3.2s boxster engine 2001 rebuild or replacement

sierra5

There's a fair number of salvage motors out there at the various breakers.  Need to ensure you have the donor car's mileage, service history etc but bear in mind no warranty.  All depends how deep your pockets are for a car worth what, £6k??  Hartech could cost you all of that.  Besides what has failed or what symptoms or what mileage make you think a rebuild is necessary?

Depends on your emotional attachment to the car, for me when the engine goes pop I will have it rebuilt as I have owned from new albeit with a 7 year gap, but it won’t be leaving the family now.

if you don’t have an emotional attachment then sell for parts and start again, your money your choice.

I have heard good things about Harlech so I would be getting a quote from them for sure

Edited by the baron
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

There's a fair number of salvage motors out there at the various breakers.  Need to ensure you have the donor car's mileage, service history etc but bear in mind no warranty.  All depends how deep your pockets are for a car worth what, £6k??  Hartech could cost you all of that.  Besides what has failed or what symptoms or what mileage make you think a rebuild is necessary?

thanks for information - there is an internal noise and so will get in touch with hartech. any others, ams prosche?

3 hours ago, sierra5 said:

thanks for information - there is an internal noise and so will get in touch with hartech. any others, ams prosche?

What is the internal noise?

Not every “odd” sound is terminal.

Have you had the car connected to either a Porsche or DurametricPro diagnostic tool? If so what were the reported parameters?

I've got a noisy tappet on mine on the left bank.  Far too expensive to address as a single issue.  No metal or plastic in the filter at oil changes, advice I've had is to just drive it.

• Like 1

As @map has said, you need to look into this a little further. The noise could be something that doesn't warrant attention. If it does require attention, it could be something that isn't anywhere near intensive as a rebuild. You should get an opinion from a trustworthy professional who is familiar with the M96 engine. Whether it required a rebuild / replacement engine at this stage is hypothetical.

Regarding the rebuild / replace engine / break car / etc - my 2p as somebody who's dealt with terminal engine failure. There is no right answer - there are too many variables with both the car, and the owner.

My learned friend whose car has had more engines than clutches will correct me, but if you take the engine apart, you're at (a minimum) £2k in parts just to put it back together, as is. This figure is a constant, and covers things like gaskets, seals, bolts, etc. This excludes labour, and replacing anything that has actually broken / is worn out. Without actually knowing what's broken, it's possible to go down the rabbit hole.

The ballpark figure I had for a "basic" rebuild to include chains / guides / bearing was £4k. Suspect that figure would have been easily doubled if I'd gone down the rebuild route, to fix what was actually wrong with it.

A good friend managed to source me an engine with 24k miles for just under £4k, which is the route I went down. Parts and labour all in, came to just under £5k. This included fluids, filters, plugs, and preventative maintenance such as AOS and water pump - all / most of which would be on top of any quote received for a rebuilt engine. I was lucky procuring my replacement engine at that price. I certainly wouldn't advocate buying an unknown engine with six figure miles at £3k.

The £5k, added to the £2.5k I was offered for the car as a non-runner would have given me a pot of £7.5k for a different car - this wouldn't have got me a car I'd be happy with without spending even more money on it. If the car was otherwise a dog, with a knackered interior / exterior, and feked suspension, I'd have bought another one. Your own car may be at either end of the spectrum, or somewhere in between.

TLDR:
You first need to determine what's up with your own car. If it does need a rebuild (and it may not), you're doing well if you manage this for under £6k. Then you need to ask yourself whether it's worth (to you - not random people on the internet) fixing the car, and if so, could it be more cost effective getting a replacement engine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

As @map has said, you need to look into this a little further. The noise could be something that doesn't warrant attention. If it does require attention, it could be something that isn't anywhere near intensive as a rebuild. You should get an opinion from a trustworthy professional who is familiar with the M96 engine. Whether it required a rebuild / replacement engine at this stage is hypothetical.

Regarding the rebuild / replace engine / break car / etc - my 2p as somebody who's dealt with terminal engine failure. There is no right answer - there are too many variables with both the car, and the owner.

My learned friend whose car has had more engines than clutches will correct me, but if you take the engine apart, you're at (a minimum) £2k in parts just to put it back together, as is. This figure is a constant, and covers things like gaskets, seals, bolts, etc. This excludes labour, and replacing anything that has actually broken / is worn out. Without actually knowing what's broken, it's possible to go down the rabbit hole.

The ballpark figure I had for a "basic" rebuild to include chains / guides / bearing was £4k. Suspect that figure would have been easily doubled if I'd gone down the rebuild route, to fix what was actually wrong with it.

A good friend managed to source me an engine with 24k miles for just under £4k, which is the route I went down. Parts and labour all in, came to just under £5k. This included fluids, filters, plugs, and preventative maintenance such as AOS and water pump - all / most of which would be on top of any quote received for a rebuilt engine. I was lucky procuring my replacement engine at that price. I certainly wouldn't advocate buying an unknown engine with six figure miles at £3k.

The £5k, added to the £2.5k I was offered for the car as a non-runner would have given me a pot of £7.5k for a different car - this wouldn't have got me a car I'd be happy with without spending even more money on it. If the car was otherwise a dog, with a knackered interior / exterior, and feked suspension, I'd have bought another one. Your own car may be at either end of the spectrum, or somewhere in between.

TLDR:
You first need to determine what's up with your own car. If it does need a rebuild (and it may not), you're doing well if you manage this for under £6k. Then you need to ask yourself whether it's worth (to you - not random people on the internet) fixing the car, and if so, could it be more cost effective getting a replacement engine.

I may have missed something recently... did your yellow boxster need a new engine recently? 

Everything @K.I.T.T. says above is true - even the more engines than clutches bit.

@sierra5 - please make sure you need a rebuilt/replacement engine before committing to either route.

If, as others have said, your car is a keeper (for whatever reason) then do the sums and make sure it will show a positive return for you. 

Tappety noises are common in these cars as they are in 996’s you can spend thousands chasing a noise that maybe just normal for these cars, get it checked out but think twice before spending £££ on it. My car has done 212k and has had various noises, it still pulls strong, doesn’t smoke or drink any fluids and is dry as a bone underneath so you just don’t know.