Respray 978.1

Verner

Hi Guys,

just wondering what a respray for my 987.1 would cost roughly?

It has loads of little age related nicks and scores and I would potentially like to get it fully sorted. I don't think detailing would do, it may be easier to get it all done at once.
The paint seems so easy to scratch currently. You look at it the wrong way and it scores!

Anyway, just looking for a ballpark figure and if anyone could recommend somewhere in North Yorkshire or close, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Any ideas, suggestions would be gratefully received,

Cheers and beers,

Verner

No 1st hand experience but a decent job must be a few grand.  

a mate had a front end (bonnet bumper blended into wings and doors )  respray on a 964 at a high end body shop - fantastic job but came to 800 quid. 

I asked for my 986 about a year ago, 2500 to 3k plus VAT depending on how stripping and prep you want.  That said I have successfully had both front and rear bumpers done with no notable colour match issue on Arctic Silver 92U paint. Considering getting bonnet done too. Based on providing them off the car and stripped down of all attachments ready for them to prep, approx 200 +VAT each.

I can't help on the cost unfortunately, but I'm surprised that the current paint is easy to damage. Do you think it has been resprayed in the past or does it still have factory paint?

I've actually found mine relatively good. Last week, I slightly lost balance getting out of the car and smashed the corner of my laptop into the rear wing! I was obviously annoyed with myself, but also impressed to see that an impact like that caused what looks like a small stone chip with no associated dent. On some cars I've had previously, it would have caused much serious damage.

Mine is 16 years old now and has picked up quite a few marks despite being low mileage and garaged, but I still think that it has worn quite well.

Is Porsche paint and metal generally known as being quite hardwearing or not? Perhaps Ive just had bad cars in the past!

Edited by Daveb975

Hi Guys,

apologise for the delay in replying.

Thanks for all your kind help/advice.

I don't think mine has been resprayed before but it is incredibly easy to scratch. It has picked up loads of little scratches all over it in the 3 years I have had her. I would dearly love to get her done. But £7K, is way out of the question. I would probably, at a push, be ok with £3K.
Just have/had no idea of what to expect.

Verner

Best advice I can give from my own experience is find a shop that does restoration and custom work rather than one that does lots of insurance work. These are usually smaller businesses, drop by and spend some time talking to the owners who usually do the work as well.  Ask them to assess your car, show you some of their work and get in person references from other customers.  If they are not happy to do this you probably won't get the result you want from them.

11 minutes ago, JonSta said:

You'd probably be surprised how well it would come up with a machine polish and decent wax/ceramic. I think I would try that first before I shelled out the big bucks.

I don't know if they are frowned upon around here, but you can also buy coloured waxes that might mask some of the scratches and chips. There used to be one (I think it might be Turtle Wax) that had a touch up stick, a bit like a lipstick, which filled in the chips, and came in various common colours (it didn't need to be an exact match). I used it on a red Golf GTi and the effect was pretty good.

I've only ever had one car completely resprayed, it was a dark blue MX-5, and to be honest it was more trouble than it was worth. I had it sprayed in the original colour but with extra sparkle added into the clear coat, and it looked excellent when first done, but in no time it picked up marks and stone chips, plus rust came bubbling through the wheel arches, which is a common problem on MX-5's.

Good luck anyway mate.