981 s wanted

Stuno1

I'm a bit confused by your logic to increase your budget for a Cayman, take advantage of the fact you get more Boxster for your money.

There's really very little to lose out on and much more to gain with the Box, getting the roof down really ads to the sense of occasion.

5 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'm a bit confused by your logic to increase your budget for a Cayman, take advantage of the fact you get more Boxster for your money.

There's really very little to lose out on and much more to gain with the Box, getting the roof down really ads to the sense of occasion.

I’ll take which ever comes up first in the right spec at the right price. Just broadening my search and increasing my budget accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'm probably a bit of our of touch but how do 15 plate Boxsters compare price wise nowadays?

There are some at the price I am looking at that are s spec but they are high miles, 50k and above. 

13 hours ago, CMA said:

Nope, lethal is probably a bit over the top but the Michelins give much more confidence in all weather conditions, the Pirellis are great in heat or on track

It does depend whether you have the N0 or later N1 P Zeros.  N0 are at the very least bloody dangerous and especially on cold & wet roads - so I'd stick by my lethal wording if you have an unexpected off..  They will let go when the N1 will grip & the step up to the MPS4S tyres is a big one.

You really ought to budget for new tyres if you like to push on & the car you're looking at is on P Zeros.

I didn't die either with P Zero N0 or N1 tyres on my car, but the speed at which you are safe at differs drastically.

On track the limiting factor is the front end geometry causing understeer, but the lack of outright grip & compliance of the Pirellis you will notice more so once they've been binned and another (better) tyre driven in the same set of circumstances & environment.

10 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

It does depend whether you have the N0 or later N1 P Zeros.  N0 are at the very least bloody dangerous and especially on cold & wet roads - so I'd stick by my lethal wording if you have an unexpected off..  They will let go when the N1 will grip & the step up to the MPS4S tyres is a big one.

You really ought to budget for new tyres if you like to push on & the car you're looking at is on P Zeros.

I didn't die either with P Zero N0 or N1 tyres on my car, but the speed at which you are safe at differs drastically.

I've had all 3 of the tyres you list on my car over the last few years so have first hand experience of the differences. Only driven the N0 on track though so have no real world comparison there. It was certainly an eye opener when I went to the Michelins though, much improved confidence in the front end

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to see so many negative comments about the Pirelli P Zero.  I've got those on my car, and can't say I've had any problems with them, which either means (a) I'm an awesome driver, or (b) I'm not pushing the car hard enough :lol:  To be honest, I think it's almost certainly (b)..........  However, it has made me think about swapping to something else when the time comes to change them.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Interesting to see so many negative comments about the Pirelli P Zero.  I've got those on my car, and can't say I've had any problems with them, which either means (a) I'm an awesome driver, or (b) I'm not pushing the car hard enough :lol:  To be honest, I think it's almost certainly (b)..........  However, it has made me think about swapping to something else when the time comes to change them.

Once you have swapped and can make the comparison I think you will be pleasantly surprised..  Oh and annoyed you didn't change years ago too!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Once you have swapped and can make the comparison I think you will be pleasantly surprised..  Oh and annoyed you didn't change years ago too!

I only bought the car in March, and the P Zeros were already fitted, so I don't know any different and haven't looked at the alternatives yet.  This car will never go on a track day, and I'm a pretty sensible driver so I won't get anywhere near the handling limits on the road, but of course I want the best for my pride and joy.

I had PS4s on my last car. It clung on like grim death, inspired total confidence and told you exactly what was going on at all times. This is despite the fact that the rears were worn enough to get an MOT advisory. My new car has P0s and they're not terrible but they just don't give you the same unshakeable confidence that the Michelins did. This is on 19s with fairly new tread levels. With PASM on sport the car is pretty much glued to the road but I still think it would be better on PS4s.

BTW back on topic I can attest to the fact that @r1flyguy's car is immaculate, beautiful and priced very reasonably.

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

BTW back on topic I can attest to the fact that @r1flyguy's car is immaculate, beautiful and priced very reasonably.

I didn’t realise I was selling my car 😳

However I’m not sure it looks like a Boxster, maybe an oversized Cayman 🤪 and the right 💰 I could possibly be talked out of it 🤣

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Like 1

I sold a 986 with Goodyear AS2's fitted and bought a 981 with PZero N0's.  Was shocked at how little grip there was especially on the rears compared to the 986.  First time with the 981 on a roundabout I use a lot, was amazed when the the backend stepped at a pretty low speed. They were lousy in the rain and really noisy too.

Car was transformed when I fitted Goodyears as was my confidence when pressing on.  The car was also so much better in the cold and rain (and quieter). 

I prefer Goodyears over Michelins, very similar on the road but lasted twice as long on the 986.

Edited by RickLS7
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, Davey P said:

I only bought the car in March, and the P Zeros were already fitted, so I don't know any different and haven't looked at the alternatives yet.  This car will never go on a track day, and I'm a pretty sensible driver so I won't get anywhere near the handling limits on the road, but of course I want the best for my pride and joy.

Similar story here I think, bought mine in 2020 and the Porsche dealer had only just fitted four new Pirellis so it seems a bit nuts to me at the moment to change them over when it's driving fine.  In fact, I noticed that they'd fitted one of the tyres the wrong way round so they had it straight back to correct that - so that was double-dangerous maybe, and a bit sloppy of them...

Cheers guys for the tyre reviews and sorry to the OP for digressing...

• Like 1