation in July because I wanted to make sure I could get the car up the drive with no bother and was waiting for the demo to show up.

3 minutes ago, TheUnderfiend said:

I put the deposit down in June this year. I had an original build date of October but that was pulled by Porsche.

I missed out on a cancellation in July because I wanted to make sure I could get the car up the drive with no bother and was waiting for the demo to show up.

You have done well, I placed my deposit at the begining of June and was originally told my car would come in Jan 22, have heard nothing to the contrary from the dealer since but the internet is full of stories of long delays. A chap on PH posted this week that his car has just been allocated for Jan 22 and he placed his order exactly a year before.

I suspect I may get mine a bit quicker than other parts of the UK just because there's going to be less demand in Northern Ireland. I was told by the dealer this week they have been given an allocation for just 1 Boxster for the remainder of this year and I've got it.

2 hours ago, TheUnderfiend said:

I suspect I may get mine a bit quicker than other parts of the UK just because there's going to be less demand in Northern Ireland. I was told by the dealer this week they have been given an allocation for just 1 Boxster for the remainder of this year and I've got it.

You really have done well.  My deposit went down last week on a cancelled order they just had 2hrs previous. No idea when the original order went in but the projected delivery date is March 23!

To an extent I accepted the date as the norm currently but it does mean I have a year of constantly changing mind on spec.  The main ones being colour and interior, where unfortunately I like reading and valuing opinions (some) before making my mind up. Rest Of spec I am pretty much happy with my choices.
 So if anyone has any pearls of wisdom on what is I know ultimately a personal choice but one that also affects how the car is viewed on colour and interior then happy to hear them? - let’s face it we like our cars to be admired too! 

38 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Shark blue, seats with black sides and pebble centre panels to lighten the interior, blue seat belts…

…just an idea…

Good choice thanks, its similar to something I was looking at. Shark Blue with black and crayon seats.  Your suggestion is definitely worth some serious though. Configuration does not seem to want to play with seat centre options.   What’s your thought on GTS interior?