spare key

nickhunn

Full function (remote lock unlock, boot etc) along with immobiliser (can start the car) etc is likely going cost you 350 ish.  from a Porsche dealer or a select few Indy’s who might be able to do it 50 quid cheaper.  

You don’t have a ton of choices of you have nothing to “build” on.  

oh. And welcome to the forum.  

My car came with only one key, it was the original full function with the buttons.  I visited my local Porsche dealer and almost needed oxygen after hearing the price for another full function key.  BUT, the guy in the parts department sensing my shock, mentioned a cheaper alternative.  There is a basic key that does not have the remote buttons.  It will open the doors via the key hole in the doors and start the car.  I do have to open the drivers door to access the release levers for the frunk and boot when I use this key and I also have to manually lock the door from the outside keyhole.

The Part numbers are 996-637-041-01 for the body and 996-538-531-00 for the Blank.  The dealer had to special order them as they came precut based on my cars VIN.  The dealer also had to program them to the car.  All totaled it cost me $250. USD for two of these basic keys.

I've been using them for 3 years now.

I had a new key for £250 from porsche Newcastle.

While I'm here, has anyone tried this:

- valet/second key in the ignition to start the car.

- main key, remote lock the car while it's still running

So essentially you've got a locked car that is running, I'm thinking for deicing purposes etc.

Is that a thing that would work? 🤷🏼‍♂️

For what it’s worth.  I paid nearly 300 for a replacement key for a Vauxhall and about the same for a Toyota 10 years ago. 

what manufacturers can you get full function remote keys for much less ? 

1 minute ago, SuperPaulie said:

I had a new key for £250 from porsche Newcastle.

While I'm here, has anyone tried this:

- valet/second key in the ignition to start the car.

- main key, remote lock the car while it's still running

So essentially you've got a locked car that is running, I'm thinking for deicing purposes etc.

Is that a thing that would work? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not tried it but I think if car running then it will ignore remote buttons.  Certainly you can’t open boot(s) from the ignition key when the engine is running.  

Surely if you only have one key, then £360 or whatever from Porsche is not very much money to de-risk losing the only one you have.  If you think about it these are high security devices that are programmed to each car and made to order for up to 25 year old Boxsters.  Look at it another way how much will it cost to lose a key in the middle of nowhere and have to get a locked car recovered to an OPC to then get a new key sent in 2 - 3 weeks later to get it all reprogrammed?  If you only want a plain key with no functions for emergencies/backup, get a blade cut from you original by a locksmith and an after market plastic head for it from eBay or similar.  Won't cost you much more than £35 I'd imagine.

2 hours ago, Elmer Fudd said:

I paid £253.84p in July for a new key blade and head, and £78 to have it coded inc VAT, at Porsche Norwich.

2 hours ago, Bferry70 said:

Earlier this year I paid £282 for new key head + blade and for it to be programmed by my Indy. 

Did both of these include the immobiliser chip in the key or were they repairs or replacement of the electronics?  Just replacing the electronics in the key and a new key head transfering the old blade and immobiliser chip cost me £260 at an OPC 2 years ago.  A complete new key will be somewhat more I believe.

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Did both of these include the immobiliser chip in the key or were they repairs or replacement of the electronics?  Just replacing the electronics in the key and a new key head transfering the old blade and immobiliser chip cost me £260 at an OPC 2 years ago.  A complete new key will be somewhat more I believe.

Mine was a Complete new key including everything the original one does

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Hi - mine was a complete new key, coded to the car. It operates in exactly the same way as the original. I never felt comfortable having just the one key, for exactly the reasons you mentioned in your earlier post. Worth the money IMO.

49 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

At £280 - £350 then damned good value in my book.

Yeah, I thought it wasn't too bad at £282. It was actually £235 + £47 VAT. He was even good enough to put a new key shell on for me, which I sourced from my OPC.

15 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I had a quote of £250 + VAT for a Ford key last year if that makes anyone feel better 😁

^^^ this *^^

i doesn’t seem the Porsche replacement cost is much different to any car that has an immobiliser, alarm and remote central locking 

few generations ago Ford had the “red key”. That had to be used to code any other key.  If you lost that one it was a new ecu if you ever needed to code another key.  

Just my experience that maybe worth considering….

I paid £257 for just the head & electronic gubbins, including programming (oh, and a free car wash 😂) direct from an OPC. 

They wanted a silly amount extra for the blade, can’t remember exactly how much, seem to recall it was about £80. Got one from eBay cut using a photo of the original, cost about a tenner 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, SimonT001 said:

My indie (D&G) suggested these guys if you just want the blade https://www.keysinthepost.com/product/porsche-car-key-2002-transponder-chip/

I have also been referred to this supplier.  Having bought the cut key, what would it cost to have it programmed to the car?  I have two keys but one seems to have lost its link to the immobiliser..it does everything else upto and including lighting up all the dashboard lights.  Q  Can this be repaired/reprogrammed?  Spug