Cayman 981 GT4 purchase

Adamsky

Hello all, 

Havent been on here in a while as sold my Boxster over a year ago :(. Also not sure if its worth me asking anyone on here if they have a 981 GT4.. however here goes. 

I am now back in the position after purchasing another house that i am looking at buying a GT4. Been looking at these ever since i sold my Boxster as want something a little bit 'special' it will rarely get used as in summer time i have a choice of 2 Ducati's to take out but on the odd chance i go out in the car i want it to feel special. 

I have seen so many write ups on the GT4 and wanted to ask what i should look for when buying. Ideally id like the Clubsport pack with Sport Chrono and xenon headlights oh and i have got my heart set on yellow.

Is there anything i should be looking for i.e Bose or any additional features?

Thanks guys

48 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

I've looked at a couple of these now and I'm surprised how many don't have climate. Just the basic hot/cold and fan speed

oh thats pretty naff... thought that was standard. damn :(

I like the gt4 but I'd be tempted by a Spyder for that special occasion road car.

I think they are generally reliable I guess you want one that hasn't spent most of its miles on track, watch out for worn ceramics and stress fractures on the strut towers from hitting the kerbs.

47 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I like the gt4 but I'd be tempted by a Spyder for that special occasion road car.

I think they are generally reliable I guess you want one that hasn't spent most of its miles on track, watch out for worn ceramics and stress fractures on the strut towers from hitting the kerbs.

Thanks Daz. I’ve had my heart set on the gt4 from when it was announced and I’ve had a boxster (granted it wasn’t the spyder).

is there anyway to check for the fractures or do I need to have it on a ramp? 
cheers

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Easy to spot on yellow ones Adamsky 😏

MVbPmAu.jpg

Holy cr*p! Right I will be checking this! Haha thanks

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Easy to spot on yellow ones Adamsky 😏

MVbPmAu.jpg

How the hell can that happen 

That area is cast aluminium and all 981's share the same aluminium and steel composite body so its not just GT4's that will push the strut through the bonnet in a accident. Its just that a couple of GT4 (and 3's) have done it on track after clobbering a kerb, probably due to the stiffer suspension set up.

I’ve owned a 981 GT4, there weren’t that many options to have on them. I don’t recall Bose being an option. 
It’s a great car to drive and sounds brilliant. Power delivery isn’t linear but goes pretty well. It will make for a special drive 

Happy to answer questions you may have. 

must haves, in my view - club sport, buckets, sports chrono - these all preserve value too,

nice to haves - pccbs, dash upgrade and upgraded lights 

note there was a gearbox recall on some cars - 2016 production if I recall correctly, which should have been dealt with. 

1 hour ago, tcornet said:

I’ve owned a 981 GT4, there weren’t that many options to have on them. I don’t recall Bose being an option. 
It’s a great car to drive and sounds brilliant. Power delivery isn’t linear but goes pretty well. It will make for a special drive 

Happy to answer questions you may have. 

must haves, in my view - club sport, buckets, sports chrono - these all preserve value too,

nice to haves - pccbs, dash upgrade and upgraded lights 

note there was a gearbox recall on some cars - 2016 production if I recall correctly, which should have been dealt with. 

Hi mate thanks for this.

so I was going to query the PCCB’s as the car will be 5/6 years old. Is this something that I need to worry about changing? Not to keen on forming out a tonne for breaks.

the upgraded lights are they the xenon ones? 

58 minutes ago, Adamsky said:

Hi mate thanks for this.

so I was going to query the PCCB’s as the car will be 5/6 years old. Is this something that I need to worry about changing? Not to keen on forming out a tonne for breaks.

the upgraded lights are they the xenon ones? 

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Porsche/Cayman/Porsche_US Cayman-GT4_2015-2.pdf
https://www.auto-brochures.com/porsche.html

that should advise on options etc. Light upgrade is the same as the rest of the 981 range and directional, so yes xenon. 

in terms of brakes, depends on how they’ve been treated and how you will treat them. Mileage also comes into it. I’d say get whatever you buy checked out for those expensive wear items, there are 3rd party options also. 
all 3 of my gt4 have had them with no issue of wear etc and I track my cars regularly, the are noisier but give confidence. As usual a personal choice and if you are not tracking it then steels are more than adequate as they were over specd by Porsche also 

Edited by tcornet