Light Switch

Toddie

Had trouble with my light switch tonight, no dipped beam coming on, wiggled it around pushed it in, pulled fog lights on, got lights to come on. My question is anyone used switch cleaner on these with any success? If so how?
I suspect new switch is required, are there any viable alternatives to the genuine Porsche part? 
Any info gratefully received.

Believe it is a VW/Audi part, there is info on here somewhere...

Porsche part number is 996 613 535 00 about £140 from Porsche with a bit of discount or Design 911 have an after market one of about £90 incl VAT

Edited by ½cwt

@1/2cwt Just reading on the web that the ignition switch can also cause problems with dipped beam headlights, the question is how to identify which is the problem item? Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe start with the ignition switch and see? Its cheaper if a little harder to fit!

We have the light switches

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/1966

I had the help of @Patt and simply swapped light switches. If it was the ignition switch at fault you'd likely have or to come other symptoms. 

@T911UK@1/2cwt @edc  Thanks for your replies guys, I am going to moniter the car over the next week or so and see how it behaves, but as I very rarely use the car @ night it is not a pressing issue, also I am having left hip replacement surgery @ end of November, I suspect it will be a new year project! I spoke to my Indie to day and he reckons ignition switch is the most likely cause.

Do the side lights come on? In my case they did but the main wouldn't unless you flicked the switch hard. 

@edc  no neither could I, but when I asked my indie about it, the first thing he told me was if it's just dipped beam it is nearly always the ignition switch @ fault!

At 20 years old, both switches are not massively expensive in the scheme of things and access is in the same area if you go through the side vent and you tehn know teh problem is solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought that I would update this, having done a load of Google research etc I found a you tube video on cleaning the light switch on a 996 turbo ( same switch ) which shows you how to clean the switch contacts using an aerosol of switch cleaner. I must confess I was skeptical, but followed the video having bought a £7-80 can off the bay of thieves, and hey ho I now have working headlights again. Let’s just hope it continues to work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, GmanB said:

Hmmm doesn't sound right to me. When the ignition switch goes, most report a good amount of electrical problems. 

Yes that is very true. My ignition switch was worn and a bit temperamental and on occasion the lights wouldn't work at all, nor did the heater blower. You had to turn the key back just a smidgin and then it would all be fine again. Cost £15 and a lot of swearing to get the old one out and the new one in but everything is fine now. This sounds to me like a temperamental light switch. Do you have any other electrical gremlins or is it just the dipped beams?

• 1 year later...

Hi I`m new to this forum and signed up to get more info on my 52 plate 986 headlight switch which doesn't work on dipped or main beam but the spots come on. Interested to read a simple switch cleaner seemed to do the job as a new switch is something like £150. Might go down this road first, whichever way the switch still needs to be removed.

59 minutes ago, Graham Davenport said:

Hi I`m new to this forum and signed up to get more info on my 52 plate 986 headlight switch which doesn't work on dipped or main beam but the spots come on. Interested to read a simple switch cleaner seemed to do the job as a new switch is something like £150. Might go down this road first, whichever way the switch still needs to be removed.

This is the text extract from the 986 Workshop Manual for LHD cars, so this applies to the right side air vent for RHD cars...

Wp1qM2i.jpg

Use this link too: PLEASE READ before changing out headlight switch!!! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums 

Edited by ½cwt

@Graham Davenport just seen your post, to clean the switch you do not need to remove it from the car, you remove the turn handle from the switch, by pulling the switch part out as per fog lights on, then using a small flat bladed screwdriver release a small catch underneath the switch in the handle part, and remove that part, which then leaves you with a tube going through the switch, spray your switch cleaner down there with the thin tube, give it a couple of squirts then put knob pack on and turn switch on & off a number of times, this cleans the switch. It did for me. I followed a you tube video, but can’t find it now!