Warranty for older cars

A warranty and a service plan are two totally different things. For servicing I simply have a separate account into which I pay X amount a month, knowing it will cover the cost of the service come the time.

Warranties make whoever sells them money, that is why they are available, so basically the odds are in your favour. Of course, that doesn’t help if you do get a big bill which WOULD have been covered under a warranty.

I'm not sure if your car would qualify for an OPC warranty, if so it needs to go through the 111 point check and anything that does not meed Porsche criteria would acquire to be addressed before a warranty would be sold.

If buying an aftermarket warranty, you need to be sure it will provide suitable cover.

If I was confident I had a good car I would just put the monthly cost of the warranty into the same account as the service and build up a "slush" fund so to speak.

You pays your money, you takes your chances...........

Porsche Warranty, Standalone, it's what I run mine on, cover up to 15 years old or 125k miles.

Last Service has to OPC and as above needs to pass the 111 point check and the car needs to be Porsche original parts, down to the battery (YMMV there).

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/approvedwarranty/

Edited by iborguk

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Porsche Warranty, Standalone, it's what I run mine on, cover up to 15 years old or 125k miles.

Last Service has to OPC and as above needs to pass the 111 point check and the car needs to be Porsche original parts, down to the battery (YMMV there).

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/approvedwarranty/

Sounds like money aside for servicing for me!

1 hour ago, fewtrees said:

Sounds like money aside for servicing for me!

It’s literally insurance. Had my monies worth of it on the last car. At about £60 a month it’s worth it to me for peace of mind. A PDK box is quite expensive to replace for example …

18 hours ago, iborguk said:

It’s literally insurance. Had my monies worth of it on the last car. At about £60 a month it’s worth it to me for peace of mind. A PDK box is quite expensive to replace for example …

Always worth it when you claim, never worth it when you don't. 😉

As I said, warranties make money for those selling them so the odds are on your side if you decide not to warranty.

I've never had an extended warranty on a car or bike and been lucky never to have been hit with a big bill that a warranty would have covered. In 41 years of owning bikes and cars, I shudder to think what it would have cost me had I taken out extended warranties on them.

So saying, had I kept the 718 I would have been taking the Porsche warranty. A few months before selling it had £1200 of warranty work done by the supplying OPC and the nature of the incident and subsequent conversation with Porsche would have had the car staying in the warranty network as long as I owned it.