BC Coil overs fitted to Boxster 986

andrewwalling

I am considering a suspension upgrade on my 986 Boxster 2.7 Tiptronic

Considering a Bilstein upgrade or a set of coil overs

Does any one have any experience with the BC Coilovers

https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/porsche-coilovers/porsche-boxster-986-96-04.html?SID=de8d6af522ff217b7339af4d5f427e83

I had the same dilemma. Did loads of research and decided Koni Sports were the best fast road option for me on H&R springs.  

If you decide on coilovers also look at ST (the cheaper KW but similar performance) and PB coilovers

Loads of info and personal experience reviews out there. 

When I rebuilt my suspension last year I went for the Koni Special Active OE equivalent shock and kept original springs.  Very happy with the handling and ride combination.  I would reckon that anything else would lose the compliant ride. I would say that fresh everything does change the ride somewhat from tired suspension including stiffening up the damping as well as the rubber bushes so getting a 20 year old car back to factory fresh.

You have Ritland as your location so local to me, would be happy to meet up so you can have a spin in mine to feel the difference.

Just bear in mind that as a road suspension system it is designed around the flex in the suspension rubbers to work effectively.  Going for hard poly bushes could cause harshness, add noise or even damage parts, although ARB bushes shouldn't be an issue.  First step might be to go for Boxster S ARBs which are a bigger diameter than the 2.7 but just use a different rubber in the same mountings.

I'm on Koni SA's and the original springs, like ½cwt. All the drop links, tuning forks and coffin arms have been replaced, along with the front top mounts. Centre Gravity, who did my suspension rebuild, discouraged me from reverting to polyurethane bushes, for the same reasons ½cwt mentioned. But we did also take the opportunity to swap out my original 986 S ARBs (there wasn't much left of the aft one) for two-way adjustable Eibach ones, currently on their softer setting. If I ever make it to any meets east of the M1 I'd be happy to exchange 'reference' drives. 

Oh, and another thing, it's a bit stupid but I'll mention it: never trust petrol station air pumps, I thought my rear tires were inflated to 36 psi when I took it to CG but it turned out I was actually on 44 psi and that was destroying my ride. Shocking! Invest in a handheld digital pressure gauge. 

I'd be up for that, just as soon as I've sorted out my shifter (the Function First Shift Right kit arrived in the mail on Tuesday. It's my present to the car for its 20th birthday. Beats a cake with spark plugs on it instead of candles...). All I need is a quiet dry weekend and then I'm good to go. 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand

Guys

this is great help thanks very much for the advice, I think this is going to be a winter project and you have set me down the Koni Ruote

I will need to change Top mounts and Bump stops as well and I will look at the anti Roll bar bushes next time I am under the car

One question on the Rear as far as I can see these need to be pre set and once they are fitted then you can adjust them is that correct and if so any suggetion on what to set them too?

3 minutes ago, andrewwalling said:

I was also looking at the Koni Sport kit 11407791

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1346356/porsche/koni-sport-suspension-kits/1140-7791.html

I dont think the special Active comes as a kit?

Correct, Koni Special Active is an OE replacement to work with the original springs.

The Koni Sport will be more like the M030 perhaps even a touch firmer. I can't remember but worth checking what they recommend on springs too as the body may be shorter therefore only shorter stiffer springs can be used. It all depends on where you want to be on the ride comfort Vs handling spectrum. 

1/2cwt This has been such a great help sorry I had got mixed up with the sport. I think the special active is more what I am looking for and to be honest I am not looking to lower the car too much either.

Can I ask just one more question Std Springs do you have any suggestions and what are the lengths of the std springs

But is I did lower again any suggestions on springs

Andrew

Standard spring as around £200 to 230 a pair for new. Unless badly corroded or broken I'd not change them. I had a broken front spring which had to be changed but the rears are original at 21 years and 103k miles. 

There are standard and -10mm springs out there that will fit with the Koni Special Active shocks but other will have to chip in here to assist although look at Carparts4less, Autodoc and Design 911 for inspiration.

Cannot recommend Orbit tyres in Wellingborough highly enough for alignment. They have the Hunter. Just had my new one done. The boss has had 2 Boxsters  and a Cayman and is good with these cars. Mine wasn't a mile out but it made a huge difference. They got half a degree of camber on the fronts which is well outside of Porsche spec but the darned thing dives for apexes in a very enthusiatic way. And they are extremely reasonable on price. You won't be sorry.

BTW you dodged a bullet with the BCs. Don't know if they're better now but a lot of people fitted them back in my Subaru days and the horror stories were endless.

Edited by JonSta

I have had very good service from Kwik Fit in Kettering as I take the Boxster, company car, wife's car and step daughters care in there so they know me as a frequent visitor and I think they like people seeing a Porsche on the ramps for time to time and they are friendly at MOT time too....  As I figured I'd be doing some suspension work (little did I know how much in the end!) I bought their Geo Care package, up to 8 alignments over 24 months, for at the time £120 IIRC.  I took it in 5 times over the two years so got my money's worth given if it £70 a time otherwise.

Problem with Kwik Fit like any of the tyre chains is finding a good and capable one, as others I've used have been both good and dreadful (avoid KF Corby).  Word of mouth is the best way of finding a decent place.

Thanks Guys for the update

I will keep you posted on the progress

Big list

Brake disk and pads all round

bleed brakes and new brake fluid

Shocks Springs and bump stops and dust covers all round see how the top mounts are when I take them apart

😀😉

Don’t forget about the other consumables worth swapping at the same time,

• droplinks (may die in the removal process)
  • bump stops (almost certainly knackered)
  • top mounts & bearings

At the same time check all of your bushes, ball joints, toe links, etc. much easier to replace at the same time.

You may end up removing calipers, in which case it’s a good idea to replace the bolts.