No warm air

Slinger

Hi there, this is what you need, I did this a few weeks ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-INTERIOR-AIR-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-996-653-241-01-JJ-/284211910966?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I wouldn’t normally buy a used sensor, but a new one is bloody expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, RalphyBMW said:

Hi there, this is what you need, I did this a few weeks ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-INTERIOR-AIR-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-996-653-241-01-JJ-/284211910966?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I wouldn’t normally buy a used sensor, but a new one is bloody expensive!

Thankyou.

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

Excellent result!

Just wish new ones were cheaper, used sensors do scare me a bit

Why so?  There are thousands out there working just fine at 20+ years old and we hear of only a handful of failures.  Take a MAF, £30 ish from a breaker, £150 from Porsche new.  You can get through 5 if you are very unlucky before you've paid for just one new one.  They are not mechanical parts that wear, they work or they don't, although the MAF in the induction airflow may be a bad example to chose...

On 10/12/2021 at 11:14 PM, ½cwt said:

Why so?  There are thousands out there working just fine at 20+ years old and we hear of only a handful of failures.  Take a MAF, £30 ish from a breaker, £150 from Porsche new.  You can get through 5 if you are very unlucky before you've paid for just one new one.  They are not mechanical parts that wear, they work or they don't, although the MAF in the induction airflow may be a bad example to chose...

Just because when they fail, that’s it, done.

So get a new one and you should have longer before you need to mess with it again.

I bought a used one, but felt less comfortable buying a used sensor than I would someone more mechanical or inert, like say a gear knob or a seat.

A cabin heat sensor isn't what I'd class as a critical part. Unknown sources for say a lambda sensor etc I'd not consider using. 

5 hours ago, edc said:

A cabin heat sensor isn't what I'd class as a critical part. Unknown sources for say a lambda sensor etc I'd not consider using. 

Totally agree.  The life that a lambda goes through it is a minor miracle to get out in tact anyway.  Easy to change or non critical sensors I would look at used original equipment depending on the cost of a genuine or OEM replacement, particularly if you are running on a tighter budget which a fair number of 986 owners are.  Don't exclude to possibility of used parts, in my case the failed MAF at £30 for a used one 2 years ago (that is still going fine), the £120 saved came in handy when paying for the very necessary suspension refresh last year.

• Like 1