What roadtrip essentials required? - 987.2 S BE

hopz121

Not Scotland specific - but my normal "away kit" is:

some oil, some de-ionised water, a battery - boost pack, decent battery powered compressor, (sounds silly, spare tyre valve cores and a little tool to replace them - I have been sidelined by a stuck 50p valve core). 

Blankets in case you end up stuck somewhere......

And an decent recovery service.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hopz121 said:

If the weather looks bad I won’t bother taking it, it will be on OEM Bridgestone tyres. 

Mine was unexpectedly squirrely a couple of times on roundabouts down in the South Midlands today...  Scotland???

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Mine was unexpectedly squirrely a couple of times on roundabouts down in the South Midlands today...  Scotland???

Ill see what happens with the weather, I was out in my E46 M3 last weekend in the poor weather on a hoon and it very slippery until it started to dry up. The logic is that being midengined it should have more grip than my E46 M3 :) 

13 hours ago, hopz121 said:

That’s a valid point, also some octane booster as some of the small places don’t sell premium unleaded. 

It won't hurt to run the car on 95 RON E10. It will simple revert to a slightly lower map. I have run my Cayman on track (so 200 miles at 5k RPM plus) on 95 RON and it has been perfectly fine.

Obviously my preference is always for 99 but if you can't get it, it really isn't going to matter or make any difference that you can actually feel.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, Paul P said:

Not Scotland specific - but my normal "away kit" is:

some oil, some de-ionised water, a battery - boost pack, decent battery powered compressor, (sounds silly, spare tyre valve cores and a little tool to replace them - I have been sidelined by a stuck 50p valve core). 

Blankets in case you end up stuck somewhere......

And an decent recovery service.

👍 All of the above, plus a couple of hi-vis vests was my 'away kit' when I drove my 987.1 Box S to Greece and back a couple of months ago...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

It won't hurt to run the car on 95 RON E10. It will simple revert to a slightly lower map. I have run my Cayman on track (so 200 miles at 5k RPM plus) on 95 RON and it has been perfectly fine.

Obviously my preference is always for 99 but if you can't get it, it really isn't going to matter or make any difference that you can actually feel.

I only stick premium unleaded in all my cars to be honest, ideally Esso Supreme if not V Power or Momentum.

Its a personal thing but I wouldn't use 95 anytime and if i had no choice i'd always use an octane booster like i did in the highlands a few years ago.   

4 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

My 987-2 S is perfectly happy with 95 octane.

Yes, but it will have detuned itself to allow for the lower knock resistance of 95 by around 5%.  Why pay for 320PS and accept 300 and the corresponding loss of torque???

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Yes, but it will have detuned itself to allow for the lower knock resistance of 95 by around 5%.  Why pay for 320PS and accept 300 and the corresponding loss of torque???

You're not going to need a fraction of the performance on Scottish roads.😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

You're not going to need a fraction of the performance on Scottish roads.😁

Don't know, that extra torque might come in handy for the more marginal passing opportunities. 😉

On 10/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, Desiro said:

A good route planner like this one https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Use the 14 day trial to get all the features for free and then automatically drop back to basic, which is free.

Oh! and a snow shovel

https://www.bestbikingroads.com Has more content and is free!