Engine mount, transmission mounts, clutch? what's doing this!?

joeluth

Trying to identify an issue here, perhaps someone has experienced this one,
Occasionally when pulling away swiftly in 1st gear from a standstill I put my foot on the clutch and shift to 2nd but it doesn't happily let go. 

for lack of a better word it feels like it catches and I hear a bit of a knock, it still shifts but there's some resistance there,  and it's only occasionally when I give it the beans,   if I'm gentle with it it's all nice and smooth.

No other issues with shifting through any gears, it's all silky smooth,  so I thought maybe it's being caused by worn out engine or transmission mounts under strain from the initial "lift off" perhaps?    or is my clutch starting to go?       I have no record of any of the above being replaced so assuming all are original. 

any thought most appreciated! 

Yeah!   seems it was the front mount, here's some pics of the old one, it wasnt exactly destroyed or falling to bits but as you can see it's split through, so it must have been quite weak at this point.

Just popped a new one in this afternoon and went for a quick drive and noticed an improvement, felt more solid changing through the gears, hardly any unwanted movement in the shifter either.

Didn't have time to warm the car up and have a proper go,  so will report back but fingers crossed it's solved!

KrqCFZs.jpgB47oBbK.jpgkhTZihN.jpgJplvyoV.jpg

3 minutes ago, edc said:

I've seen worse! Do you go for the updated 987 mount with side rubbers? 

ah well, I'm not so sure,   I just bought a complete one from Design911 that said it was for 986/987.

By side rubbers are you reffering to the stops that sit between the carrier and the bracket?      I re-used the existing ones if so.

On 9/28/2021 at 10:43 AM, edc said:

Yes the egg shaped with a hole rubbers. I can't remember now if the 987 bush or bracket is different. 

The bracket looked identical to me, the bush looks different, the new one on the right looks like a ghost face! 

004_986_motor_mount1445966219.jpg

and the rubbers are these things - 9A137525701 - it appears the 987 ones are thicker with the addition of a foam layer.

s-l400.jpg

They didn't come with the new bracket,  I just re-used the original 986 ones, that look like this,

s-l1600.png

they sat suprisingly tight so I think they will do,

I'll keen an eye on them, if they slip into a position and don't do their job then I'll have to replace them with the new ones.

Going to do the water pump and thermostat soon so will be  easy to remove the mount again if I need to. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 1:02 PM, Ol' Shatterhand said:

Don't mind me folks. My previous post was by accident while researching clutch pedal issues. Mine's gone weird at the top of travel and is affecting the brake pedal as well, so it's either the brake fluid or the pedal linkage. 

I have exactly the same thing, did you sort it?

• 1 month later...

I haven't had the chance to drive the car in the last 3 months as I am out of the country on business, but it went in for scheduled maintenance today and apart from replacing the brake fluid, they found that my transmission mounts have perished and my shifter cables are worn and loose on the gearbox connection. Don't know which of these three things on its own would solve this particular problem, but I hope that once all the repairs are done I won't be noticing anything odd through the pedals.

Funny, I've been waiting for the engine mount to perish since I bought the car 6 years ago at 93k miles, it's now at 136k and have had to replace everything, but everything, except the front mount.

If you're doing the gearbox mounts and shifter cables I'd do the engine mount too. Don't wait till its gone later. 

Turns out the front mount also had to be replaced, at last. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get behind the wheel again, but I am looking forward to a transformed driving experience and hoping to report the weird brake/clutch pedal issue is gone and the gears engage smoothly and accurately every time. Can't wait... 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand
Typo

• 2 months later...

Even with new brake fluid, new engine and gearbox mounts, and new gearshift cables (my linkages were broken, which is why I was still having trouble getting into gear even after my shifter upgrade and alignment), I was still having clutch pedal problems. The pedal had also started clicking and popping up in the last couple of inches at the top of travel. The fix turned out to be the replacement of the helper spring. It now feels reasonably light and I can feel the bite point, which is reassuringly nowhere near the top of travel. 

• Like 1