Porsche Experience Centre

Graham W

I was lucky to get a Boxster Driving Experience for my birthday present this year and cannot recommend it enough.  Fabulous patient instructor took me through the high speed circuit, low resistance circuit, the watery skid pan and the "kick plate" experience as well as the launch control and braking straight. Well worth anybody's money.  The main lesson was to be SMOOTH in both steering, braking and acceleration in all circumstances, on road and especially on track.

A couple of quick asides that I learnt were that you don't have to be in Sports Plus to use launch control.  Just leave it in Normal and press the magic turbo boost button, then hard on the brake, floor the throttle and release the brake and off you go!  Another interesting feature was that if you leave the auto stop start button alone and the engine dies, perhaps at a junction, just slightly twitch the wheel to the right or left and the engine immediately starts up again!  Handy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham W said:

A couple of quick asides that I learnt were that you don't have to be in Sports Plus to use launch control.  Just leave it in Normal and press the magic turbo boost button, then hard on the brake, floor the throttle and release the brake and off you go!  Another interesting feature was that if you leave the auto stop start button alone and the engine dies, perhaps at a junction, just slightly twitch the wheel to the right or left and the engine immediately starts up again!  Handy!

Nice tips.  Anyone know if these work on 981s, or were they only programmed into the 718s?

Not sure if anyone here has a bad word to say about PEC :) 

16 hours ago, Required said:

Does that mean they've reverted to instructor in the car, rather than chasing another car?

My Son went a few weeks ago, instructor in car.

18 hours ago, Graham W said:

I was lucky to get a Boxster Driving Experience for my birthday present this year and cannot recommend it enough.  Fabulous patient instructor took me through the high speed circuit, low resistance circuit, the watery skid pan and the "kick plate" experience as well as the launch control and braking straight. Well worth anybody's money.  The main lesson was to be SMOOTH in both steering, braking and acceleration in all circumstances, on road and especially on track.

What's the "magic boost button"??

15 minutes ago, Pezky said:

What's the "magic boost button"??

The round boost button on the steering wheel 4 o'clock.  It allows you to select Normal, Sports and Sports Plus options by turning the knob.  Push the button in the centre and it gives you 20 secs of extra turbo boost.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the experience as well, what became clear is that the car has more talent than I do. After years of trying to drive smoothly my instructor pushed me to go quicker and use more of everything.. I said I felt guilty for throwing him around as we went quicker and pushed everything, his response “ I get paid for being thrown around , press on..” . A great day. I had the two hour course and that packs a lot in to a small time. Absolutely great value for money. Interestingly I was with Merv and he reckons the best handling car in the range is the Boxster S with PASM option, and he’s driven all of the range over many years…! 

• Like 2