UPDATED: How to replace halogen headlights with Twenty20 LED lights in Porsche 987

Hainesy

...for offroad use only obviously.

I bought some of these: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-twenty20-projector-led-headlight-bulbs-pair.html from ABD for £70 and couldn't find a guide to confirm which way up was the correct way to run them to get the correct beam pattern.  As it's a bit of a faff to remove / reinstall the headlight unit I thought I'd throw this up in case it's of use to anyone else:

485574922_IMG_0257(1).jpeg.d405587971a4468da7a7e8218f57f40f.jpeg

1. Wrong way up (although logically I assumed LEDs facing down would make sense) - headlight unit is sat on the table the right way up.

1030167461_IMG_0256(1).jpeg.7cd382c464e80b0486ba25eb076c482a.jpeg

2. Right way up

663512973_IMG_0258(1).jpeg.9952a95534b5167e4a04493139d5b770.jpeg

3. Installed, note there's plenty of room for the fan unit on the back of the 'bulb' and plenty of room to tuck the driver away. Connect the Brown to +ve and Yellow to -ve.

1236068144_IMG_0255(1).jpeg.62788d2f968a873652ca40735111ee79.jpeg

4. Original Halogen beam pattern, I taped markers on the garage door.

1676961543_IMG_0254(1).jpeg.394f50e807f1c58d2f136feb3c7a1c37.jpeg

5. L/hand LED installed wrong way up. Beam throw is far too high.

IMG_0251 (1).jpeg

6. Both LEDs installed correctly good match to the original pattern (as far as I can tell).  Note the elegant way it illuminates the weeds on the drive.

820863603_IMG_0260(1).jpeg.20947446857b1ac96f4e6d41a14a4c43.jpeg

7. 6000k 'white' light, with matching sidelights installed.  Very pleased with results.  Behind the projector lenses there's no way to tell they're installed.

All working with no CANBUS errors, time will tell how durable they are - not sure about relying on a small fan to keep them cool and not failing under vibrations of driving but we'll see I guess.

EDIT: In lower temperatures these began flickering. I added a set of Philips CanBUS control units (essentially resistors) and they have been working perfectly ever since. There is enough room in the back of the headlight unit to fit all the gubbins without modification.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5PN1LH?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Total cost for LEDs and resistor kit was >£100 and we’ll worth it in my view.

Has been running fine for 4mths+ now and the car passed its MOT with them fitted.

Edited by Hainesy
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this @Hainesy, I used your instructions today. It became obvious why the LEDs point have to point “upwards” in your pictures, as the headlight assembly is upside down at this point :)

It was quite crowded in the back of the light by the time there was the LED driver and the Philips CANBUS adaptor connected up, but it all went in in the end.

9 hours ago, BBB said:

Thanks for this @Hainesy, I used your instructions today. It became obvious why the LEDs point have to point “upwards” in your pictures, as the headlight assembly is upside down at this point :)

It was quite crowded in the back of the light by the time there was the LED driver and the Philips CANBUS adaptor connected up, but it all went in in the end.

Hi glad this was useful but to be clear the headlight unit was sat the right way up on the table in the photos - the led covered part of the unit should point upward in the fitting!

Edited by Hainesy

• Hainesy changed the title to UPDATED: How to replace halogen headlights with Twenty20 LED lights in Porsche 987
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, fewtrees said:

..4 MONTHS LATER..

How are these doing for longevity? and what's your opinion of them now?

Really pleased with them - they've been rock solid ever since I put the Canbus adapters in.  The whiter light is a) much better at night and b) really modernises the look of the car (when combined with white LED fog and side lights).  I also did the DRL hack (just popping a 10p fuse in the light selector switch).  

I still haven't been flashed by any other drivers - so assume the pattern is fine, and it passed MOT without issue.

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Fitted Twenty20s to my 2018 Transit Connect work van to update the horribly yellow originals about 8 months ago and so far so good. I replaced 8 bulbs including the foglight bulbs at a fairly eye watering £286, but they are excellent and the beam pattern is spot on. Not sure why they aren't technically road legal though?

• 5 months later...

I have had the same flickering in the cold with the latest Novsight H7. Now changed to Philips Ultinon Pro 9100 and no flickering. On canbus adapter needed either BUT they are not as bright as the Novsight.

The Novsights on high beam are superb and don’t flicker. 

Fwiw I originally bought a set of Novsight from Amazon and returned them as soon as they arrived as it was clear from the packaging they were fake.  
Have you taken your car through an MOT with LEDs in the high beams? I shied away from this as they’re exposed in the housing so assumed it would be more likely they’d be picked up and failed. 

Did you fit the extra bits like Cannes inside the headlight unit or extend outside the case? I mounted on the outside as I think they get hot with the HID versions but it was more work and a reasonable size hole in the cover to do this.