Exhaust volume/sound/tuning etc

kdh

I have a 987 Cayman with a PSE and it sounds lovely with the valves open...but not quite loud enough.

Are there any extra mods I can do to make it a bit louder/crackle more?

I have no idea about cats and manifolds but have been told that replacing these might do the trick.

Anyone tried anything like that?

Many thanks.

If you google de snorkelling 987 and you should find some videos.

I removed the passenger side vent cover and the black plastic end cover behind it, I also used a bit of mesh over the air inlet. It will all be in a YouTube video.

I used BMC air filters on both my 987 s but I’ve used k&n on my 981. I think as long as you use a quality oiled mesh filter the sounds should be the same 👍

Don’t remove the snorkel, just the baffle plate over the intake. I ordered the 3D printed mesh featured in this video to cover the hole, his email is in the link and he makes them to the colour and decals you specify.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BBB said:

Don’t remove the snorkel, just the baffle plate over the intake. I ordered the 3D printed mesh featured in this video to cover the hole, his email is in the link and he makes them to the colour and decals you specify.

Why not remove the Snork?

Having done my own testing, I definitely have a smoother torque band and no negatives from removing the Snork

8 hours ago, MickH said:

Why not remove the Snork?

Having done my own testing, I definitely have a smoother torque band and no negatives from removing the Snork

That’s interesting! Everything I’d read said to keep the snorkel as it helps to get colder induction air and denser air equates to better power. By removing the snorkel you are also sampling air from inside the hotter engine bay.

1 hour ago, BBB said:

That’s interesting! Everything I’d read said to keep the snorkel as it helps to get colder induction air and denser air equates to better power. By removing the snorkel you are also sampling air from inside the hotter engine bay.

The snork actually sits within a cold air intake. So I can't see how it would be of any benefit other than to reduce intake noise. 

There was a great thread on it on planet9 but its been archived unfortunately. 

• 2 years later...

I made my own replacement for the baffle,  it's 3D printed from TPU (hard rubber like) has the 'ribbed' flange to press fit in and most importantly a radius input for better flow. It also allowed a closed cell foam strip to be fitted that stopped the snorkel from rattling..

five.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

• Like 1

If you want a louder zorst - you need to remove things that restrict it.

Either go for replacement 200 CEL "sports cats", or replace the back boxes with aftermarket. The latter can be found valved or un-valved.

I would not recommend both as it will be VERY LOUD

yeah its either a sports cat on the manifold, or a complete decat manifold, and/or a sports back box.

on my 987, i'm going to leave the standard manifolds with cats as they are, and just change the back box for a topgear exhaust - which will remove the secondary cats.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:11 PM, Blakey said:

I made my own replacement for the baffle,  it's 3D printed from TPU (hard rubber like) has the 'ribbed' flange to press fit in and most importantly a radius input for better flow. It also allowed a closed cell foam strip to be fitted that stopped the snorkel from rattling..

five.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

Do you sell these? if you dont.. you should, i'd buy one!

• Like 1

Very nice of you to say so, thanks,  but I've no plans (at the moment) to sell these, I made them as I was removing the baffle (for me, I don't need it, others may need it). The snorkel was tapping on the holder for the baffle so rather than just putting a foam packer on the end I made a new inlet, it helped too with the flow in to the snorkel whilst keeping the other aspects of the design intact. I doubt it will have any significant impact on performance,  just a little bit, but it does sound better.