986 aging so well.

Sausage

I had a 2008 3.4 S for a while, when I was an active member on here, then moved onto other Porsches. I just came back to say this:

That in my opinion the early 986s that are well looked after (I know a few through TIPEC E. Mids -Leon you know I mean you if you are on here), that they are aging really really nicely. Good ones look fabulous, just in the same way that old 911s have stacks of character the 986 looks better now than ever before.  

That is it, just wanted to say hi to those that are lucky enough to own them.

• Like 4

Us 986 owners have known this for a while. I've stayed with a 986 for almost 10 years now. A great modern classic. 

8 hours ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

I feel you brother

i have a 996 911 because it was the cheapest 911 I could afford.

i have a 986 because I love the form factor, having a covertible, i can heat induction roar from the left rear.

Great cars. Much love

I have a 986 because it was the only one I could afford, but haven't regretted buying in the 3 years I've had it.  Good sports car and a touring  convertible all in one.  I only owned one other car longer than I've had this one.  Can't see it going any time soon.  I keep doing little or big bits to improve it as necessary or as budget allows but keep it near to standard. 

• Like 1

I was in a supermarket car park the other day, looking at a 996.2 Targa. The owner came up and said I could buy it if I wanted to. I said no thanks, I've got a 986 Boxster. He just didn't understand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:01 PM, Bike Loon said:

I loved my 986S but i hated the fact the interior is straight out the 1980s and very clumpy, I massively preferred everything about my 2 x 987S... especially the interior ;)

Each to their own :D

Interesting perspective on the interior, I see it as very classic with no straight lines, all curves and leather everywhere (admittedly it has the full leather package) and a very good place to sit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Interesting perspective on the interior, I see it as very classic with no straight lines, all curves and leather everywhere (admittedly it has the full leather package) and a very good place to sit.

When the 987 was launched it of course looked more modern. But like you I think in old age the 986 looks much better. 

• 1 month later...

I think they are ageing really well and the Arctic Silver with red interior looks stunning IMO. My previous Porsche was a 911 3.2 Carrera which was in mint condition and always turned heads. However now I have the Boxster it’s a much nicer place to be and although the 911 had the classic looks especially with the Whale Tail, the 986 Boxster is beautifully styled and will I’m sure look even better in 10 years time.

I think in time the original wheels of a less fussy cleaner design will be more fitting. Undoubtedly those wheels look quite cool but I think they are a little over fussy compared to the very clean and simple design of the 986. On a more bulging and wing'd 993 or 964 they fit very well. 

Not just ageing well, mine has developed some intelligence and decided to fix itself.  I had the common issue with the indicator that wouldn’t stay on if turning right.  Somehow, my 986 sensed my procrastination and thought best to fix itself. 

How many other cars are awesome enough to take care of their owner like that?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, map said:

The 986 is to "Boxster" what the pre-impact bumper cars are to 911. 

When you sit the originals alongside their modern namesakes the newer versions seem to lack the finesse of their "forebears".

We each have our own aesthetic. For me the 987.1 is markedly more attractive on every measure. I feel the later versions have wandered away from the essential design.

23 hours ago, Jonobigblind said:

Not just ageing well, mine has developed some intelligence and decided to fix itself.  I had the common issue with the indicator that wouldn’t stay on if turning right.  Somehow, my 986 sensed my procrastination and thought best to fix itself. 

How many other cars are awesome enough to take care of their owner like that?

I think mine must have developed the powers of speech and asked yours how it fixed itself! Either that or it developed a sense of humour and  was just F'ing with me, because I had the exact same thing happen - except it was the wiper stalk...spooky!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dpg123 said:

I think mine must have developed the powers of speech and asked yours how it fixed itself! Either that or it developed a sense of humour and  was just F'ing with me, because I had the exact same thing happen - except it was the wiper stalk...spooky!

Damn, I went ahead and fixed mine. Perhaps if I had waited longer, it would have fixed itself!