No spare wheel

petemac

Bought a lovely Guards Red 987 and absolutely love it however there is no spare wheel which I had in my old 986, what do you guys carry in the event of a flat tyre.

As always your advice would be greatly appreciated, the kit that comes with the 987 is now 10 years old so I'm assuming it's past it's sell by date.

Thanks folks.

I and many others carry a Silverline tyre repair kit. About £15 from ebay etc. I have never used it (tempting fate!) but I know plenty that have and they work well. I go lots of remote places in my Boxster and wouldn't be without it. I also bought a genuine Porsche jack, handle, wheel alignment guide etc off ebay which I wouldn't be without either. The only punctures I have had I've fortunately always noticed at home - at least I can get the wheel off and take it to be repaired in our other car.

Edited by BrianJ

Touching wood and all that but in 20 years across multiple cars and close on 500K miles I have only once needed a spare - when I got side swiped by a lorry that ripped the sidewall out of the tyre. Every other time I have been able to pump the tyre up enough to get me home. Recently I also started carrying some valve cores and a little tool to replace them after a mate got sidelined by a 15pence core that failed.

The plug kits sound worth having for that one time when it is needed but otherwise, pump it up, drive slowly, check often and have a decent recovery service.

Get gunk and an AA membership.  You can carry a 986 spare in the front but effectively you have nowhere to store the damaged wheel that you take off. Unless you carry a rubber mat and bungee cords and strap it to the top of the boot, as one member has devised.

21 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Get gunk and an AA membership.

Had a salutory lesson recently about self-sufficiency. Came across a disabled guy broken down on a tiny road in an area of N Yorkshire with no mobile phone reception. Busy weekend. Stopped to help. Asked us if we could phone the AA for him when we reached mobile signal. It was about 20 mins drive before we found a signal. Stopped in signal area and called the AA. Spent an hour stationary by roadside listening to "we are busy" message, then lost signal. Tried again when got more signal, same thing. Eventually, still waiting for AA on one phone, called 101 to report to police. Got "we are busy" message. Nearly 2 hours after finding this guy and becoming increasingly concerned, rang 999 and explained. They were helpful, said now only short wait for 101, try again. Waited 10 mins, they said they would send someone out to see if he still needed help. Best we could do. So it's easy to assume that when you need help all services will be immediately available, not necessarily true.  Had a similar experience in Ireland some years ago with a group of foreign tourists late one Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere who had ripped the side of a tyre on their hired SUV. No spare. That's what caused me to buy the Silverline kit and a jack!  I'm not claiming the Silverline will repair a rip, but it made me think about the issue.

Edited by BrianJ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

This is the sealant that Porsche supply, but a lot cheaper. The one in your frunk is probably out of date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terra-S-1099000-Tyre-Sealant

I recently had a puncture in a near new rear tyre (the correct Michelin). Big lump of steel (a paint scraper blade) in the middle of the tread. Had to remove it as it made a horrible noise on each turn of the wheel And air escaped. Would have got a parking ticket if I'd left the car. So used the sealer in the toolkit. Which worked, despite being 10 years old. Tried several local places who all said the tyre was scrap due to the sealant, without even looking at it. With hindsight, I should have gone home (not that far), got my trolley jack, and taken the wheel to get fixed. And would have been quids in, including the parking fine. But not sure the cut in the tread made by the blade would have been repairable and safe. Dunno what it is about Boxsters. I've had more punctures etc in the two I've owned for about 5 years than in 20 years of other cars.

A mate once discovered that the irreparable damage done to a tyre by tyre sealant was miraculously fixed by the insertion of a 20 pound bits into the hands of the tyre fitter.  

the issue he was told is that the machines they use to pull the tyre off the rim and the inside of the tyre need a wash post sealant and that’s a level of service that isn’t part of the standard pricing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

A mate once discovered that the irreparable damage done to a tyre by tyre sealant was miraculously fixed by the insertion of a 20 pound bits into the hands of the tyre fitter.  

the issue he was told is that the machines they use to pull the tyre off the rim and the inside of the tyre need a wash post sealant and that’s a level of service that isn’t part of the standard pricing.  

With tyres well over 200 quid each, having to pay a little more to fix a puncture likely worth while, if plenty tread left.