981S->981 GTS

Withy

42 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Is that the one from QCC Wickford? I only live 5 minutes away and looked at it when i test drove a white S there a while ago, just couldnt stretch to it 😢

Although to be honest i couldn't stretch to the S they had at the time either & £40k, Think yours is up on their site already and at the price they have it up for it would have been within my budget if i hadn't bought my base 6 weeks ago.

Im in Rayleigh,  literally a few minutes from that there,  i bought a RS3 from them a few years back.  I did see a grey one on the forecourt a few days back

Edited by robporsche

1 hour ago, Justchris said:

Is that the one from QCC Wickford? I only live 5 minutes away and looked at it when i test drove a white S there a while ago, just couldnt stretch to it 😢

Although to be honest i couldn't stretch to the S they had at the time either & £40k, Think yours is up on their site already and at the price they have it up for it would have been within my budget if i hadn't bought my base 6 weeks ago.

Yep QCC it was, and I noticed my old S was advertised there already- they don’t hang about! 

Edited by Withy

22 minutes ago, Graham BGTS said:

When I looked at some BGTS there was degradation to the headlamp units. Is this a common issue and what causes it? 

UV mainly which can be exasperated with some of these paint protection products Porsche love to sell you too.  

10 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Congrats on the new car and for sure the man maths sound spot on to me!

It's the same age & model as mine with similar specs essentially.

FYI the MPS4S tyres make such a huge difference especially on the 20" rims too.  I think you're on P Zeros from the pics and I had a set of N0's then N1's of these before the Michelins.

The PASM and steering will feel much improved with new rubber too, so it'll only get better!

Totally agree on the tyres. I went from P Zero's to MP4S's on my previous S, so know exactly what you mean... the other item is that I'm back suffering from Ackermans effect with the Pirellis.  They have a fair bit of life in them yet, but will 100% switch back to Michelin's when it's time

13 hours ago, Withy said:

Totally agree on the tyres. I went from P Zero's to MP4S's on my previous S, so know exactly what you mean... the other item is that I'm back suffering from Ackermans effect with the Pirellis.  They have a fair bit of life in them yet, but will 100% switch back to Michelin's when it's time

I have to reverse off my drive over a dropped kerb on full lock (almost) and the Pirellis crabbed and hopped where as the MPS4S tyres don't fuss - shows the compliance.

• Like 1

Well that looks lovely

In terms of price and given the general craziness of the price rises (has it flattened yet?) would you have had to pay more to change do you think, ie. the px went up but did the GTS go up by an equal amount I wonder?

18 hours ago, moospeed said:

Well that looks lovely

In terms of price and given the general craziness of the price rises (has it flattened yet?) would you have had to pay more to change do you think, ie. the px went up but did the GTS go up by an equal amount I wonder?

Yes I’m sure although I got a good px for my S, the GTS also rose in price, so cost to change may have been similar. That said, the GTS was an ok price compared to some on autotrader, so I ignored any real financial calculation and just went with man maths :)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Withy said:

Yes I’m sure although I got a good px for my S, the GTS also rose in price, so cost to change may have been similar. That said, the GTS was an ok price compared to some on autotrader, so I ignored any real financial calculation and just went with man maths :)

Man maths for the win for sure, I’ll possibly be using the same calculator in the next couple of years. As I don’t actually “need a car”, it’s a toy, there’s a school of thought that selling mine high now and buying when that bubble bursts makes sense but no-one knows what will happen with prices so can’t take that risk.  Plus it means I still get to play in the meantime.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Not certain the bubble on the 981 will burst, if there were plenty 718 4.0ls coming through then maybe but production has been effected and there's a gap to fill. These are the next best thing.

Once production goes back to pre-covid levels, things should normalize right? I know nothing about how cars are produced, but sounds like the issues we face today are covid induced? I assume there must be plenty of people who still want the 718 4.0s..

(When covid will actually end is a good question tho, looking at the recent numbers..)

Edited by Tarun

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Graham BGTS said:

Hi Withy, I just wondered how you were finding the GTS after a few weeks? 

So I’ve not really been out much and the weather is super cr@p here which doesn’t help.

the other night I took my eldest daughter out for a spin and gave it the beans on a few back roads, I’d say this

- it does ‘feel’ quicker than my previous S, but some of that will be down to the noise from PSE and general theatre that it brings
- since I never had Sport Plus before, it’s interesting to put the car in that mode - the gearchanges are too ferocious for me in that mode, but silly things like steering wheel lighting up ‘sport plus’ is kinda cool.  I don’t know which mode provides more pops and crackles from PSE, I think Sport is actually more boy racerish 
- toys are good, DAB, Cruise, PDLS+ are are all welcome
- GT Silver is lovely
- Handling I’ve not noticed anything.. but ackermans judders from the PZero’s are not nice. MP 4S’s for sure when it’s time to change 
- The whole GTS-ness with interior etc is really pleasing. For sure I’m a fan of Alcantara now
- I took it to my local Indy for a once over and it came out mostly ok, but there is a slight knock from a rear suspension arm which is getting sorted on Friday, and also exhaust gasket needs done, so that will be sorted,  apparently the battery is causing stop start. To to work, but I think previous owner may have just coded that with PIWIS or similar, will see when it goes in

when/if the rain ever stops in Scotland, I’ll do a running report or something as just not had much of a chance to play yet

I’ve just noticed this thread - many congratulations @Withy, the 981 BGTS is a bit special, you will love the car and I suspect hang onto it for a while.  The PSE is great but I do often choose quiet mode as the pops and crackling is tiresome all the time - interestingly I think on full throttle and higher revs the exhaust opens up regardless of setting!

• Like 1

Stop Start has three settings:

1.  UK standard - Always on after ignition

2.  US standard  - Always off after ignition

3.  Remember last setting before ignition off

I've had mine set to 3 and then just turn it on before it goes in for any warranty work.  Interestingly enough it's always returned in the off position, so I guess the technicians hate it too.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, Withy said:

Handling I’ve not noticed anything.. but ackermans judders from the PZero’s are not nice. MP 4S’s for sure when it’s time to change 

Mine has MP4's and its still bad, much more than the 987

I've had almost no ackerman judders since putting the MP4S's on, although it also had the X73 added with alignment to suit.

I say almost, as I can't actually recall any, but my memory is pants.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...